CLOSED: Ecopolitan

612-874-7336

2409 Lyndale Ave S (at 24th St in Twin Cities), Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 55405

Non-profit ecological shop and 100% raw food restaurant built with non-toxic products. Supports sustainable living, education, local businesses and farmers. Uses purified water in food preparation. Shop sells juicers, dehydrators, books. Offers weekly lectures plus a monthly un-cooking classes offered followed by a raw vegan potluck - check its calendar. REPORTED CLOSED, SEP 2016. Open Mon-Thu 9:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 9:00am-11:00pm, Sun 9:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, All Raw

First Review by r.matey

Ecopolitan is a very granola experience - Edit

The vegan is advertised, the raw foodism less so. The food is alright here, but know in advance that the "pizza" you order will be grains and lettuce and your drink will likely be room-temperature. This place is all raw, if you're interested in that, but for run-of-the-mill vegans looking for a more filling meal, you may be better off somewhere else.

Amazing Raw Vegan Place - Edit

I've stopped here each of the three times I've passed through Minneapolis, and I have to say this is one of my favorite vegan places in the country. It was my first experience with raw food ever; I was blown away the first time and I continue to go back whenever I have the chance. They really craft the raw dishes very artfully here, and they are quite delicious. Last time I had Taco Pizza and the Purple Kale Salad, both of which were great. They also have freshly made juices and amazing desserts. Everything made here tastes as though it just came out of a garden -- super fresh.

Pros: Raw Vegan = Super Healthy, Delicious

Cons: Not Cheap

Not a Raw foodist, but Loved This Place! - Edit

This restaurant is in a beautiful location right in the middle of hipster uptown. I haven't had much experience with raw dishes, outside of salads and that sort of thing, so I was pleasantly surprised when my tostada turned out to be amazing! I definitely want to go back and try one of their "cheesy" dishes. It's not the cheapest place, but I feel like the quality and presentation of the food, as well as our wonderful, friendly and helpful server, made up for the price. We requested a surprise smoothie, and he whipped us up something great! I would recommend checking this place out weather you are a raw vegan or not.

Pros: Great Fresh Food and Smoothies, Sparked an interest for me in raw dishes, Friendly Server

Good for some, not for all - Edit

I found Ecopolitan to be pretty overpriced. The two entrees I have tried, the Mac + Cheese and Pesto Pasta tasted only okay to me, at least for how much it was priced. And I personally didn't enjoy the Cheesecake dessert, but I also don't like dates so that could have been why. Their smoothies were really good though and I could see some of their items being good if I tried them. I also received decently poor service. I was not greeted when I came in or told where to sit, I figured I was supposed to seat myself and there were no clean tables available. A long wait for getting my order taken, as well as a long wait for the food (which is understandable though because it is all made fresh). Very good option for raw vegans in the city though.

Pros: Raw vegan options, Smoothies

Cons: Overpriced, Service

amazing raw food but leave the judgements to God - Edit

Fabulous raw food--one of the best so far in my travels! Had the surprise entree--the ahi tuna and loved the flavors and textures. When my travels bring me back to Minneapolis I will definitely dine here again. However, I was very offended by the server. She was efficient, but when I asked for recommendations she kept referring me back to the salads and other "light" entrees commenting that this was light. Yes I'm overweight and yes I'm eating raw and yes I'd like a nut-based entree. But what she didn't consider is that I started my raw journey this August for my health and have lost 41 pounds. There are many days I don't eat enough calories because of this lifestyle change and the fact that I'm on the road 80% of the week for work. I am making better choices now for my health and don't need her prejudiced filter when I ask for food recommendations. In my recent travels I have found wonderful raw restaurants in NY, Chicago, Atlanta and so on, due to Happy Cow, and every server and restaurant has been incredible warm, welcoming and helpful. So I was shocked to encounter this today, especially in Minneapolis and I did share how I offended I was with the server out of fairness. I don't hold Ecopolitan responsible and will come back when my travels find me here again. But I'm hoping the server will take pause and reflect on her prejudice and either change her thinking, or change her language with overweight customers.

Great option in MInneapolis - Edit

There are few vegan/vegetarian place in Minnesota, Ecopolitan is by far one of the best options for MN vegans. Very interesting, delicious food. Vegan dishes with bold, inventive flavors.
Good house wine and very friendly service.
Parking on the back. Moderate prices.
Highly recommended

longevity - Edit

Great to see a 100% place in the Midwest. I was on tour in STOMP 12 years ago and dined here. Now Im in tour again and am so delighted Ecopolitan has been doing the good work since and still today. This cafe serves organic. Order desert first with the coconut cream pie and date sauce. My girlfriends and I loved it so we sang songs about it all night.

Pros: longevity, juice cocktails, has more integrity than most anywhere you've ever

AWESOME!!!! - Edit

Love, love, love the food and the outside patio! Service is always good and I bring my meat eating friends to show them that they can eat great without eating meat or dairy !

