CLOSED: Cafe Verdure

Contact 514-285-4915

2159 Rue Mackay (at Sherbrooke), Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3G 2J2

Opened Jul 2013, this is a vegan cafe where the food is gluten free, sugar free, and organic. Sandwiches include burgers, Italian veg-ball, grilled vegetable, portabello. Also offers pizza, special of the day, soups, salads, doughnuts, cookies, and cakes. Requires walking up a steep flight of 6 stairs. Confirmed closed, Mar 2015.

Category: Vegan, American, Pizza, Organic, Take-out, Bakery, Canadian

First Review by BaloneySlap

Delicious, but disappointing - Edit

I was excited to try out Café Verdure; while I am not gluten-free, I am always looking out for new vegan restaurants. The café itself is nicely decorated and the staff were very friendly. I ordered the veggie burger. While the burger was very flavourful and tasty, it was SO tiny! It was more like a snack than a lunch. While I am happy the café caters to vegans and celiacs alike, I don't think I will be returning.

Pros: Warm environment, Friendly staff

Cons: Very small portions, Expensive

Pleasantly Surprised - Edit

I was looking for a gluten free place to eat in downtown Montreal and found Cafe Verdure.
I had the Verdure pizza. I haven't had pizza since becoming gluten-free so this was a treat for me plus I had a bowl of the creme of vegetable soup. Both were very good, really flavourful and moderately priced.
The food is all hand prepared on the premises and is all vegan too. Desserts looked good and are gluten-free and vegan too.

It's a cozy cafe with nice ambient music. Really the only negative comment I have has nothing to do with the food...it's the washroom...it's not in the restaurant. I had to go outside, around back and into another building. Not really a big deal just unexpected

I'll definitely be going back there soon

Pros: gluten-free , home made, vegan

Cons: washroom not in restaurant

Probably won't return - Edit

Went here for the first time for brunch and was extremely disappointed. The cafe appears to be a low key joint, calm, clean, minimalist but not in a fancy way, just simple. Simple enough to get a shock after ordering at the counter for 3 people : the price was 60$-for food you order at the counter. This made me quite skeptical considering we had each ordered a plate of waffles and one hot drink. When the food came I tried to be optimistic as the 2 waffles per plate were large enough. But with it, they only gave about 2 tablespoons of syrup and a small amount of cashew cream. The syrup didnt even cover one of the waffles-which turned out to be quite dry, and when I went to the counter to ask for more syrup the staff the staff told me to sit down and they'd bring more out. When the server returned, it was with half the amount that she had originally served (as if there were some lack of maple syrup in Quebec?!) which made it crystal clear that I should not ask for more. To get to the point, this made the dry waffles inedible. Not a single one of us was able to finish our meals (which I have never seen my husband do before) because it was so uncomfortable to eat the dry waffles. (We were also not given any water). So basically, we paid 60$ for some flour and water and a bit of fruit that we could'nt even eat. Great Saturday morning. Plus, the photos on their website are quite misleading. It looks like they have lots of baked goods but in reality, their display case was completely empty except for one parfait.
Staff seemed unorganized and friendly in a very forced, fake way. Overall, not a pleasant experience.

I find it quite disappointing to have to write such a bad review especially because, as a long time vegan, I love nothing more than to see new vegan restaurants thrive. This place just doesn't compare to the other places around Montreal, where you get a beautiful and better tasting meal, service, for the same or a better price. Hopefully someone there will read this and realize that Canada isn't the place to be stingy with syrup.

Fantastic! - Edit

I spent a month in Montreal and this was a place I frequented often. Everything they make is delicious and freshly made when you order. Bobbi is the sweetest and will always accommodate your allergies if she can. My only complaint is there isn't one is Los Angeles. I love this place!

Pros: Everything is good, They have deserts, Inexpensive

Healthy vegan restaurant - Edit

I just discovered this restaurant since it has opened few months ago.
The owner/chef is very friendly and I like the "private" atmosphere.
It is not as fast paced as the other restaurants and it looks very clean.
The food is rather simple but good and healthy. It is the type of food I enjoy and that I would myself prepare at home.

Pros: Friendly staff , Great location, Very healthy options

Cafe Verdure is Fantastic - Edit

I ate here twice while I was in Montreal and everything I had was fantastic.

My first trip was just a dessert trip, and so I got an iced Latte, Cinnamon Doughnut, and Blueberry Pecan Scone. The doughnut had great flavor and wonderful texture. IT was Gluten-Free and while I enjoy Gluten-free foods I often find Gluten-Free baked goods to be crumbly. This is not the case with anything I tried at Cafe Verdure. All the baked goods were moist, fluffy and delicious. I especially liked the scone which was one of the best i'd ever had. I also like that many of the desserts have a sugar-free option.

My second trip was for lunch I had the Italian Veggie Ball Sandwich, and my husband had the Portabello Mushroom with Herb Butter Sandwich. Both were excellent. I loved the flavor and texture of the veggie balls, and the herbed butter on the mushroom sandwich was great! Even better was the delicious gluten-free bread the sandwiches came on. It was so moist, and flavorful I could have just eaten the bread by itself.

Food Aside I thought this little cafe had a really great atmosphere, great music was always playing and the owner was super nice. She talked with us for quite a while and when I asked her what kind of flour she used for the baked goods and bread she told me she makes her own blend and that for each product the blend is different to ensure that each baked good is moist, light and fluffy. This kind of effort really means a lot to me, and the love she puts into her food really shines through.

Sadly each time I went in there were only a couple of customers, this cafe is new and so I hope it starts getting more attention in the coming months, because it truly deserves it. I know that if I lived in Montreal I would be visiting frequently! I know i'll definitely stop in on my next trip because we really loved this place and it's amazing food!

Pros: Excellent food!, Fair Prices , Friendly Staff

delicious! - Edit

I love this place! As a gluten-free vegan, i sometimes find it difficult to eat out at restaurants, but walking into cafe verdure was like coming home. I love the italian ball sandwich, and the portebello with herbed butter sandwich is great too. The paratha brunch platter is some of the best vegan indian food i've had in the city!

Great new place! - Edit

I love this little counter-style vegan restaurant. I came once and had the sliders with salad. The patties were DELICIOUS! Really good homemade, healthy recipe. And the dinner rolls they came on were super...moist and tangy like buttermilk biscuits. We had to try the cute mini donuts and they were also delicious. I can't wait to see them develop in the next few months. Certainly going back.

Pros: Excellent food, Fair prices, friendly staff

Cons: Bland decor, Air conditioning on very high

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Cafe Verdure closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5425 times since Jul 2013.