CLOSED: Curry Leaf

503-645-6113

15325 NW Central Dr Ste J-12 (at North Oak Hills District), Portland, Oregon, USA, 97229

Indian vegetarian restaurant and groceries. Features extensive menus of North Indian, South Indian, and Indo-Chinese cuisine. Lunch buffet is offered on weekends; chat dinner on Wednesday evenings. Under current ownership since Oct 2010 and became all veg. The grocery store area is open all day. SHUT OCT 2015 CONFIRMED BY ITS FB. Open Mon-Sat 11:30am-2:00pm, Mon-Thu 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out, Catering, Indo-Chinese

First Review by sarai sarai

Disappointed - Edit

Does anyone make good Indian food in Oregon??? My family is starting to wonder...

Okay, this place is 100% vegetarian NOT vegan. They do seem to understand what vegan means though, as they steered us away from non-vegan items (that are usually vegan). The food was mediocre at best. We had take-out and we actually threw away a few things after a few days. I should note that usually we "fight" over Indian leftovers and lick the boxes it comes in. We *never* throw away food either, so this felt really, really wrong, but none of us could stomach eating it.

Indian food is our favorite food ever, and yet we could barely swallow this food. Even the samosas were just mediocre (we did eat all of them though!), and we're samosa-connoisseurs who love variety. We will not be going back.

If you know of a place that serves North Indian vegan food in the greater Portland area, please let me know!

Pros: Fine service, Fine location, Seem to know what vegan means

Cons: Expensive, Not good tasting, Slow

Cuisine to rave about! - Edit

I was quite fortunate to have run across this establishment, which is the best Indian restaurant I have found in the Portland area. The menu is a vegetarian/vegan's dream, with just about any vegetarian/vegan Indian dish one could hope for. The Mysore masala dosa I had was as good or better than any I have ever had, and that includes a number of restaurants I have eaten at in India.

The service is quite competent and cordial, and the tasteful decor brings an authentic "Indian" atmosphere to accompany the delicious food. This is definitely a vegetarian/vegan's mother lode with a vast range of cuisine to rave about. I plan on returning, very possibly often, to further enjoy the succulent dishes and friendly service. This is a real gem for Portland vegetarians and vegans!

Pros: Impressive menu, Authentic, delicious Indian cuisine, Friendly service

Not As We Had Hoped - Edit

My family and I went to Curry Leaf last night for dinner. Their website is very well done and it appeared that all vegan and vegan-option dishes were clearly marked. We ordered some unfamiliar items to try some new things and some familiar dishes we had enjoyed at other restaurants.

Appitizers: The veg samosa were good. We had also ordered an onion bajji. We received what we assumed was the bajji. It wasn't very good. When we had all tried it, a lady came and said they had given us the wrong order and what we had eaten was full of paneer (Indian cheese). At least they didn't charge us for it. The bajji was so-so when it arrived.

Entrees: I did not know you could mess up basmati rice. I was wrong. It was the blandest basmati I have ever had and it was also a bit waterlogged. The Mutter Paneer (vegan option has tofu), had so few peas actually in it, they should consider renaming the dish. It was also a bit spicy, which was not noted on the menu. The mixed veg kurma (veg option) has a coconut milk base and was marked as slightly spicy. It was less spicy than the Mutter Paneer. Also, the Kurma obviously used a frozen veg mix.

On the plus side, they have fries for the kids and they were quite good.

It is unfortunate that the restaurant is so bad. It doesn't look so good that it is attached to an Indian grocery. One would think that the food would be better considering the availability of fresh items from next door.

We will not be returning and would have to warn away our friends as well.
I would have given the restaurant one cow, but the minimum rating for a veg restaurant is 2.

Yummy Food - Edit

My Beautiful Partner and I traveled all the way from SE Portland to dine in this delicious establishment. The staff was very helpful in helping us pick out a deliciously yummy assortment of food from the menu. Everything was delicious, and we ordered so much that we had leftovers, since we wanted to try everything on the menu...but opted for four items instead. For those who are dining with meat eaters, the food is so tasty, full of flavors and spices, that the meat won't be missed. In fact the gobi manchurian bites reminded us of kung pow chicken in texture and flavor. We will definitely be eating here again, the travel time is worth it for the wonderful service, and the delicious food.

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Curry Leaf closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.