Crystal Jade

Contact 402-398-1688

7255 Cedar St (at S 72nd St), Omaha, Nebraska, USA, 68124

Serves meat, vegan options available. The owners of this Chinese restaurant are accommodating toward vegan and vegetarian diners and offer a complete vegetarian/vegan menu - ask for it. All items that can be made veg from the main menu can also be made to order. Wednesday is vegan night where it's 1/2 price vegan appetizers like fried rolls, curry puff, curry noodle soup, tofu steak, and spring rolls. Protein options include tofu and mock duck. AUG 2014 per owner, trying to sell and retire. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by johncena0410

Great Vegan Options - Edit

Crystal Jade has an all vegetarian (mostly vegan) menu upon request. It is full of options and include tofu and mock duck. Although most items are marked vegan anyway, it does say at the top that any item can be made vegan, but I didn't ask about that.
I tried the Spicy Korean Bulgogi, which was quite tasty, and the portion size was fairly large.
The waitress even bought me a vegan fortune cookie without me asking (I would have never even thought to ask), which I thought was a nice touch.

Pros: large vegan menu, accommodating staff

great vegan Asian food! - Edit

Delicious Asian food with a ton of vegetarian and vegan options. The portions are good size.
Only complaint I have is they didn't put silverware in my take out bag and I didn't realize until I had gotten back to my hotel room!

Great Chinese Food! - Edit

My husband and I had a fantastic meal here yesterday and will definitely visit this place often when we are in Omaha. The atmosphere is relaxing, the service is great and the food is delicious! I had the Twin Generals and my husband had the Twilight Delight. The Twin Generals was definitely the favorite, but both were delicious. We also had the curry noodle soup and vegan egg rolls, which were great as well. I highly recommend Crystal Jade! Make sure to ask for the vegan menu!

Best Ever Chinese Food! - Edit

My husband and I are both vegan and found this restaurant on the Happy Cow site as we were driving through town. We were so surprised how amazing the Twilight Delight (mock duck, tofu and veggies- we ordered extra mushrooms), spring rolls and curry soup. Absolutely delicious!

Outstanding! - Edit

I cannot get enough of this place..by far my favorite restaurant in Omaha. It's clean, quite, and very veg-friendly. The owners are super kind and will always try their absolute best to accommodate and please you. The dinner portions are huge and beautifully presented with adorable veggie carvings. If you are curious about their menu, just check out the website. My personal favorites: Lucky 7, Volcano Tofu, Twin Generals, Beef Noodle (replaced w/ mock duck), Curry Noodle Soup (free on Wednesdays!), Peanut Butter Tofu and Sesame Tofu. I often replace tofu dishes with mock duck, because it is RIDICULOUSLY good. They also have frozen drinks and $3 martinis, and super cheap beer. I find it unfair that I can't rate it 5 cows simply because they aren't 100% veg. I highly recommend this place to anyone. If you are in the area, you must check it out!
Updated from previous review on Friday October 14, 2011
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 05, 2011

Pros: succulent food, very friendly staff, huge portions

Wonderful and delicious - Edit

The staff and restaurant as a whole are very accommodating. Vegetarian/Vegan menu is separate and very extensive. You won't go hungry here! They serve a variety of Asian and Southeast Asian dishes and they are delicious and hearty. We went for the Vegan night on Wednesday where you get half-price vegan apps and a free curry noodle soup bowl with the purchase of an entree - wow. I had been looking for my to-go Asian restaurant way before I became a vegetarian, and I have found it!

Pros: Flavorful food, Colors, aromas and textures are enticing, The staff are really friendly

Crystal Jade is a Jewel - Edit

This place is excellent. The staff is very friendly and the food is out of this world! Clean and open dining room. Huge selection of dishes (they have a vegan menue - if you ask, loaded with goodies!). Price if very reasonable and my "non-vegetarian" friend had an enjoyable dinner experience. So good we had to take the left overs with us. You wouldn't take something with you if it was just so-so would you?

Food came out very quickly. Joked with server that they must have given us another tables' order. SUPER fast. Very creative food art too!

They have their own parking lot so parking was not a problem. Menu is available online as are other pictures and locations. Would go back in a minute next time I'm in town!

Pros: Awesome Food!, Staff, Clean open dining

Best Tofu Ever - Edit

Five stars!! My whole family loves Crystal Jade. It is our favorite restaurant in Omaha. We all love the tofu. They have so many options on the Vegan/Vegetarian menu. My favorite is Lucky 7 which also has fried eggplant. I also like Kung Pao Tofu, Volcano Tofu, Peanut Butter Tofu and Twin Generals. In addition the vegan egg rolls are great and they have great drink specials. You can't beat the atmosphere the the friendly service either. And your carnivore relatives will also be happy.