Raw Vegan Gem! - Edit

Since I was staying at The Commons Hotel on the University of Minnesota Campus I decided to run 4.5 miles to this organic, vegan and raw sanctuary. Serving both full meals and shakes and juices, the host instantly popped open a fresh coconut so I could replenish my electrolytes. The menu selections were creative, plentiful and mouth watering. Have you ever had a Sausage Deluxe Pizza with walnut mushroom protein? I haven't. Then there is the Falafel Wrap in a collard leaf; the Marinara Pasta; Flaxseed Tostadas: Rawvioli or the Surprise Entree where the chef creates you a special selection with no input. I selected the savory Hummus and Flax chips for a starter and the earthly Marinara Pasta served over Kale instead of spinach since raw spinach has oxalic acid (I eat it steamed) which interferes with calcium absorption. Both meals were spectacular. A bit pricey with smaller portions, but this expected at raw spots. Ecopolitan also sells raw healing foods, juicers, books and blenders and offers raw cooking classes. As Arnold would say, I'll Be Back!

Pros: Everything

cheese burrito is great - Edit

Ecopolitan is a gem in Minneapolis. It is one of the only restaurants where everything is organic, raw, and vegan. The staff is incredibly helpful in navigating the menu filled with delicious entrees, smoothies, juices, and desserts. Their most popular dish is the chili ‘cheese’ burrito which is also my favorite.

there is a parking lot on the side of the building accessible from the alley.

Pros: all vegan

Cons: sometimes slow service

Amazing! - Edit

I've been here several times. My goal is to eventually try everything on the menu. I've never had anything I didn't like. I try to take my non vegan friends here to show them how good plant based good can be!

Amazing!!! - Edit

The food here is absolutely delicious and very filling. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff , cozy atmosphere

Cons: pricey

Raw Vegan, yes! - Edit

My partner took me to the Ecopolitian and showed me the ropes. The food was superb quality and moderately priced for such good offerings. I tried several items on my 2 visits there and was impressed with everything that we ordered. I highly recommend this place for everyone, vegan and non-vegan alike. I would like a bit more variety of the main ingredients, but that is not a complaint. Do not miss this wonderful dining experience when you are in Minn.

Pros: Quality of food, Freshness of all products, Cost vs. quantity/quality

Cons: very close tables

Delicious and very filling - all organic, raw, vegan - Edit

I went to Ecopolitan on a recent trip to Minneapolis. The house salad was huge and only $4.50. Then I had the chili "cheese" burrito, which was amazing. No tortilla - just a really tender collard green wrapped around the yummy filling! They have an extensive menu so it was hard deciding what to get. Next time I am in this area, I will definitely go back!

Pros: all organic, extensive menu, cozy atmosphere

Awesome! - Edit

Great food. Good selection. Friendly and helpful helpful staff :)

Raw vegan deliciousness - Edit

When visiting the beautiful city of Minneapolis, the one place I had to go was this little gem. Why? It's all vegan, so…. yeah. Support your vegan community, and the vegan community will support you right back with strong healthful and peaceful living!

Ok, with that said…. I have to say for the portions and the fact that this place is all organic, the food from my perspective is c-h-e-a-p. At other raw restaurants in big cities, the prices would deliver half the food, and it likely wouldn't be organic…. so, I have no complaints about price. I was actually shocked at how low the prices were in comparison to the quantity of food!

The smoothie and juice options are amazing. However, I didn't try them, because I was focused on the food, and by the time I was done, I was stuffed.

The uninitiated rawists can have a salad and smoothie, and they will be content. However, for those who are more adventurous or regularly do the raw thing, they have many nut and avocado based dishes to choose from that will fill you up. Because of the base of avocado and/or nut, a little bit goes a long way in calories and filling you up. A few of the entrees can be ordered a la carte, and then order a salad on your own or save room for a dessert/ smoothie. There is also a good amount of zucchini built into the menu, and flax seeds. These 4 ingredients were to be found solo or in combination in just about every entree.

The flavors stayed true to the ingredients, and nothing seemed overly dressed up by salt or seasoning. That is the mark of excellent raw food, because… the point is to celebrate the ingredients without adulteration, yes?

The desserts are also quite heavy and filling. One dessert is plenty to serve 2 people who aren't dying of hunger and have had the main course. They are mostly nut or seed based, pureed and/or dehydrated. So, don't expect an airy crumb like cake or madeleines. Pumpkin is always a favorite choice with the spices and creamy consistency in any raw repertoire, and this restaurant is no exception… it is exceptional though in the price - it's so cheap for what they give you!

If the menu had a bit more selection and variation to the entrees, namely, away from the 4 common bases mentioned (avocado, nut, zucchini, flax), I would give it 5 cows, but I did feel that if I had one entree, I pretty much had half of the entrees.

Still, when back in Minneapolis, there is no way I won't go back!

Pros: Organic, 100% vegan, Smoothies and desserts!, Filling and good prices!

amazing! - Edit

Food was super tasty and staff was very friendly. Pizzas are Must Try!

Great food and dining experience - Edit

I am vegetarian and attempt to keep most days vegan. The idea of raw and vegan intrigued me. I was completely amazed at the presentation, taste, and quality of dishes at Ecopolitan. The server was helpful in guiding choices. The raw carob and blueberry pie for dessert was exceptional. The juice bar selections were great to accompany the meal. I plan to become a regular patron and look forward to the variety of dishes through the seasons.

Pros: Quality of food, Variety / creativity in dishes, Service

Cons: Stark atmosphere, Parking

Return to Minneapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Ecopolitan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.