Chay Viet

030-48494554

Brunnenstr. 164 (at U8 U-Bahn Bernauer Str.), Berlin, Germany, 10119

"Vegetarian" is in the title of restaurant. Food is mostly vegan, with vegetables and tofu in the dishes. Sweet condensed dairy milk is used in the Vietnamese coffee. Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-10:00pm, Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 1:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by rpm_bln

Delicious dishes and friendly atmosphere - Edit

We visited this restaurant accidentally, because another place was too expensive. We looked at the menue of Chai Vilat from outside and found plenty of vegetarian and vegan dishes at cheap prices. Inside a friendly waitress gave us a table in he front. Beneath the choise of dishes, the variety of shakes and long drinks is also huge. We were spoilt for choise. After a short time we made our order and took both a meal with rise, an appetiser with tofu and a filled dumpling. 15 mins later it was served. The meals were really delicious and the size was not too big. We are excited and will come back for sure.

Pros: All dishes can be ordered in a vegan way

Cons: Kind of closeness

Lovely Vietnamese meal - Edit

Between us we had a soup, a main meal, and a dessert - and really enjoyed them all. All the options are either vegan, or can be by leaving out egg and/or dairy - this is shown on the menu.

We enjoyed our meal, and would be happy to return there if we visit Berlin again.

Pros: Mainly vegan, Convenient location

Cons: Not yet entirely vegan

hmm - Edit

great food but terrible service! probably the grumpiest and rudest waiter ever! I find this funny as the whole point in a vegetarian or vegan life is exercising compassion, and the waiter was the opposite of compassionate or friendly at all! The food was super tasty and good serving sizes for the price, but they need to get a more positive attitude!

Pros: vegan options, location, serving sizes

Cons: attitude of workers, takes forever for food, rude

Worse service I've ever experienced - Edit

I've been to Chay Viet a few times and have always been pleased with the food. However, on Friday I wanted to reserve a table for 20:30 and was told it was impossible because the kitchen closes at 22:00. This was already upsetting, but we were so excited to share this place with out of town guest we made the reservation for 20:00. We were 15 minutes late and apologised. For a party of 7 we got 4 menus and waited 40 minutes to order. At 9:30 we wanted to order a second round of drinks (beers and mango lassi) and were told that they won't serve drinks because they were closing soon. When we argued that we hadn't even received our food and wanted drinks with the food, they agreed on the beer, but not the mango lassi. 15 minutes later they came to tell us that they had run out of beer so we never got 2nd drinks. 5 minutes later they told us that they are out of rice, so 5 dishes were serve with a small portion of noodles instead. At the end of our meal they gave us a bill which included things that we had never ordered in addition to our meals. The waiter didn't apologise, but only said that the other items must have been from the people who sat there before us. For the only time in my life, I did not leave a tip. I find it really upsetting that a place that I liked so much is now on my never again list.

Pros: vegan and allergy friendly, good food , spicy is really spicy

Cons: mean waiters, spiteful people, try to cheat customers with the bill

Nice Veggie Vietnamese food - Edit

I recently had dinner here with a group of 30 people. Everyone was delighted with the food quality and size of the portions. The staff was friendly and I was impressed with how well they were able to handle our group. All the dishes were unique and well presented.

Pros: Ethnic Veggie, Good Value, Friendly Staff

Menu not labelled correctly - egg in vegan dish - Edit

At first I thought this place was excellent - large, with nice decor, a fully veg and mostly vegan menu, and wonderful starters and drinks that seemed excellent value for money. But then, my main course, which according to the menu should have been vegan, arrived with an egg in it. As it was served in a closed pot, I did not notice until the server had left, and when I complained to another staff member, they excused the first employee, who is new and not a regular worker, but were not really that apologetic at all. They did say that the menu is currently being reprinted and that a note saying egg optional will be added to this dish...but I personally cannot see how and why this should happen at all.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 09, 2015

Pros: location

Cons: vegan dish served with egg, rude staff

fine spot, recommended, don't miss it - Edit

Chay Viet is a vegan/vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant in the Prenzlauerberg area of Berlin. U-Bahn stop Rosenthaler Platz en then walk Brunnen strasse to the north for 7 minutes. For veggies and also for non-veggies this is an ideal spot to have luinch or dinner, with a lot of choice and excellent fresh food. Friendly staff, clean, simple, very decent prices. For about 15 euro you can have a starter, a pint of beer, and a fine main dish.
Abundant portions. Yeah and beer/wine and so on in this pure veggie restaurants, that’s is really OK.

