Dragonlady Lounge

• Veg-friendly
Contact 872-208-5322

3188 N Elston, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60618

Serves meat, vegan options available. Dive bar that offers vegan Korean and Latin fusion food; reported was originally all vegan but no longer. Large veg food selection.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Buffet, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Fusion, Korean, Latin, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan

Lots of healthy vegan options - Edit

My favorite place in Chicago for vegan food. Don't let the non-Vegan menu fool you, DragonLady loves their Vegan and veggie family. Two seperate fryers , grills ect, so your dishes never touch any non-vegan options. I love it!

Pros: Two fritters, Seperate grill sides, Lots of anti-oxidant

Cons: Buffet once a month, No delivery

Great bar food - Edit

I have been here a couple of times. The food is very good. It's not health food, so I rarely come, but it is well worth a visit for anyone looking for some late night vegan food. 3/4 of the menu is vegan.

Pros: good food , good prices, friendly staff

Cons: not healthy, location

Sue is the best. - Edit

Sue is the Korean mother you never knew you had! I've been going to Dragonlady for a few years now. Sue is constantly trying out new vegan recipes and the stuff she comes up with is just great. I like that mostly everything is actually vegetables rather than mock meat or tofu. It is nice for a change. Faves from the buffet: spicy bean sprouts, dandelion greens, dumplings.

Pros: lovely staff, amazing food, great deal

Cons: thursdays can be packed!

Be the early bird - Edit

The seating starts at 7pm. Unfortunately I got there at 8:30, and my date, running late, got there at 9pm. The place was packed when I got there, and we weren't able to be seated until close to 10.
It's not a typical place; they set up temporary tables and folding chairs, much like a basement at a big, informal family gathering. When we were able to finally sample the food (there wasn't much left), it was amazing and certainly worth the price. The bar tender/mock host decided against charging for the meal. That was very nice, and appropriate. The food and value are enough to make me go back, but this additional accommodation definitely won me over-I plan on going back often.

Pros: Food & variety, Value, Socializing with strangers

Cons: Ambiance/setting, Tight fit, Must be on time

No to the buffet... - Edit

Dragonlady Lounge has a secret Vegan dinner buffet on Thursdays. I say secret because I didn't know about it until I stumbled upon it on Yelp. Anyway, I've been trying to go to this buffet for months now and finally tried it last week.

The first thing I'd like to mention is that this place is not limited to the Thursday buffets. I saw a sign on the window that said "Vegan Burger and Fries $5" posted on the wall. Also, they don't have a menu, so from what I hear, the owner will make you different things when you go. I haven't tried this Vegan burger yet, but will update my review as soon as I do so.

When we walked in Dragonlady Lounge it was packed (with hipsters...good place to go if you're into the hipster scene). The buffet starts at 7:30PM and it wasn't ready until 7:45PM - we weren't upset especially given the circumstances, the owner was the only person running the show. When the food was ready, she came out and said "ready" and everyone hurriedly formed a line outside of the kitchen. All of the food was set on a counter in the kitchen, no buffet set-up or designated area - I suppose this is fine because it goes with the whole dive bar deal. The one thing I didn't like, however, was the fact that people went back up with their dirty plates. To top it off, the people going back up were still eating off of their dirty plates while waiting in line and going through the buffet again...eww germs.

The lady that runs the place is very nice and I have no idea how she runs the place by herself, but it works. Although I won't be back there for the buffet ever again, I'm not totally writing the place off and would like to go back for the Vegan burger.

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Dragonlady Lounge closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2529 times since Mar 2009.