Frary's

Contact 041-720050

Fondamente dei Frari, San Polo 2559, Venice, Italy,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Several vegan and vegetarian choices on menu, and the owner is willing to adapt other items - just ask. Pricey but average for Venice. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-3:00pm, Mon-Sun 6:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Greek, Non-veg

First Review by fm

best vegan meal - Edit

Very nice and cozy little place. Vegan and vegetarian options are marked as such in the menu. Food was really great and the owner is very nice and will modify some meals to make them vegan. A little on the pricy side, but still average for Venice. Had my best meal there during my stay in Venice. The vegan mixed plate as a starter is my personal recommendation.

Pros: nice place, vegan and vegetarian meals marked in menu

Cons: not exactly cheap

Best vegan meal I have tried - Edit

deserves 5 stars!!!

very nice atmosphere and extremely friendly staff! they even stayed open until we finished our meals ( 20 min more)!

Biriyani rice with tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, pine nuts, almonds, peas, chickpeas and hummus ( instead of yoghurt to make it vegan) was such an amazing dish, I couldn't stop until I cleared the plate, even though I was very full somewhere in the middle!! Fantastic! Also their pita bread with selection of dips ( hummus, aubergine, red pepper) is awesome. So tasty!

I was really amazed by the quality of food!

Definitely worth a visit!!

Pros: Delicious food , Many vegan options

Geschmacksvielfalt - tolle Auswahl - Edit

Hier ist für jeden was dabei, vegan, vegetarisch und fleischhaltig. Kein pseudovegan mit Tofuburgern, sondern gesunde, qualitativ hochwertige Küche mit einer herrlichen Geschmacksvielfalt. Jederzeit wieder.

Pros: interessante Auswahl an Gerichten, tolle Lage am kleinen Kanal, nicht so überlaufen, Veganer & Allesesser kommen dort auf ihre Kosten

Cons: die Dips sind überteuert

great food - Edit

when you arrive in front of the restaurant, you can read "mediterranean food with selection of vegetarian and vegan courses" : already like it! very friendly waitress, who speaks english, french,.. and know what vegan means. So I asked for an assortment of vegan meals, and I had a lot of good things to eat! it is easy to make your choice : each dish is clearely specified "veggie" or "vegan". A little bit expensive but it's Venise! I would definitely recommend it!

Accomodating! - Edit

Frary's was conveniently close to our hotel and also was accommodating to vegetarians which we found only one other place that was vegetarian/vegan in Venice. The lady (assuming it was the owner) gave us English menus right away, she was welcoming and friendly. She gave us suggestions on two options that we couldn't decide on, although I'm not one to eat meat very often I did try their chicken, raisin, walnuts and honey dish with rice. This was extremely flavorful and I loved it! My friend had tuna with vegetables and rice, and liked it as well. The dishes were not big portions for the 18 euros spent. We also tried their greek yogurt and cucumber dip, which was good, nothing special but because their dips seem to be 'signature' I would suggest having a 'signature' side that came along with it, not just pita bread that was already given. Maybe homemade crackers, rice cakes, etc.

We ended up going back before leaving Venice (forgetting how pricey it was) and I was a bit disappointed. I had chicken again with pomegranate seeds and their was absolutely no flavor to this, I had to ask for a side of honey to add something to it (this was even suggested by our waitress as it was one of her favorites). My friend had the vegetarian cous cous which she said was good but nothing special.

Suggestion: spice it up a bit and change the entree presentation! : )

Nice Vegetarian Option in Venice - Edit

Tried the vegetable couscous here. It was, as another reviewer mentioned, a bit bland - just boiled veggies over couscous - but after 10 days in Italy with very few vegetarian options that weren't grilled, fried, and drowning in olive oil, just plain, boiled veggies was a taste of homemade, healthy goodness to me! With some added salt and pepper, it was quite good. They also have hummus and a vegetable biryani, which we didn't try, but, all in all, Frarys seems to be one the best (and only) vegetarian options in Venice. Pleasant, kind of middle-eastern atmosphere. Our lady server, who I assume was the owner, brought us two shots of complimentary Limoncello after our meal, which was a nice touch. Would definitely go back and try more dishes.

