El Buen Alimento

Contact 2-3755738

Carrera 2, 4-53, San Antonio, Cali, Colombia,

Nice setting and atmosphere. Menu features falafel, some Colombian dishes in veg version, tamales; coffee. Tue-Fri 11:30am-10:00pm, Sat 11:30am-11:00pm, Sun 11:30am-5:00pm Closed Mon.

Category: Lacto, International, Delivery, Fusion, Colombian

First Review by ElizabethPEI

great luñch, highly recommended - Edit

I visited El Buen Alimento with my daughter this lunch time, and had a lovely meal.
At my daughters advice I had the tamales because she said it was a very Columbian dish, it came with soup, salad desert and large passion fruit drink , all of which was very tasty, filling and well presented.
The setting was lovely very chilled and relaxed and all the staff were welcoming and friendly.
As well as the menu of the day there is an extensive menu all veggi and lots of vegan choices I will diffinantly be back this week.

Pros: great selection, very heathly, nice vibe

Good location, vegan ice cream!! - Edit

El Buen Alimento is a lovely, large restaurant in San Antonio, near to many hostels and the church on the hill. My partner and I loved the falafel wrap - especially as it came with a tray of delicious sauces. However, the most exciting part was the vegan dessert menu, which has awesome creamy mocha ice cream. Eat all the aforementioned items, as you won´t be able to find much ice cream, falafel or hummus in Colombia! Only downside is the price - most items were around 15,000 or more.

Pros: Vegan dessert, Falafel, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Price

Delicious lasagna and good menu - Edit

I went for lunch on a Saturday and choose the lasagna menu as it was 1000 pesos more than just lasagna and included soup, salad and a drink. I had the soup and then the huge lasagna with bread and salad arrived. It was delicious but I couldn't finish it as it was very filling. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Pros: Menu in Spanish and English , Lots of choice

poor service, semi-finished food - Edit

Me and my girlfriend went there because it's close to our hostel, and because we're both vegetarians. The staff was very impersonal, and we felt like we didn't belong there. We had jugo de mango, one with milk and one with water. Neither had a lot of taste. Then we had empanadas. They were quite good, but we got the impression they were not made in-house. This impression was confirmed when we got our main dishes. We had a salad and a lentil burger. The salad was a couple of lettuce leaves, and a lot of pieces of vegan "sausage", that was not good (could not finish them). Both the bread and the lentil "meat" in the burger was heated semi-finished food, and boring. We're not going back.

Pros: in a nice area

Cons: food not made in-house

Nice atmosphere, slow service - Edit

I've been to El Buen Alimento two times in September 2014, on my first day in Cali for a plate of falafels (COP 6,500) and a two fruits juice (5,000). They served it with a large selection of different salsas.
We went back for the "Hamburger Day" (Thursday): 2 hamburgers + 2 juices for 24,000 (normally the hamburgers start at 12,500). There is a vegan option for each hamburger, which is great, but the hamburgers (from chickpeas, lentils, etc.) weren't the best I tasted.
The two days, the service was very slow, but I liked how calm it was.
FYI, the set menu is at 10,000 (soup, salad, meal of the day, dessert of the day and juice), super cheap! It is even cheaper for the Tamal Menu (9,000).
Updated from previous review on Friday September 26, 2014

Pros: Vegan friendly, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Slow service

Vegan Friendly - Edit

Lovely place, abit more classy than the tipical almurzos menu. I told the waiter i was vegan&i wanted menu of the day. He said he understood &he will give me no cheese,egg or milk. When i got the main dish it had tiny bit of potatoe salad which had mayonaise in it so vegans would be best to say they dont eat mayo either. Other than that the meal was excellent got soup,brown rice with main,juice&,strawberries for 13000 abit more expensive than others but worth it

Pros: Enviroment, Friendly Staff, Good Chef&presentation

Cons: Mayonaise

Excellent veg restaurant! - Edit

A great menu: different veg proteins, fresh local fruit shakes, brights salads, lunch special. Very friendly staff, cheap prices, two types of veggie burger. Many products available for frozen take-out, e.g. falafel and soy protein products. 11.30am to 11.00pm. Closed Sunday and Monday. Rush here if you're in Cali.

Finally, a veggie burger in South America! - Edit

I've tried so many things on the menu, but still keep coming back to the veggie burger. They have two different types; gluten and falafel. Then add the fries and the dipping sauce for one amazing meal ($10.000). I live 3 hours away, but continue to make the trip just for the burgers!

On a side note, they are willing to sell vital wheat gluten which is really hard to find in South America.

Pros: Veggie burgers! , Inexpensive. , Great variety.

Return to Cali Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Buen Alimento closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2067 times since Jul 2011.