Chocolate House

+352-26262006

20, rue du Marché-aux-Herbes , Luxembourg, L-1728

Serves meat, vegan options available. The prime item sold here, the Chocospoon, is also available in a vegan variant - ask the staff which flavors are vegan. Food menu includes a vegan burger. Open Mon-Fri 8:00am-8:00pm, Sat 9:00am-8:00pm, Sun 10:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Western, European, Non-veg

First Review by Laurajuliette

Delicious vegan hot chocolate - Edit

I give this place full marks for their 85% vegan hot chocolate (note the max you can give a non-vegan place on Happy Cow is 4 stars).

I had the 85% spoon in soy milk and it was delicious.

Service was friendly - woman was run off her feet but still pleasant. Could possibly do with extra staff.

There are clearly labelled vegan mains (I'll add photos shortly), inc a vegan burger and three salads, but I didn't try them. If the food is as good as the chocolate and I hadn't already eaten I would have ordered. (Check out my review of Beet in Luxembourg :((( ). If I were heading back to Luxembourg City I'd make a beeline for this place and order/try out a main.

Nice ambience and the building is from the 1600s so lots of character and full of quirky charm. The type of place I can imagine hanging with girlfriends over wine and then a hot chocolate (or two!)

If I were to get picky, then this would be my feedback to the owners...

Soya milk was extra - Is it really that much more expensive? The additional price covers an entire carton and surely you must sell more a few a day? Please consider not penalising those who don't drink dairy with a surcharge.

Only choice as far as I could tell was 85% due to the presence of milk, gelatine etc in other chocolate options. It would be great if other choices were available. Is there any way to use agar agar instead of gelatine perhaps?

Pros: lovely atmosphere and building, delicious vegan (85%) hot chocolate

Cons: you pay extra for soy milk

Very cute but kitchen closes early - Edit

Really nice cafe but their kitchen had already closed when we went in at 6:30pm on a Sunday (not sure what time they stop doing food, sorry). They did offer us some quiche but wasn't vegan. There was a vegan burger and three vegan salads on the menu which all looked good for another time.

We did stay for a hot chocolate, and there was a choice of four or five non-dairy milks for hot chocolate, coffee and milkshakes. Hot chocolate was lovely.

None of the cakes in the big display were marked as vegan (or at all) and we didn't ask as we had to still go get dinner. The chocolate to buy to take away wasn't labelled either so unsure if any options but seemed very expensive anyway.

All in all a nice place just disappointed we couldn't eat!

Pros: Good range of milk & lovely hot chocolat

Cons: Kitchen closed early

Vegan Hot Chocolate! - Edit

So, as other reviewer mentioned, you can make your own chocolate by choosing your chocolate spoon and milk.
For vegans, that means choosing the 85% spoon and soy milk.
You can take away the drink; but I'd recommend to grab a seat instead; as it can get messy.

While the ingredients of the 85% spoon did not contain animal products, the staff emphasized that it may still have traces of milk.

Also, they said they usually have a vegan cake every day; however, when I went it was not ready yet.

I did not eat there, so I cannot comment on the food; however, I saw in the menu that there is a vegan burger.

Pros: vegan hot chocolate, friendly staff

Cons: limited vegan options

Lovely! - Edit

Good variety of vegan and vegetarian options along with heaps of chocolate. Outdoor and upstairs seating areas. Option of sitting at shared tables, which is quite fun. Food was tasty and hot chocolate was the best. You pick what square of chocolate and what type of milk you like. You then stir your chocolate ladened spoon into the warm milk until melted and creamy. A variety of cakes are also on offer (see photos). Lots of treats to buy and take home as well.
Updated from previous review on Saturday July 18, 2015

Pros: Vegetarian and vegan offerings, Breakfast and Lunch

Has Chocolate House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.