Dolmades rule - Edit

The food was good as was the service. We were seated about half an hour before the restaurant closed for siesta. Though the sign said that they closed later than the woman told us. Despite this, they encouraged us to take our time eating and enjoy their food. The menu does not have pre-specified vegan or vegetarian options. However, if you tell your waiter or waitress you are looking for vegan options, they will sit down with you and go through the menu and tell you which items are already vegan and which can be made vegan. The dolmades are vegan and delicious! We also ordered pita bread with a sauce that was good. As an entree I ordered rice with vegetables and beans. By the end I was pleasantly full.

Pros: friendly service

Cons: incorrect closing time

Excellent experience - Edit

Very good veggie choice and pasta not mentioned! AC so no need to sit outside to keep cool in summer just sit in the dining room and enjoy the ambience. Have been to Venice many times and this is the best veggie food yet. The Biryani was special as was the fish pie. The desserts were very moorish and the atmosphere was friendly. Far better than another we have used which is now too busy and has lost its ambience.
Well done Frary's. We will return.

Pros: Tasty & fresh food, Helpful waitress, Value for money

totally okay - Edit

Small, nice, quiet place.
The vegan couscous was okay (bit boring) and the mixed starter was pretty good(falafel, dolma, grilled vegetables and a carrot-houmous(???).
Overall the food was nice, staff superfriendly and very helpful.
I recommend this to anyone, since it's pretty hard to find good vegan food and to find a place without typical tourists:)

Pros: good food, friendly staff, quiet

Cons: bit pricey

Good food, nice environment - Edit

I have been in this restaurant with my two friends. They both had the same vegetarian food and really liked it, I had a vegan dish (cous-cous with boiled vegetables and light vegetable stock).

Mine food was average but overall experience is much better because of pleasant atmosphere in the restaurant. Room design is very good, I also liked the music they play (Arabic songs). Fortunately, the music is not too loud so you can clearly hear others.

The staff is very, very nice and at the beginning, she asked us who we are (meat eater, vegetarian, vegan) and recommended some dishes.

The price is higher but not that high as other restaurant's prices in Venice.

I can recommend this to anyone who visits Venice and cannot find any vegan/vegetarian restaurant (that was our case).

Pros: restaurant environment, great staff, nice food

Cons: they serve meat as well, they could improve food quality

Excellent vegan choices for Italy! - Edit

After days and days of marinara pasta and pizza and simple salads, we were delighted to have some variety and more protein at this middle Eastern restaurant: falafels, vegetable biryani, tabuleh, dolmades, vegan appetizers, cous cous, olives, rice dishes. Next to Frary (Francisco) church.
Vesanto, Canada

Pros: Great vegan choices, Moderately inexpensive, Warm friendly owners & staff

Frary's- a hidden gem - Edit

We found this restaurant by chance (as it hadn't been listed on www.happycow.net prior to our visit) during our week-long stay in Venice in March 2008.

We were very pleased indeed with Frary's, and along with La Zucca, would rate it amongst the top two restaurants in Venice in terms of each of the following 4: vegetarian & vegan choices, quality of food, service and value for money.

Frary's fayre was simple and wholesome, yet with subtle and interesting flavours - very welcome and a good find of restaurant for both myself (vegetarian who usually opts for vegan choices in restaurants) and for my husband (a carnivore who has high standards of how he likes meat dishes cooked). Vegetables were cooked 'al dente' and dishes had good, flavoursome yet subtle sauces.

The music was relaxing, in particular a CD called "Arabic Groove" (which we have since bought on our return to the UK).

If we had discovered Frary's earlier in our holiday, we would most definitely have paid it a second visit.

Pros: Simple & wholesome, good quality food, Good menu choices, Good value for money; unpretentious

Return to Venice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Frary's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.