First Review by chollowell

Well done Dun-well - Edit

Quite good donuts, though we didn't get to try many flavors since we visited just before closing on a Sunday evening. The chocolate & maple topped doughnuts were very tasty, fluffy & moist. Even good the next day. Not the best I've had, but definitely in the top five.
Friendly service. Cute retro feel to the place. On street parking, not a problem because of the lateness of the day. Bike racks outside.
No public bathroom, though; downer to the visit, especially since we drove over after having spent most of the day at the Smorgasburg event at Prospect Park. Looking forward to my next visit to NY, & trying more of their flavors.

Pros: 100% vegan, Tasty food, Friendly staff

Cons: No public bathrooms

Best donuts ever - Edit

We have tried many donuts and these are the best. Enjoyed the peanut butter and jam filled donut with chocolate and the toasted coconut. Super light and fluffy without being too sweet. Better than Voodoo Donuts by a long shot! Definitely worth a visit to Brooklyn!! Even Bill Clinton was here last week.

Pros: Excellent donuts

Cons: No bathroom

Very Dissapointed - Edit

Dunwell Doughnuts was meant to be the highlight of our trip to NYC. I was looking forward to eating there more than anything. After watching the amazing, warm, and friendly video on their website I was expecting an experience... and it was one, just not a good one as I had anticipated. My disappointment started with the owner of the place smoking in front of the building when we showed up. Not a good idea at all and immediately turned me off. Heading inside the staff member was not exactly rude, but not exactly friendly either. You could sense her annoyance as we figured out what we wanted to have. That takes a little time when you have three young kids, and where I expected a smile, I received annoyed indifference instead. The really bad part was that she was actually friendly to some locals who came in after us. Shouldn't all customers be treated with the same hospitality? Anyway, the doughnuts were good, I'll give them that, but not out of this world. I actually prefer the one's Cinnamon Snail has to offer and you don't have to make a trip out to Brooklynn to get them. Seriously, these dudes talk a big game, but really failed to deliver. The product is there, but they need to work on customer service and impressions.

Pros: Good Vegan Doughnuts

Cons: Owner Smoking Out Front, Discourteous Staff

Awesome staff and delicious donuts! - Edit

The staff was very friendly and helped us immediately. The donuts were delicious, just the right amount of sweet after any meal. The chocolate frosted were my favorite. I also liked the glazed donuts.

Great Little Bakery/Coffee Shop - Edit

Dun-Well is an adorable vintage inspired coffee/donut shop in Brooklyn, NY. The atmosphere is relaxing and there is plenty of self serve seating if you want to take a few moments to sit and enjoy your coffee and donuts or work on your computer. The donuts and tea I had were reasonably priced and very tasty. The donuts were more on the cakey side but the flavors were very nice and the portions were good even on the small donuts. The staff was very friendly and attentive. I would definitely come back to Dun-Well!

Best donuts - Edit

I love the donuts at Dun-Well! They have great flavors and the donuts are nice and fluffy. My favorite are the custard filled donuts but they don't have those every day. The donuts are adored by many non-vegans I've taken, as well. They also have coffee, cappuccino and tea available.

Pros: Excellent donuts

Oh how I wish they would expand - Edit

and take over the world. Or at the very least move to Manhattan. Because I hate going to Brooklyn. But this place is worth it.

Pros: So many kinds of vegan donuts!, Horchata, Charming

Cons: Location

My favourite spot in NYC - Edit

Dun-Well Doughnuts may be my favourite spot in NYC. The vibe inside, with the decorations and music, are awesome, and the doughnuts are simply incredible. We got 4 different ones just to try them all. The coffee was also great, and they offered a selection of 3 different non-dairy milks, with a few different sweeteners, including bee-free honey.

Pros: 100% vegan, Amazing doughnuts, Great coffee

Worth a detour if you're visiting Manhattan - Edit

Yeasted vegan donuts... what more can I say?! These are a rare gem in a sea of vegan cake donuts.

A 5 minute walk from Champs Diner, so you don't have an excuse not to go.

Note: minimum $10 purchase when using a credit card

Pros: Real yeasted donuts, a few cake ones

I traveled all the way from CT (2 hour drive) to taste one of these donuts. They were amazing. By far the best donuts I have ever had. They are fried to perfection and there is just the right amount of glaze on it. I left with 6 donuts and ate them all within 24 hours. There was only one donut that I wasn't a fan of and that is the Boston cream but other than that everything was perfect.
Updated from previous review on Friday July 24, 2015

Pros: DONUTS, service, area, all vegan

Cons: Boston cream

You must visit! - Edit

Dun-well Doughnuts not only has the most delicious doughnuts I've ever tasted but the atmosphere is second to none! It has the feel of a turn-of-century store right down to the music they play.

I have never eaten two doughnuts in one sitting but I did the day I visited. The chocolate frosted was my favorite but I couldn't resist trying the Pride doughnut they made for Pride Weekend.

This will be a regular stop for me whenever I'm in Brooklyn.

Pros: Delicious doughnuts , Great atmosphere , Safe and convenient location

Cons: Doughnuts aren't healthy :-(, Cash only

Really good. - Edit

First doughnut I ever had in my life (I'm from Brazil). In my mind it would taste very different, but they were very good and I could come back to this place a million times. All the vegans I've talked too just go crazy about this place and it is worth it.

