Chay Viet

Contact 030-48494554

Brunnenstr. 164 (at U8 U-Bahn Bernauer Str.), Berlin, Germany, 10119

"Vegetarian" is in the title of restaurant. Food is mostly vegan, with vegetables and tofu in the dishes. Sweet condensed dairy milk is used in the Vietnamese coffee. Mon-Fri 11:30am-10:00pm, Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 1:00pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by rpm_bln

Lovely Vietnamese meal - Edit

Between us we had a soup, a main meal, and a dessert - and really enjoyed them all. All the options are either vegan, or can be by leaving out egg and/or dairy - this is shown on the menu.

We enjoyed our meal, and would be happy to return there if we visit Berlin again.

Pros: Mainly vegan, Convenient location

Cons: Not yet entirely vegan

hmm - Edit

great food but terrible service! probably the grumpiest and rudest waiter ever! I find this funny as the whole point in a vegetarian or vegan life is exercising compassion, and the waiter was the opposite of compassionate or friendly at all! The food was super tasty and good serving sizes for the price, but they need to get a more positive attitude!

Pros: vegan options, location, serving sizes

Cons: attitude of workers, takes forever for food, rude

Worse service I've ever experienced - Edit

I've been to Chay Viet a few times and have always been pleased with the food. However, on Friday I wanted to reserve a table for 20:30 and was told it was impossible because the kitchen closes at 22:00. This was already upsetting, but we were so excited to share this place with out of town guest we made the reservation for 20:00. We were 15 minutes late and apologised. For a party of 7 we got 4 menus and waited 40 minutes to order. At 9:30 we wanted to order a second round of drinks (beers and mango lassi) and were told that they won't serve drinks because they were closing soon. When we argued that we hadn't even received our food and wanted drinks with the food, they agreed on the beer, but not the mango lassi. 15 minutes later they came to tell us that they had run out of beer so we never got 2nd drinks. 5 minutes later they told us that they are out of rice, so 5 dishes were serve with a small portion of noodles instead. At the end of our meal they gave us a bill which included things that we had never ordered in addition to our meals. The waiter didn't apologise, but only said that the other items must have been from the people who sat there before us. For the only time in my life, I did not leave a tip. I find it really upsetting that a place that I liked so much is now on my never again list.

Pros: vegan and allergy friendly, good food , spicy is really spicy

Cons: mean waiters, spiteful people, try to cheat customers with the bill

Nice Veggie Vietnamese food - Edit

I recently had dinner here with a group of 30 people. Everyone was delighted with the food quality and size of the portions. The staff was friendly and I was impressed with how well they were able to handle our group. All the dishes were unique and well presented.

Pros: Ethnic Veggie, Good Value, Friendly Staff

Menu not labelled correctly - egg in vegan dish - Edit

At first I thought this place was excellent - large, with nice decor, a fully veg and mostly vegan menu, and wonderful starters and drinks that seemed excellent value for money. But then, my main course, which according to the menu should have been vegan, arrived with an egg in it. As it was served in a closed pot, I did not notice until the server had left, and when I complained to another staff member, they excused the first employee, who is new and not a regular worker, but were not really that apologetic at all. They did say that the menu is currently being reprinted and that a note saying egg optional will be added to this dish...but I personally cannot see how and why this should happen at all.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 09, 2015

Pros: location

Cons: vegan dish served with egg, rude staff

fine spot, recommended, don't miss it - Edit

Chay Viet is a vegan/vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant in the Prenzlauerberg area of Berlin. U-Bahn stop Rosenthaler Platz en then walk Brunnen strasse to the north for 7 minutes. For veggies and also for non-veggies this is an ideal spot to have luinch or dinner, with a lot of choice and excellent fresh food. Friendly staff, clean, simple, very decent prices. For about 15 euro you can have a starter, a pint of beer, and a fine main dish.
Abundant portions. Yeah and beer/wine and so on in this pure veggie restaurants, that’s is really OK.

Pros: fully veggie and a lot of vegan, fresh food, good taste

Cons: none

good vegan options - Edit

Good option if you're in Mitte and need a warming vegan dinner. I had the coconut soup which I thought would be more soupy but was actually pretty heavy in noodles. My husband had a tofu salad that was delicious. I think it's a matter of ordering the right thing here. Another note - I had an easy time ordering in English. No troubles as another reviewer wrote. The service was pleasant and the food was inexpensive. I would go again if I was craving Vietnamese.

Pros: inexpensive, big portions

Cons: a bit heavy / not totally fresh?

Really nive vegan options - Edit

I went there a couple of times, and I must say their food is really savory. It's a bit heavy and I find to portions to be really huge, but god it's good! There are Gluten Free options, you can ask. The service is a bit slow but I really like the taste of their food here

Pros: great vegan gluten free options, really tasty, nice desserts

Cons: slow service, often order mistakes

Tried to overcharge, partly succeeded - Edit

When paying, we were presented with a tab that was either someone elses (odd, since we were practically alone in there) or just way off, almost twice as high as estimated. After pointing this out to the waitress (she took some convincing even though there were items on it that we clearly hadn't ordered, nor received) she recalculated it by hand, and gave us a piece of paper with a different sum that was much closer to what I had expected, and which I payed. Though on the way out, I took a second look at the menu, and it turned out she had still overcharged us a copule of euros.

