Charly's Vegan Tacos - Food Truck

Contact 9981020523

Carretera Bocapila Tulum Km 5, Tulum, Mexico, 77780

Food truck and open air restaurant offering vegan tacos, since Jan 2016. Parks at Papaya Playa Hotel. Open Tue-Sun 1:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Fast food, Take-out, Mexican

First Review by Alexfezz

All Great - Edit

If you visit Tulum, you need to eat here. We started by sharing a fried plantain banana. I had Charly's signature tacos along with some very nice dark beer. It was all excellent. The atmosphere was very relaxing with nice lighting and music.

Pros: The great food and drink, The restaurant setting, Friendly and helpful staff

Amazing! - Edit

I was so excited that I found Charly's! It lives up to the hype. My husband an I had the chorizo bowl and it was filling enough for both of us with an extra set of tortillas. You MUST make this a stop while you're in Tulum. Just make sure you have a light with you if you plan to bike back to town after dark!

Pros: Amazing soy based tacos, Nice salsa bar for toppings, Beautiful setting

Best tacos in Mexico! - Edit

These tacos are the best tacos I've ever had and I've eaten all over Mexico... even before I was vegan I haven't had a taco that compared to Charly's!! The corn tortilla is so soft and flexible and doesn't fall apart like the typical corn tortillas. He has a help yourself pickle/salsa bar, locally made Kombucha, iced hibiscus juices and a rotating menu with tons of awesome options. There are faux meat options using soy/bean curd, etc but there are also whole food plant based options like mushrooms. The hospitality is also top notch.

The menu is getting a huge upgrade in the next few days and I'm excited to check it out! Will write another review after seeing the new menu!

Pros: dreamy little jungle space, whole food plant based options, soy based options for those sceptical carnivores

Cons: wish he would open in Toronto! haha

wow! - Edit

Charly serves really nice Tacos, side dishes, drinks and desserts. You won't find everything on the menu. Just asked!
You can order just one taco or a bowl and tortillas.
I especially loved the guacamango. Guacamole with mango.
The deserts sound as if they are really unhealthy, but the ones he had when I was there were based on fruits and nuts.
Unfortunately it's not that easy to go there. You have to walk 20 minutes from the public beach to the restaurant. But it's totally worth it.
AND VERY IMPORTANT: They are closed on Monday, not on Tuesday!

Best tacos in all of Mexico! - Edit

The food here is incredible. Actually the best food in all of Mexico! So delicious! Highly recommend the chickpea and sweet potato curry tacos and the cactus ones! Loads of amazing, unique flavour combinations.

Pros: Vegan tacos!, Unique foods & flavours

Love this place! - Edit

I absolutely love everything about Charly's Vegan Tacos. The staff are so welcoming, the atmosphere is fantastic and the tacos are the best. So many fantastic options, each one with a unique flavour profile, with a decent salsa bar to adjust things to your own taste. Each element is great, and when they all come together it is taco heaven. Great desserts too!

Pros: Each element in the tacos is beautifully crafted., Atmosphere has an island vibe., Staff is so welcoming.

Cons: There's not a Charly's where I live!

Fantastic vegan restaurant in Tulum - Edit

I think this is the best vegan food in Tulum in my humble opinion. I have been here a number of times and I absolutely love the food. Everything is 100 per cent organic and 100 per cent raw. I usually ordered the coconut ceviche, and the sweet potatoes, and roasted mushroom tacos followed by a raw brownie. The juices are some of the best I have ever tried. The waiters all speak perfect English and have never messed up my order. Perhaps the most interesting point of this restaurant is that it is great value especially compared to many expensive restaurants in Tulum so basically you can get the best food for the best price.

Pros: Delicious food, Great value, Good service

Best Tacos in Tulum, Maybe the World - Edit

I literally just finished eating here. I've been vegan for 8 years and eaten at vegan restaurants all over. I should add I also live in Austin, TX where tacos are king, and we have our own vegan taco truck. Charly's blows any place in Austin and almost any place anywhere I've eaten out of the world. If you are ANYWHERE near Tulum, you MUST eat here. I'm already planning to come back tomorrow so I can get in more of this deliciousness before we leave!!!!

#1 - Edit

I was very fortunate to be walking distance from this place and it was honestly the best tacos I've ever had! (My non vegetarian friend loved it too!) There's plenty of seating area with lots of pretty lights, defiantly my favourite place to eat in Tulum! Would be even better if they had more Mexican options but there were plenty of taco options available

Pros: great tasting food, staff, close to many beach resorts

Cons: pricey , small tacos

run! ( or bike) , don't walk - Edit

Can't believe how good this was. We got the bowls from the menu ( note 1 will feed 2 people) and comes with a side of corn tortillas that seem to have been made minutes before. Just amazing, will go again while we are here in tulum.

And the winner is.... - Edit

If I was living in Tulum, I'd be eating there every day & get take away for the days they have closed!
My favorite: tacos with chorizo and cheese.
Great service too!

Pros: fresh, delicious, friendly

best tacos ever - Edit

We were so excited to try Charly's Vegan Tacos, and it didn't disappoint. Traditionally Mexican recipes, veganised, with fresh ingredients. The friendliest chef and staff you'll ever meet, who are on hand to tell you about the food and explain the ingredients. Cool, casual location that's easy to find but also sparkling clean. Delicious tacos and sides and specials using fresh vegetables, herbs and spices with TVP, tofu and seitan that had us coming back over and over again to see what Charly had come up with each day. The hugest range of taco toppings that you'll ever see, and the tastiest homemade agua frescas. Homemade, fresh tortillas… I could go on. I miss Charly and his tacos!

Pros: Flavour, Price, Location

Cons: Wooden spoons are hard to eat with!

Best Tacos in Tulum - Edit

If you are a meat lover and have been thinking that maybe its bad for the environment, your health or the animals, but you just don't can't take the idea of eating salads (as most people think Vegan is just a salad), then this place is for you! The Tacos are amazing and you really cannot tell the difference with the meat ones (well, maybe less grease and fat). The textures are amazing and the flavour is authentic Mexican. Charly also makes a great accompaniment of sauces you can use to practically taylor every taco to your taste.
The Truck is in fixed location at Papaya Playa which is good location as it is right as you go into Tulum. Best thing to do is rent a bike in Tulum for the day and go to Charlys on the way back from the Mayan Ruins. The setting is nice, under the Jungle and they play good music.
But the Tacos!! Did I forget o mention them, AMAZING! Definitely worth a visit as I have never seen this concept anywhere in the world. Thanks Charly!!

Pros: Amazing Taste, Price in Pesos, Funky Place

Cons: Close to Road

Return to Tulum Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Charly's Vegan Tacos - Food Truck closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.