CO

Contact 843-720-3631

340 King St, Charleston, South Carolina, USA, 29401

Serves meat, vegan options available. A modern interpretation of traditional Vietnamese cuisine. Offers a separate vegan menu. Warm and comfortable setting. There is a bar area at ground level with one large group table. The bulk of the seating is on the second floor. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by PDXTom

limited and bland - Edit

It's great they have a vegan menu but it's unfortunate that it's so boring. If you're going to have a vegan Vietnamese menu there should be more options than fried rice and noodles for a $14 entree, not many veggies, mainly tofu, some edamame, and rice.

Pretty disappointed they refused to leave off fish sauce so we could try a curry or phó.

Pros: Vegan menu, tasty cocktails

Cons: bland vegan menu, few options, refused to make anything off the main menu pricy

Wonderful! - Edit

We had a wonderful time here - great menu, great location. They have separate vegan and gluten free menus - there isn't a whole lot of overlap between the two, but there was at least one option that was both vegan and gluten free.
I had the bun xao with tofu and every bite was delicious. My omni boyfriend was happy with his meal too.

Great choice - Edit

My friends and I went during Restaurant Week - while they enjoyed the discounted menu I perused the vegan one. Both the spring rolls and the yaki soba were delicious and really filling! It was nice having the separate vegan menu because on the normal one they are only listed as being vegetarian - and many of the vegetarian dishes I would've probably assumed vegan when they probably are not. Anyway great atmosphere, friendly staff, and surprisingly busy on a Thursday night. Would definitely go back. Feast indeed.

Pros: Good food, Good atmosphere, Friendly staff

Very Good Vietnamese Fusion - Edit

We went for dinner. There is a separate menu for vegans! I did find the menu a little limiting. Disappointed that the two curry options weren't vegan (both had fish sauce) and was really looking forward to some Pho soup, but that wasn't vegan either. The two things we ate were great(unfortunately, I can't remember their names). It was a nice place, but a little crowded due to the small size on the main floor. Overall, it was a very good experience and good food. We would return.

Classy little surprise - Edit

Stopping in Charleston, I was a tad worried about finding a place with options. The South is not fun for vegans. I was pleasantly surprised to find that CO has a separate menu for vegan patrons. The menu was not limiting, either! There were at least 5-6 different options, which was nice. The atmosphere was very classy and the music was nice. The staff were helpful and incredibly kind. I was pleased with my food and the visit as a whole.

Pros: Delish food, Vegan menu, Classy atmosphere

Good Vegan & Asian -- at the Same Time! - Edit

I really appreciate the separate vegan menu and the sleek atmosphere. I chose a salad with an amazing variety of goodness: lettuce, cucumber, sprouts, pickled carrots, lots of cilantro, sauteed tofu & onions, cold vermicelli, and an edamame spring roll to boot. My husband enjoyed a spicy udon dish. A ginger julep rounded out the highly satisfying meal. Good show!

Pros: knowledge of veganism

Cons: a splurge by my standards

A gem in a vegan food desert - Edit

CO is a real gem. Fantastic wait staff who make a gazillion trips up and down the stairs each night yet remain cheerful, attentive and responsive. The decor is sparse, modern yet warm and comfortable, offering a variety of seating from large tables with benches to small tables with chairs.

The food is perfectly executed and represents a modern interpretation that carefully preserves-and respects- traditional Vietnamese flavors and textures.

In particular, we appreciated the separate Vegan menu, which had a great list of options. We tried all the small dishes (tofu buns with crispy tofu, pickled cucumber and carrots, cilantro, crispy edamame; the spring roll with mixed vegetables, lettuce bed, ginger miso; and the lemongrass tofu spring roll with herbs, vermicelli, bean sprouts, peanut sauce). We then shared the yakisoba, which was made with rice noodles, tofu, cabbage, carrots, onion, zucchini, garlic, and sweet mirin soy sauce. Everything was excellent.

The have a very thoughtfully selected wine and beer list and a full bar with a variety of specialty drinks.

And they deservedly were awarded the best 2012 International Restaurant by the Charleston Food Bloggers (http://www.charlestonfoodbloggers.com/).

Pros: Vegan menu, Excellent food and service, Great ambience

Return to Charleston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CO closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2559 times since Sep 2013.