Favourite place on EARTH! - Edit

I managed to try many veggie/vegan places while on holiday in New York last summer, but Dun-well is the one that I keep thinking about over a year later. The doughnuts are very light, not at all heavy, and they literally melt in your mouth. Everything is freshly made and there is a great array of unique flavours such as peanut butter & jelly, smores, Boston cream, lemon poppy seed, chai tea and butterfinger. Old favourites include chocolate, vanilla, raspberry and almond. It is hard to believe that everything is vegan! Dun-well has won awards for making the best doughnuts in New York and once there it's really not hard to understand why. Visit and visit again. Eat as many as you can! Phenomenal food and a lovely vintage feel to the place too.

Pros: Everything!

Cons: Open one in London - PLEASE!

Yummy! - Edit

I know they have a lot of options listed on their website that they apparently rotate, but we visited three times and pretty much saw the same options (bar one or two) on each visit =(

Having said that they are really great and light- not too sickly/ stodgy/ sugary.....we ended up buying a dozen to take away! I think each day they have like 8 options available, with the option of ice cream and coffees....the coffee was alright, really cool to just sit by the window in this place watching Brooklyn go by. The place looks great too =)

Pros: yummy

I dream of donuts - Edit

Amazing. Everything was great. The place was cute. My donut was called the Homer Simpson. Delicious. I am here for four more days and I am going at least 3 more times. Thank-you so much for existing!

Pros: Donuts are amazing, Cute place, good coffee

Perfection - Edit

I arrived at Dun-Well and was disappointed to see that no flavor that night particularly appealed to me (no chocolate, for instance, there were only 4 flavors left). But I chose two anyway (glazed and jelly filled), and to my surprise, it was incredibly good.

And last but not least, I had the butter pecan ice cream there... it is one of the best ice cream I have ever tasted.

Do not miss any oppotunity to go there.

Pros: Go Max Go bars, amazing ice cream, nice doughnut wooden plates

Old-fashioned feel but oh so vegan - Edit

As soon as you walk in the door, actually before, this storefront is very appealing. It brings back the concept of an old doughnut shop or more likely a bakery in the earlier half of last century. However, the vegan-ness is definitely of this century and out of this world. I just don't like that I can eat anything there, and so..... I have a tough time deciding what to eat/ order!!!

The most popular seems to be the maple-glazed, or maybe they make less of it... but, either way, it was the favorite flavor I tried. It's a yeast-raised with maple glaze infused throughout the entire doughnut... it's incredible.

The creme filled donuts are alright, pretty good, but for some reason, I did not like the creme filling as much as say Voodoo in Portland. The jelly and pbj were alright, too, but I prefer the plain yeast-raised doughnuts here. Still, I appreciate this venue and will return.

They also have cake doughnuts like the blueberry one, which was delightful.

On top of the doughnuts, they have hand dipped ice cream... drool. Go and enjoy the ice cream with doughnuts, you will be happier afterwards for all the joy you brought to your taste buds!

And… did you know that you can get day-old doughnuts, too? Interesting option if you want more choices!

Pros: Vegan yeast-raised donuts, Vegan ice cream, Vegan!!!

Cons: Donuts have short shelf life

Amazing doughnuts, great atmosphere, awesome & friendly owners. Couldn't ask for more in a doughnut shop except that they one day become a chain and replace Dunkin Donuts, pretty plz.

Pros: Delicious and nutritious. JK--just delicious, Lovely storefront

Cons: No public bathroom, sorry

Best Vegan Donuts Ever... - Edit

...second only to Ronald's in Las Vegas! No, it's really hard to decide which is better, honestly. But we had a slew of donuts from Dun-well and they were all incredible. The ice cream was off the chain as well. More places like this!

all vegan doughnut shop - Edit

We arrived with another couple and we all agreed to share to try the different flavors. Although they have over 200 different flavors, about a dozen were on display in the store that day. We tried the blueberry, cherry pie, and peanut butter and jelly ones. Dirk got a doughnut sundae with the root beer doughnut and mint chocolate ice cream. All heavenly. The place has a few tables and stools at the counter. They have an old time décor which is very cute. Be warned they are cash only and have no restroom.

Pros: vegan doughnuts!, vegan doughnuts!, vegan doughnuts!

Cons: cash only, no restroom

Definitely worth the trip! - Edit

Coming from NZ, a shop selling only vegan donuts was a must-do. Although I had family in the neighbourhood, others should definitely get out to Williamsburg for the food. Dun Well is a charming, rustic shop and the donuts - amazingly fluffy. I went all out and got a chocolate peanut, jam filled, praline and even a pride donut (it was Pride Weekend). Yum!

Pros: Donuts, Fun area, Best donuts in the city!

OMG - Edit

now I see why they won best donuts in NYC! Donuts are just one of those things that is tough to find vegan (especially the yeast variety like they have at DunWell) so it's an extra special treat to have a place like DunWell. The chocolate covered; glazed; and jelly filled remind me of my childhood. The guys running the place are the friendliest folks! It's a good thing I don't live close by though or else I would eat one every single day.

Return to Brooklyn Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Dun-Well Doughnuts closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2916 times since Jan 2012.