El Caracol de Jade

1a Ote Nte (Jimenez), Palenque, Mexico,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Very basic outdoor cocina economic place, serving antojitas. Located just next to the church stairs, west of the square. Has a vegetarian section on the menu with tacos, burritos, tortas and more. Vegans ask for no cheese or sour cream. Open .

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by Eric_

Glad to find something! - Edit

We were glad to find a place in Palenque with a vegetarian section on the menu. I actually overlopers it first
since I wasnt expertise this to be an outdoor stall. The fruit juices are huge and cheap. I thought the portions were small ar first but it turned out to be very filling. Its simple, don't have high expextations, but it's very nice to be able to easily get some vegan food in a toen like Palenque.

Simple and cheap - Edit

I had the veg salad (very basic lettuce tomato avocado) and veg tacos. Big cheap fruit juices. Much better than the lonely planet listed Cafe de Yara, labelled as veg friendly but who served me the most ridiculous vegetarian sandwich ever (2 grilled toasts with a few boiled veg and nothing more, not even a small salad).

Pros: Cheap, Kind staff, Healthy fast food

Cons: More vegetarian friendly than vegan friendly, Bland taste

A nice find - Edit

My Spanish not being on a useful level, and knowing that Mexicans don't really "get" vegetarianism, I love a place with a veggie section on the meny. Shows that at least someone, at some point, thought something through (making Mexican fare vegetarian isn't very hard). Went twice during our short Palenque stay, and was even there a third time, but didn't have time to wait for a free table. This place serves the normal local snacks, and one can order them vegetarian without having to worry too much. Doesn't need to be more fancy than that! Delicious.

Pros: Simple cheap VEGETARIAN snacks

Cons: No toilet, no alcohol

Return to Palenque Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Caracol de Jade closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 964 times since Dec 2013.