Crudessence - Mackay

• Vegetarian
Contact 514-664-5188

2157 Mackay St, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3G 2J2

Raw food restaurant with multiple outlets. Food is gluten-free, soy-free, peanut free, and vegan except for bee products. A retail area sells raw food ingredients. Offers raw food preparation classes.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Raw, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by Kind Cindy

treat - Edit

if youre not crazy about raw food, i'd prob suggest a few options on the menu as being worth grabbing.
a lot of care goes into making this sort of food, and i love that it's (mostly) vegan, but it might not be in the best interest of a veg student/other to make a habit of going here for the following reasons:
-staff interactions, in my experience, are more or less hit or miss, and i don't think it has to do with them as people/workers as much as it has to do with the off-and-on, general vibe of the place (or maybe it is, IDK). i've had some experiences of quick little interactions that just left me feeling... like i'd bothered them for coming in.

-it's fantastic that they offer a 10% student discount (they're one of the only ones that do), but the food in general is priced in such a way that it's best treated as a treat. pricey for the portion sizes. but again, its neighbour 'the green panther' is probably slightly better priced and has slightly larger portions (as far as i remember) because the food they offer doesn't have to go through the processes of raw preparation.

anyways, i'm spoiled that I have so many vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants close to the universities (not to mention a daily vegan soup kitchen at concordia). thx 4 feedin me
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 08, 2016

Pros: the space is nicely designed , very carefully prepared, appreciated :), plant-based and health-promoting

Cons: hit or miss staff warmth, relatively medium to small portions

Unique and delicious - Edit

Excellent food
They also sell other items near front counter
A bit pricey
Always fresh

Pros: Fresh, Delicious , Friendly staff

Cons: Pricey, Most dishes are high in fat (nuts), Only located downtown

So worth it - Edit

I travel all around the world for my job and have therefore tried loads of different vegan establishments around the world. I can honestly say that Crudessence is my absolute favorite! The food is just magnificent. In the few days that I was in Montreal I went back several times, and loved everything I ate and drank. My absolute favorite was the raw lasagna, oh my god it's so good! I have often longed for this meal again. The Kale ceasar salade is great as well and the portion is big enough, just the salad itself will definitely fill you up. The fresh juices and smoothies are worth trying as well.
Crudessence might be a bit more pricey, but it is so worth it. I can not wait to go back!

Pros: Delicious, Good portions, Healthy

Cons: A bit pricey, Service isn't superfast

Very tasty - Edit

Finally visited Crudessence yesterday, and glad I did. The food is delicious, to be sure, but everything other reviewers have said is true. Service was slow, and indifferent overall. It took over 40 minutes to get our food, and the place was full, but not crazy busy. Prices are high for what you get. But everything delivered food-wise. The tuna wrap is very good, but the highlight for me was the amazing Caeser Kale salad, which is world-class yummy. I also enjoyed the key lime pie, though it was a pretty tiny slice for $6.75.

Overall, worth going back to when I save up enough money....

Pros: Pretty decor

Cons: Pricey

Excellent experience - Edit

I had dinner in this restaurant on 9th august 2014.
The space is lovely and the menu was wonderful.
I tried miso soup, gaspacho and crudessence salad: everything was absolutely delicious.

Pros: tastes and textures are amazing

Incredible food, less than incredible service - Edit

Based on the food alone, Crudessence is the one of the best raw vegan restaurants you can find. Fresh, delicious, creative and filling. The menu is varied with many options for all tastes. Unfortunately the service is almost always lacking. From not speaking English to forgetting the starters to lengthy wait times without being greeted or seen, Crudessence is lucky that it does not rely on service for its business to thrive.

Pros: Taste, Healthy Options, Quality

Cons: Service, Expensive drinks and desserts

Great vegan raw food - Edit

I was not used with raw food until I discovered Crudessence. My first try was surprising, I took a burger that was too healthy for me ;-): sprouts and vegetables with a raw pastry. Then I learn to discover other dishes, such as their crêpe (amazing even if cashew cheese has a too strong taste for me), their tiramisu (magical!), their banana split, their lasagna, their raw hummus... Finally, their food is really varied, with infinite and fresh savors. They also have really good juices. I'm still not really fond of such food but I learned to enjoy it thanks to Crudessence. So if you like raw food: you have to go there.

