Cafe 1901

Contact 86-10-6616-0335

101 Xianmen Street, Xicheng, Beijing, China,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Set in a historical building with three levels of couches, booths, and tables set amongst a library-like setting. Menu includes several veg choices including veg pizza and "the veggie works" fries. Offers coffee from the Canadian brand Kicking Horse. Located near Beihai Park, 2 blocks from the Xisi subway stop. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Pizza, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by enRoute

Basic cafe with very limited options - Edit

Not sure why it's listed in HappyCow. Like every european style cafe in Beijing, it's got some sandwiches, pasta and pizza on the menu. The only vegan options were a soup or margharita without cheese, which I managed to order after long negotiations. The extra toppings were never added, and the super doughy pizza was more like a ciabatta bread with tomatoes. The obly reason I'd go again is how quiet and empty the place was -- perfect to take a nap.

Pros: Quiet, cozy

Cons: Not really a place for veggie meal

An unexpected surprise - Edit

On our trip to Beijing, we stayed at Alborada Hostel, just down the street from this Cafe. (Closest train station - Xisi) It was the best way for us to start each day on our trip in Beijing. The first trip there, we had the veggie fries and the veggie pizza. I think we were so excited to have vegetarian food, we went overboard. The fries were a very large bowl of fries with dressing and vegetables on top. We were quite full and pleased with the food and options! In the morning, the coffee was perfect. :D

Pros: Proximity, Atmosphere, Free Wifi

Charming little gem near Beihai park - Edit

What a cool place! I wandered in looking for coffee one day and was impressed by their strong Kicking Horse espressos. It wasn't till the third visit that I wandered upstairs and looked at the menu.

The place is huge, set in a gorgeous historical building, and filled with tables and booths for working on wifi or lounging. They have at least 5 menu items for veg/vegans; nothing compared to other restaurants in the city, but good for this area which has hardly anything. The veggie pizza isn't mind-blowing, but it's fun. Many workers understand veg concepts.

It's the kind of place I almost don't want to talk about too much to not give it away... but it deserves the support as it's a very cool little spot.

Pros: Gorgeous, Unique, Great Coffee

Cons: Limited veg options, Somewhat pricey

Return to Beijing Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe 1901 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.