I'm guessing this wasn't intentional; the waitress seemed much to disengaged to try to pull something like that on purpose. But she wasn't the least bit apologetic about the faulty tab either...

Try Chay Village instead. The food is better, and they can manage simpel math.

Pros: Food was good enough

Cons: Uninterested staff, No knack for math

Fresh and tasty - Edit

My husband and I ate here during our trip to Berlin. We both really enjoyed our meal. We had a bit of communication problems with the waitress, who was also a bit rude, but I think maybe it was because she didn't seem to speak much English. We ended up with another waitress who was really trying very hard and was much more polite. Our drinks didn't end up coming until after our food, but that didn't bother us, because the food was so delicious.
It tasted very fresh and light.

Pros: Fresh and tasty, comfortable atmosphere

Cons: Communication problems

Great veggie Vietnamese food - Edit

I've been here a few times and have had only good experiences. There's a lot of variety in the menu (including lots of vegan option) and the food taste fresh and authentic.

The restaurant is quite large so could be an ideal location for hosting an event.

Pros: Fresh and delicious, authentic

OK food, but not quite up there - Edit

I guess if I had never beed to Chay Village in Schöneberg (also a vegetarian Vietnamese place), I would think Chay Viet is excellent. However, the menu structure and the names of the dishes are suspiciously similar between both places. The cooks at Chay Viet do a good job, but don't quite match the skill of Chay Village's.

The service was very fast, but the place was very empty on a Monday night. I hear that this huge place fills up during the week and on weekends.

I am making a comparative review since the concepts of the places and the menu are so similar, and Chay Viet definitely pales in comparison. In a few words: if you have the time, make the pilgrimage to Schöneberg rather than here.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 23, 2013

Pros: Huge seating capacity, Large portions

Cons: Mitte atmosphere, Not as tasty as Chay Village

Fantastic and affordable - Edit

The food took longer than you usually wait at other restaurants, but that's only because it was freshly prepared. I had stuffed Tofu in a very yummy sauce and perfectly steamed broccoli and beans. They have a small but very interesting menu I haven't seen before (and I eat out a lot). Prices are very reasonable. Friendly staff. The interior is not that exciting but good enough.

boring for the price - Edit

I'm up for a cheap boring meal. This wasn't as cheap as the boringness.

6.90 starting price for a basic dish. Some ingredients were good like the mushrooms but all the secondary ingredients were flat.
It kind if felt slapped together. No spices or anything on the table.
There is definitely better for less.

Pros: decor

Cons: price, flavour, atmosphere

very good - Edit

Everything is freshly made so it takes a little time but it is totally worth it. Love the soups and starters. The main dishes are too oily for my taste.

Pros: good prices, tasty , almost vegan

Amazing value! - Edit

I've been here a hundred times and had almost everything they serve. I really love their soups which are fresh and authentic and quite big in size, even the small ones! When you order one of the big soups you should make some space on your table as they are insanely huge!!! The best things they have I think are their starters and the small things they offer, they often don't sound like much but are the gems on the menu! This is a place to often return to.

Pros: Price, Value, Taste

Absolute gem! - Edit

Okay so I arrive in Berlin late and this place is nearby. At quarter to ten, I manage to order the pho cary (tofu, vegetables, coconut based sauce, peanuts with noodles) some spring rolls and the fried banana dessert for takeaway. Man... The food was awesome, best vego spring rolls ever, main was great and dessert awesome. Best thing? It is cheap! I'd eat here most nights if I lived here! Portions were great and the atmosphere is similar to your usual vietnamese restaurant. Staff are friendly but do not know English. Wasn't too much of an issue though. Fantastic place!

Pros: food, staff, price

At last, somewhere cheap and tasty in Mitte - Edit

What a great find this place is. Great tasting food. Two huge summer rolls for only €3-, very big soups for €3-, and mains from 6.90. Do the math, if you also include a fresh lime soda, you are up for only €15.90 for a 4 course meal. Let's see MuckDonalds top that. I've been back, and back and back etc.

Pros: Cheap, Fresh, Tasty

Cons: Condensed milk in coffee, Only open 7 days a wekk, Only 99% vegan

Superb Restaurant - Edit

My partner and I went to this restaurant three times in the one week we stayed in Berlin recently because it was so good. The menu is available in both English & German and we ate different dishes from the menu on each occasion and all were of an equally high standard. They do not use any preservatives, dyes or MSG in their dishes and all of the vegetables and tofu used are cooked beautifully. The waitress was really friendly and helpful. We also believe that it is great value for money and the portion sizes were very generous. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone. We have both been vegetarian for many years and when we return to Berlin it will be the first place we go. to.

Pros: Excellent food, really fresh ingredients, excellent value

Great Vietnamese Veggie food - Edit

This stretch of Brunnenstr. has long been a food wasteland--till now. Just discovered this place, ordered the tofu-rice-noodle salad as usual for me at Viet places, and only noticed afterwards that the entire menu was vegetarian. The classic noodle dish had one of the better sauces I have ever tasted, and I have had this dish at more that 20 different restaurants before around the world. Highly recommended, and perfect after a Sunday at the Mauerpark flea market...

Pros: Very nice staff, 100% Vegetarian menu, 5 minutes from my atelier

Cons: In Mitte not Kreuzberg where I live, Could be 10-15% cheaper, Possibly too spicy for some Germans

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chay Viet closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7325 times since Apr 2012.