The place is nice, well located and staff is friendly. Just one negative comment: I believe it remains quite expensive for the quantity you'll have.

Pros: raw vegan, amazing desserts, friendly staff, nice place

Cons: quite expensive

Awesome food, even for those that aren't raw - Edit

I don't usually get excited about raw restaurants and don't go out of my way to eat at them. This restaurant was recommended by a fellow vegan and it was great! The kale caesar salad was delicious, as was the raw burger. Both were super satisfying! The cheesecake was super rich and delicious as well. Highly recommended.

Pros: Great food, Good service, Convenient location

Fantastic Raw Vegan Reataurant - Edit

Honestly was the best Pad Thai and Miso soup I ever had. Smoothies were also great and well worth the visit. Friendly staff and extensive menu.

Pros: Great Raw food, Delicious smoothies, Located right next to 2 other vegan rest

Cons: A little pricey but really all raw is...

Sooo Delicious! - Edit

Everything is really so good. The dehydrated eggplant, I could eat all day. What's most wonderful is that the air is so clean in the restaurant because there's no frying. They also make the best kombucha that is sold in local stores. I go through so many big bottles that I should probably contact them about returning them to be reused. The lime pie is so delicious. It is a bit expensive, but you can't put a price how great you feel after eating such amazing food.

Pros: wow, such raw, so amaze

Party time for EVERY SENSE - Edit

Why aren't there more places like Crudesscence in the world????

Every item in the menu (I have tried them all) is delicious, nutritious, healthy...

From drinks, to mains, to dessert, it is just your best bet in taste and health. It is so delicious it is hard to believe is raw. Even the tap water is special and good for you!

In addition, the books are an awesome addition to your kitchen library; I bought the soups one to set me up for the winter and I cannot tell you how delicious and easy the recipes were, also a success at parties because they are innovating, sexy, and a treat to the taste buds.

Everything in this establishment is made with CARE, and it shows: every bite you take is assembled in a painstakingly fashion to provide you with an explosion of flavor and wellbeing. At Crudessence, no expense has been spared to take care of YOUR HEALTH, and it shows. The quality is unrivaled in this town.

As if that wasn't enough... this company offers workshops! How much I would love to live in Montreal to attend! I will certainly do my best to catch one during my travels!

If you want to be in heaven, finish your meal with a chaga latte and a brownie with frosted rose petals .... seriously, you'll NEVER forget that moment!

Pros: QUALITY, raw, ambiance

Cons: none

Love this spot - Edit

I was here almost everyday when I spent a month in Montreal working. I LOVE this place. The food is excellent and the presentation is beautiful as well. I had almost everything on their menu, and there wasn't anything I didn't like. My favorites are the BLT, the Caesar, Enchiladas and several things on their seasonal menu. I wish there was a Crudessence in Los Angeles!

Pros: Fantastic Food, Great Service , Wonderful Specials

Cons: On the more expensive side

Crudessence - Mackay, Montreal - Edit

The 1st thing about this place is that its right next door to another all vegan eatery, namely Panthere Verte. Thus its easy to take a look at both and decide which is for you.

I had the soup of the day (corn and zuchini) and then the samurai bowl. Both are dishes served cold but were nice enough, esp the soup. The guy who server me was very helpful. I had a seat outside in the sun but indoor is very pleasantly decored.

It seemed a bit on the pricey side to me. For a similar sort of price yesterday I had soup and main bowl as well as a hot chocolate and a coffee.

There is a hot dish on the menu which I am told is a recent innovation.

Pros: All vegan

Cons: Seems a little pricey

Delicious Raw Experience - Edit

Crudessence is the perfect place to experience a decadent, raw vegan meal. One of my favourite vegan restaurants in Montreal, Crudessence is definately the more healthy and fresh option. They have a good amount of selection on their menu including tons of delicious smoothies and juices! I also love the Kombucha they brew called "rise". If your into health, than you should definately give this place a try. Prices are a little high but worth it!