Pros: Great Food, Friendly Service, Wonderful Atmosphere

Aunt Shirley's House of Yum! - Edit

5 stars!! Hand's down my favorite restaurant in the world. Yes, even better than any fully vegan place I've been, because nowhere else has the hospitality of Aunt Shirley, Uncle Steve and everyone else at Crystal Jade!
Anything on the menu can be made vegan. You can swap tofu or mock duck with any meat dish in addition to their extensive vegan menu. Their drink specials are out of this world cheap.. $3 martinis, $1.68 beer?? including some very nice imports.
I always start with the curry noodle soup, which is free on wednesdays (Vegan night) as well as a vegan egg roll which are half-priced on wed. The must try's are the Peanut Butter mock-duck (super delicious and crispy covered in a rich pb sauce), Twin Generals (tofu and mock duck together with delightful spicy sauce), Beef Noodle Salad--replace w/ mock duck (vietnamese dish with rice noodles, cucumber, mint, sweet sour sauce and minced peanuts on top.. so fresh!) and the Magic 3! ( vegetables in a coconut/black bean sauce.. tastes like Hawaii on a plate).
In summary, this place is sooo good and will rock your socks off.

Check em out on fb to see all there amazing deals. www.facebook.com/CrystalJadeOmaha

ps. PINA COLADAS!!!!!!!!!

Pros: Aunt Shirley, Awesome food , Cheap drinks

Cons: Too good??

AMAZING PLACE!! Must go! - Edit

(Side note, I completely disagree with the fact that you are not able to rate a 'non vegetarian restaurant' with 5 cows and can only give 4. In a town that doesn't have many options for vegetarians...this certainly deserves credit and definitely deserves five cows. Wish I was allowed to give more than four!!)

First of all, I'd LOVE to know exactly what the problem was with the person who left the negative review. I have eaten just about ever vegetarian thing on the menu and they were all outstanding. So either that person is a troll or they don't know good food.

As I said, this place is amazing. It's a vegan paradise in a town that is sadly lacking in many options. I used to come here all the time before I moved to Oregon. And if amazing vegan food (an entire separate menu is provided) isn't enough for you, there's also the out-of-this-world customer service. Aunt Shirley is the sweetest person I've ever met. She will bend over backwards to make sure everything is perfect for you. And the wait staff is also very sweet and prompt.

I honestly can't think of a single bad thing to say about this place, and it blows my mind that there isn't a line out the door every single day. This is the best kept secret in Omaha!! I recommend it to everyone I know! :-)

Pros: Tasty food , TONS of vegan/vegetarian options, Beyond amazing staff

Cons: NOTHING!!!

Heavenly - Edit

Crystal Jades is one of my favourite restaurants. There are restaurants that are good and then there are restaurants that are absolutely delicious and you crave, Crystal Jades is the latter. I tend to be a creature of habit and generally order the Crispy Eggplant Curry, though every time I've ventured and tried something new it has been fabulous. The staff is by far the best I've ever encountered--they are absolutely wonderful. Though I doubt it would happen, I know if there was ever a "problem" with my order (it, I didn't like it), they would be quick to fix it. They make you feel welcome; you can tell that they all care about what they are doing. Aunt Shirley, in particular, is delightful and exudes love. I feel comfortable inviting friends and family out to this restaurant knowing that it is consistently amazing and in fact have never come with a person who hasn't requested to go again. If you haven't tried it, do. The restaurant is clean, the food amazing, and the staff pleasant. If the rating scale let me give it a five stars I would, alas it only let's you give a non-vegan restaurant four stars.

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, clean

ugh this was gross - Edit

i didnt try the mock duck and i highly regret it but i dont think ill ever be coming back i went and had some tofu sweet and sour thing omg it was so gross and plain it was the grossest thing ive ever had at a restaurant

shirleysieng Dear John,
I am very sad that you were not happy with your food choice at Crystal Jade. We have been serving Vegand and Vegetarians for about 2 years now at this location. We have used Sweet and Sour Sauce for the last 20 years at our restaurants and have not had one complaint. We are sorry if you didn't like the sauce or the tofu or the two combined. Just to let you know and anyone who read this post, if the customer does not like the entree ordered, he or she can substitute it for a different entre. We are here to serve you and wish that you would have told us before leaving hungry and vowing not to come back. We made this special menu for our vegan customers and if you see an item where we need to correct, please advise us. Thanks to Bruce Karlquist for teaching us how to cook for Vegans. He discovered Crystal Jade March of 2010. He came to our restaurant so often so we decided to make a Vegan/Vegetarian menu for him. We keep making additions and improvements to this menu.
Vegan Omaha has picked Crystal Jade for their meet-up 3 times in the last 15 months. We certainly hope that you will reconsider us in the future for another try at our Vegan Menu.

Return to Omaha Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Crystal Jade closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2388 times since Mar 2011.