Pros: fully veggie and a lot of vegan, fresh food, good taste

Cons: none

good vegan options - Edit

Good option if you're in Mitte and need a warming vegan dinner. I had the coconut soup which I thought would be more soupy but was actually pretty heavy in noodles. My husband had a tofu salad that was delicious. I think it's a matter of ordering the right thing here. Another note - I had an easy time ordering in English. No troubles as another reviewer wrote. The service was pleasant and the food was inexpensive. I would go again if I was craving Vietnamese.

Pros: inexpensive, big portions

Cons: a bit heavy / not totally fresh?

Really nive vegan options - Edit

I went there a couple of times, and I must say their food is really savory. It's a bit heavy and I find to portions to be really huge, but god it's good! There are Gluten Free options, you can ask. The service is a bit slow but I really like the taste of their food here

Pros: great vegan gluten free options, really tasty, nice desserts

Cons: slow service, often order mistakes

Tried to overcharge, partly succeeded - Edit

When paying, we were presented with a tab that was either someone elses (odd, since we were practically alone in there) or just way off, almost twice as high as estimated. After pointing this out to the waitress (she took some convincing even though there were items on it that we clearly hadn't ordered, nor received) she recalculated it by hand, and gave us a piece of paper with a different sum that was much closer to what I had expected, and which I payed. Though on the way out, I took a second look at the menu, and it turned out she had still overcharged us a copule of euros.

I'm guessing this wasn't intentional; the waitress seemed much to disengaged to try to pull something like that on purpose. But she wasn't the least bit apologetic about the faulty tab either...

Try Chay Village instead. The food is better, and they can manage simpel math.

Pros: Food was good enough

Cons: Uninterested staff, No knack for math

Fresh and tasty - Edit

My husband and I ate here during our trip to Berlin. We both really enjoyed our meal. We had a bit of communication problems with the waitress, who was also a bit rude, but I think maybe it was because she didn't seem to speak much English. We ended up with another waitress who was really trying very hard and was much more polite. Our drinks didn't end up coming until after our food, but that didn't bother us, because the food was so delicious.
It tasted very fresh and light.

Pros: Fresh and tasty, comfortable atmosphere

Cons: Communication problems

Great veggie Vietnamese food - Edit

I've been here a few times and have had only good experiences. There's a lot of variety in the menu (including lots of vegan option) and the food taste fresh and authentic.

The restaurant is quite large so could be an ideal location for hosting an event.

Pros: Fresh and delicious, authentic

Great! - Edit

Great food, nicely priced, friendly service.

OK food, but not quite up there - Edit

I guess if I had never beed to Chay Village in Schöneberg (also a vegetarian Vietnamese place), I would think Chay Viet is excellent. However, the menu structure and the names of the dishes are suspiciously similar between both places. The cooks at Chay Viet do a good job, but don't quite match the skill of Chay Village's.

The service was very fast, but the place was very empty on a Monday night. I hear that this huge place fills up during the week and on weekends.

I am making a comparative review since the concepts of the places and the menu are so similar, and Chay Viet definitely pales in comparison. In a few words: if you have the time, make the pilgrimage to Schöneberg rather than here.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 23, 2013

Pros: Huge seating capacity, Large portions

Cons: Mitte atmosphere, Not as tasty as Chay Village

Fantastic and affordable - Edit

The food took longer than you usually wait at other restaurants, but that's only because it was freshly prepared. I had stuffed Tofu in a very yummy sauce and perfectly steamed broccoli and beans. They have a small but very interesting menu I haven't seen before (and I eat out a lot). Prices are very reasonable. Friendly staff. The interior is not that exciting but good enough.

boring for the price - Edit

I'm up for a cheap boring meal. This wasn't as cheap as the boringness.

6.90 starting price for a basic dish. Some ingredients were good like the mushrooms but all the secondary ingredients were flat.
It kind if felt slapped together. No spices or anything on the table.
There is definitely better for less.

Pros: decor

Cons: price, flavour, atmosphere

very good - Edit

Everything is freshly made so it takes a little time but it is totally worth it. Love the soups and starters. The main dishes are too oily for my taste.

Pros: good prices, tasty , almost vegan

Excellent - Edit

Very good food and low prices. Love it!

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chay Viet closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.