Pros: Taste, Quality, Experience

Cons: Price, Noise

Solid, creative food but slow service - Edit

I liked my meal at Crudessence and enjoyed their variety compared to other raw restos. Not heavily spiced, I was happy it wasn't uber salty or sugary. Nicely balanced but I could see others calling it more on the bland side.

I recommend the Kombu mojito (pineapple, mint, lemon and home-brewed kombucha). I also enjoyed "Le Fairmount" which was a nice bagel with a smoked salmon spread with capers and tomatoes. I was a bit perplexed that it was delivered deconstructed but I assembled it at my end.

I really appreciated the diversity plates, which allowed us to sample the appetizers and desserts. I also enjoyed their egg pate which was nice in the breakfast burrito. From the dessert sampler, sadly the blueberry cheesecake was not included however the tiramisu was incredible (and I usually don't like tiramisu).

The service was slow.. which always boggles me at raw restos since nothing needs to be cooked.

Pros: creative food, delicious, not overly seasoned

Cons: price, slow service

Great food, bad service - Edit

The food was really good, I had the Crepes Sauvages which where very tasty and the fresh smoothies are good too. If you're already full from the main course I would not recommend the un-cheesecake since it is quite heavy, but very nice nontheless. I would have rated the restaurant 5 cows was it not for the poor service; there where only 3 tables to be waited but after the main course we were totally forgotten by the staff, as were our neighbors. Then, when we finally got our bill, they had charged us with the drinks we ordered but they forgot to bring us, no apologies from their side and it was a hassle to correct the bill. So that kind of spoiled my experience there.

Pros: Great food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: very bad service

A Great Treat - Edit

As an infrequent visitor to Montreal, I was really happy to find this restaurant. Four of us arrived in the early evening and left a couple of hours later well satisfied. The restaurant, although on a lower level, is very bright and clean. The server assured us that everything on the menu was wonderful and she was right. The appetizers were excellent and the Om burger was a big hit with 2 in our group. I was particulary happy with the lime pie to finish off an excellent meal. Unfortunately, they do not serve beer which I always like when on vacation but they do serve wine which was ok. Next time in Montreal, the Crudessence will be a definite stop.

Pros: Great taste, Lots of choice, Friendly service

Cons: No beer

I prefer the juice bar... - Edit

I was excited to try the second Crudessence restaurant, since the juice bar on Rachel is really small. It was a great experience, the place is nice... I tried the cheese plate and it was ok, but i found it heavy to eat that much nuts. Anyway my favorite was the macadamia nut cheese. We also tried the mushrooms caps which were pretty good and the fake tuna sandwich, great imitation. I really love raw food but all the items on the menu are not particularly my type. But that's just me. However, i would go there again and again for juices, smoothies and their desserts, who are amazing. The thing is that, i can find them at the juice bar too... At Mackay, I tried the sugar pie, the brownie with ice cream and the vanilla-chocolate cheesecake, they are all yummy. Of course, it's expensive, but it's always like that with raw and organic. I know they serve wine, but i have not try any... The whole place is great but i would have liked it more 'fancy' and less like the juice bar, i'm sure they could totally make raw gourmet food and take it to another level. Get out of the sandwiches, burgers, smoothies ... try to create something that we don't have in Montréal right now. Anyway i really love them but, i feel like i'll be bored easily if i go too often.

LOVE IT! - Edit

The best in Montreal! Food is truly raw, delicious and fulfilling. Excellent indeed! Great service, great location, fair price! Recommend 100%!

Pros: delicious food, great location, nice service

Rocked my world ... - Edit

I was familiar with Crudessence's original location on Rachel ave, and was thrilled to hear that they had opened a sit down restaurant in the down town area. The menu is more extensive and of course, everything is just to die for! A colleague and I went for lunch last week and everything was so good. They make the best miso soup and we took the tester plate for two to try as many items as possible. It goes without saying that we will be back!! Next time I am having the BLT with eggplant bacon!

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Crudessence - Mackay closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9995 times since Aug 2010.