First Review by cbehrends

Huge place, decent veg*n selection, mad crowded - Edit

Central Market is sort of a superdupermarket — in size, at least. It's a division of H.E.B. so it has massive corporate buying power behind it, which keeps prices reasonable, at least for some items.

Having lived in places that have much better health-oriented supermarkets, i'm not all that impressed with Central Market, but it is a good complement to what one can find at Sunflower and Trader Joe's, and it's cheaper than Whole Foods for the most part.

There's a decent selection of organic and vegan items, though one has to look around to find them (tip: watch for the green price labels on the shelves, which are often — though not always — placed to help you identify organic items).

Chocolate fans take note: there's an uncommonly good selection here of organic, vegan, fair-trade chocolate bars, including some brands one doesn't see just everywhere. Just be sure to read labels carefully, as always. :-)

Pros: Decent organic and vegan selection

Cons: Sells meat and lots of crap, too, Can get extremely busy

Great Store - Edit

I shop here every week! I don't know how I could survive as a vegan without this place. We need more in Fort Worth because this store is almost always packed!

Pros: Vegan options, High variety , Great produce

Cons: Always busy, More parking space

My favorite Store - Edit

Central Market is such a joy to shop at. The atmosphere is very pleassant. The staff is always very pleasant,courteous, and quite helpful. Sampling is always available. I love it!

Pros: friendly staff, pleasant atmosphere, sampling available

Cons: excellent ventilation, organic available

Central Market is great! - Edit

I recently went to HEB and fell in love with all their veggies and fruits. I'm currently unemployed and living on a very tight budget, so, i wouldn't make it my first choice to go shopping; it can get pretty expensive. I like the cheese and fresh bread area, but enjoy walking thru the cafe! Always smells wonderful! If I could, I would shop here for EVERYTHING!

Pros: Plenty of fruits and veggies, Everything is fresh, Different varieties of everything

Cons: Pretty expensive, Always packed

Contributions +22

Good variety - Edit

Central market usually has a good selection of organic and non-organic fresh vegetables and fruits. Unfortunately I have not seen any non-vegan bakery goods :o( There is a decent selection in the frozen foods areas (Amy's brand along with some others). In the hot food/cafe area they usually have a good variety of vegan foods to choose froom: fruit salad, steamed veggies, baked beans (black, red, etc.), rice, garlic glaze tofu, etc. The sandwich area gives a grilled vegetable option that I just love to have on whole wheat bread along with roasted red peppers and fresh avocado :oP In a town where vegan selections/options are somewhat limited this is a good place to shop!

Pros: Variety of foods: Fresh, frozen, or hot , Convenient - almost a one stop shop, Cafe area

Cons: No vegan baked goods :o(

Great place - Edit

Love this place the produce is great and they always have a good choice of organics. I drive 30 mins just to come. It is worth it. Try out the smoothies or ice cream! People there are always so helpful, too. Come and try it!!

WAY Overpriced! - Edit

Everything at Central is super expensive. I mean you can find certain things there that may be hard to find in other places but I have walked out of that store more then once with 40 dollars in only one bag of common items. They make Whole Foods look like a bargain. I would reccomend going to Sprouts much much cheaper and just as good of a vegan selection.

Return to Fort Worth Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Central Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2430 times since Aug 2007.