El Nuevo Mexicano

Contact 773-528-2131

2914 N Clark St (at W Diversey Pkwy), Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60657

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vegan options include chile rellenos, quesadillas, chimichangas, salads and more. Uses Upton's and Daiya cheeses. Nice comfortable atmosphere. Open .

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan

Flavorful Chile Relleños! - Edit

Went with non-Vegan friend and we both had a great meal. At least 6 items on the menu clearly labeled as Vegan. Upton proteins and Non-Dairy cheese. Great flavor! Great service. Outdoor seating in the back. Will be back to try other items on the menu.

Pros: variety, service, flavor

Vegan Mexican Food! - Edit

El Nuevo has vegan menu options throughout (marked "V") and they use Daiya cheese as well as local seitan heros, Upton's Naturals (chorizo seitan and chicken variety).

For appetizers, one could start with guacamole and chips. When I went, I asked them to make vegan quesadillas for an appetizer (as they had regular on the menu and I knew they had vegan cheese) and these were good although it's a lot of Daiya. I'd recommend splitting with a friend for sure!

The quinoa that came with the entrees was spiced like Mexican rice so it has a kick to it, be warned! I prefered the white rice instead. It is nice they offer another type of grain other than rice, though. I do like that the entree's generally come with a spring salad mixture of mango and jimica. It gives the meal some lightness to it, especially if one gets the fried entree's. The flautas were really good, although I am not a huge fan of chipotle! Another dish used Upton's Naturals chicken style seitan that was marinated and put into the mini tortillas with some vegetables. I really liked these! I just wish I could find it on their menu online. Perhaps it was a new item when I went there.

Pricing is a bit on the moderate side especially if one gets appetizers and drinks. I would prepare to pay at least $60 for a total bill of two people with appetizers, entree's, and drinks. If you want a nice Mexican dinner, though, I very much recommend El Nuevo Mexicano!

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2012/06/vegan-chicago-restaurant-review-of-el.html
Updated from previous review on Saturday July 21, 2012

Pros: vegan menu, uses local companies, high quality

Cons: moderately priced

Decent little Mexican place - Edit

I had the vegan quesidillas w/ 'chorizo'. It was pretty decent for Chicago Mexican food. But being originally from the SW, its hard to be unbaised. I felt the portion size was a bit on the sparse side too. The beer is extra pricey for some reason. I don't see myself rushing back there anytime soon but will always consider it a good option if I'm in the area. Kudos to the owners for making a vegan menu.

Pros: good location, decent food, vegan menu

Cons: alcohol prices

Separate vegan menu! - Edit

A fancy pants Mexican restaurant with a separate vegan menu! Well it's fancier than your typical Mexican joint and the employees are very friendly. I really disliked Mexican food until yesterday - perhaps my dislike may have had to do with the lack of vegan options or the uncertainty as to whether what I was ordering was vegan. Well those problems are nonexistent at El Nuevo, there are so many options you won't know what to order. I ended up with the Flautas de Verduras con Papa y Chorizo Vegano - OMG so good! The dish is comprised of 3 flautas filled with potatoes, veggies, Daiya cheese, and Upton's chorizo over a zesty chipotle salsa - YUM! The salad that came with it (mango salad) was surprisingly tasty as well. My bf loved his dish too and it's safe to say that this is our favorite Mexican place. They even have a patio in the back, so if it's nice outside be sure to get yourself seated out there. Be sure to ask for the vegan menu! 4.5 Cows!

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Nuevo Mexicano closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1424 times since May 2011.