David Bann Restaurant

56-58 St. Mary Street (at Royal Mile & Cowgate), Edinburgh, Scotland, EH1 1SX

Serves meals with influence from around the world. Menu includes Jerusalem artichoke bake. Modern, stylish restaurant with deep aubergine walls accented in silver and dark, minimalist seating send a strictly "nouvelle" message. Open Mon-Thu 12:00-22:00, Fri 12:00-22:30, Sat 11:00-22:30, Sun 11:00-22:00.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine

First Review by Stevie

waffleface

Points +71

12 Sep 2020

Top class meals

Had a fantastic meal with my family and all the waiting staff were friendly, in particular our waitress was so sweet. Great variety of meals on the menu.

PaulRobertCalder

Points +83

21 Jun 2020

Happy Cowed 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Had lunch here! Nice.

Pros: Lots of vegan options

Cons: Expensive

happysink

Points +182

04 May 2020

Memorable meal!

We booked this restaurant in advance for a double celebration (birthday and graduation). Very impressed by the quality of the food - both flavours and presentation. I remember the koftas being a universal hit. Would definitely return.

MhairiCampbell

Points +109

05 Mar 2020

Friendly atmosphere

Good amount of vegan options on the menu with all lagers and IPA's on the drink menu vegan. Food was delicious and staff really friendly and helpful with suggestions from the menu. Would definitely visit again.

Pros: Good selection of vegan options

Cons: Only bottled lager, nothing on draught

anooshah

Points +26

20 Feb 2020

goood!!

appetizers are amazing

Pros: tons of options, appetizers ans desserts are the best

merlins31

Points +22

18 Feb 2020

Cordon vert

Great veggie restaurant in the heart of Old Town. Excellent food and not too expensive

Pros: Great atmosphere , Delicious food , Friendly staff

blacknroses

Points +2389

16 Feb 2020

vegetarian restaurant with a long history

- Seating area was nice
- mixed menue from around the world
- roasted pepper soup was deleicious
- thai noodles were not that good, the dish could be improved by proper asian seasoning.
- good for a vegan/vegetarian mixed group

Indy Fab

Points +34

09 Feb 2020

Good choice and quality

Nice ambience and good range on menu. Service and quality of food both excellent

Pros: Several vegan options

amandasl07

Points +65

29 Jan 2020

Makes me want to live in Edinburgh!

I loved the cool, laid-back vibe in David Bann. Lovely staff, nice decor & the food is fab! Definitely the highlight of my trip to Edinburgh ... enough for me to contemplate moving countries so I can go there on a regular basis 😁

Pros: Great selection of vegan & vegetarian meals, Fresh, tasty & original dishes , Good, quick service

Cons: Could have more vegan & organic wines

KatieTownsend

Points +28

21 Dec 2019

Great vegan food

All vegetarian restaurants, plenty of options for fully vegan dishes and some that can be made vegan. Fast service.

Oceansmarty

Points +108

13 Dec 2019

Elegant and a very good quality

An awesome dinner in this restaurant. Everything looks so nice and well presented. Best veg restaurant in the city of Edinburgh!

sarahwilko

Points +94

25 Nov 2019

Good food

We went to David Bann having got a gift certificate. It was a nice place to go on a Friday night but I’m not sure we’d go again if we had to pay(!) The food was tasty and the service was good.

Pros: A couple of vegan options., Staff were friendly , Good solid vegetarian food.

Cons: It seemed quite expensive for what it was., Decor is a bit dated.

Hiddenlavender

Points +272

24 Nov 2019

It really surprised me

I don’t know why but I wasn’t expecting much from this place, but each dish was interesting and full of flavour.

BostonBrian

Points +84

29 Oct 2019

Amazing

Delectable mushroom, celeriac soup, curry with cauliflower and sweet potato fritters. Excellent!

MissPigletti

Points +60

02 Oct 2019

Excellent Food!!

Absolutely amazing food. Changing menu, great service and always a vegan option

TheBigBadMouse

Points +113

02 Oct 2019

Posh vegetarian dinner

We've been to David Bann's each time we are in Edinburgh, for a posh vegetarian / vegan dinner. The mixed reviews recently have worried us a bit, but because we have always liked David Bann's, we dared to book a table this time we were over. And we were not disappointed. The menu is not extensive (for vegans), but you have enough choice, and the dishes are so inventive that you can hardly imagine what they taste like, or look like, when you order (sometimes I was very surprised). The udon noodles (which are least of a surprise) are always good, and this time I had something which came in form of "balls" and tasted very interesting (I looked at the menu again to specify what I had, but they have either changed the menu in the past weeks, or I just can't make it out). We got bread before the starters, and it was very, very good. The waitress was friendly and quick. What's not to like!

Updated from previous review on 2019-10-02

Pros: a bit more posh for a special night out, inventive food, friendly staff

jeroenkusters

Points +386

26 Sep 2019

Excellent food

Very good and original food in a modern ambiance. Not so expensive for what you get. The employees are friendly. Free water from the tap with mint and lemon.

FelixQuistMøller

Points +8

Non Veg
24 Aug 2019

Great place

Very tasteful and visually apetizing food! Good atmosphere and acoustics!

Tito_Chinchan

Points +62

18 Jul 2019

Muy bien

Restaurante muy agradable. Los camareros son atentos y la comida buena. El precio es como en todo Edimburgo, un poco alto.

Muy recomendable.

whatgatsby

Points +64

08 Jul 2019

good place

good but expensive, but fair enough for a fully fledged veggie restaurant. would recommend for special occasions where your classic veggie cafe place might not be special enough!

HeidiWoolard

Points +90

01 Jul 2019

Good food

The food here is good and I like that I can pick almost anything from the menu without worrying. The decor does seem like it could do with a bit of updating though

Pros: Fully vegetarian , Quality food

Cons: Dated decor

Edent

Points +284

11 Jun 2019

Basically fine - wide variety

A charming restaurant with attentive staff and a good beer list. A 3 course meal with a pint was £30.
Food was fine. Nothing terrifically exotic or exciting. The homemade chocolate was delightful.

Pros: Some vegan options, American Express accepted, Near the station

charlythevegan

Points +176

08 Jun 2019

High quality vegan options

Had the vegan curry plus some homemade ice cream! Water and bread are for free

Pros: Nice staff, Great homemade ice cream😍

NoaBCohen

Points +39

14 Jan 2019

Disappointing food

Honestly the food was pretty bad. Seemed like the menu hadn’t been updated since the 1970s and was badly done on top of being dated. Would not be happy to pay money to eat there again, would rather cook something better at home.

Pros: All vegan and veggie options

Cons: Not good food, Overpriced

RowenaRowenaBeyonce

Points +381

09 Jan 2019

Nice enough

This place was nice enough with good service but the food didn’t blow me away. Also it was mainly vegetarian with only a few vegan options which was a little disappointing

Adey606

Points +66

01 Jan 2019

Mixed experience

Can only speak for food I ate; carrot soup was delicious, tofu and noodles main really not good- tofu was deep fried in large blocks and overcooked, noodles ok but veg not prepared well or elegantly considering price. Pudding of orange jelly coconut ice cream average. Very friendly and attentive staff, several vegan options and nice venue, shame the food let it down. Would not return

Nutkin

Points +87

18 Dec 2018

Good but not exciting

We visited the resaurant for an evening meal. The atmosphere of restaurant is welcoming and the staff is friendly. We were a bit disappointed with our main dish which was not as tasty as it looked but the desert (home made chocolate icecream) made up for it.

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has David Bann Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.