Bread and Sons Bakery

Contact 613-230-5302

195 Bank Street (at Gloucester), Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K2P 1W7

Vegetarian bakery and coffee shop. Makes breads and baked goods, date squares, soups, salads, hummus, sandwiches, pizza. All items made-in-house.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Pizza, Organic, Western, Take-out, Bakery, Catering

First Review by dkingdesigndotcom

White Bread Vegetarian - Edit

I used to really like this place, but it's gone way downhill in the past year.

What were once healthy, hearty vegetarian sandwiches on delicious multigrain bread are now unwholesome convections on tasteless white focaccia that is closer to cake than to bread.

Don't even dream of asking for anything on brown bread, because the manager will look at you as if you're from another planet. All the hullaballoo about locally sourced ingredients is pretty empty when the food on offer is so unwholesome.

Don't plan on going back again.

Pros: Friendly staff (some of them), Nice atmosphere

Cons: Unhelpful manager, Unhygienic (dirty countertops)

best bakery ever! - Edit

My wife and i, along with our six month old daughter, are on holiday in Ottawa and went there this morning. Pastries and sandwiches were excellent, as was the peach lassie. Lots of vegan options too. The music was great - our daughter was rocking out to it :-)

The staff were very friendly too.

We can't wait until we go back and try pizzas and other delicious looking stuff.

Pros: great food, Eco friendly, friendly staff and nice music

So-so vegan sandwich - Edit

BF and I picked up a TLTP (tempeh, lettuce, tomato, bell pepper) sandwich for lunch. Line was long but moved swiftly. There're probably around 10 seats tops, so it's mostly a take-out place.

The sandwich was just alright, a tad dry, could definitely use more spread/sauce. I guess pizzas are their forte because that was what most people got.

Cons: small place

Excellent Find - Edit

Yummy cinnamon roll, carrot walnut muffin, carrot juice, and vegan oat and raspberry cookie and oat and chocolate cookie. Very small with little seating in and out but highly recommend. Also, very friendly service.

Pros: Delicious, Healthy, Friendly

Cons: Small

Great! - Edit

This is a great place for take-out. They have a some vegan options, which unfortunately I didn't even get to try all. The vegan pizza is one of the best I have had, with lots of veggies and spices. Also try the pumpkin muffin and the coffee from the coffee dispenser, which is much better than the fresh coffee you will find at a coffee place. (they have an espresso machine but it wasn't working that day). Friendly staff and nice atmosphere.

Pros: good vegan options, good coffee, in the city center

Cons: take out only

Great Vegan options - Edit

They have all an all vegetarian menu but lots of vegan options. I personally love their vegan pizzas loaded with all types of veggies including sauteed onions, mushrooms, olives, tomoatoes, sweet potatoes and kale. Best vegan pizza in Ottawa! The Smokey Tempeh Sandwich is also amazing!!

a haven! - Edit

In a town where vegetarian means "avec goat cheese", it's a pleasure to find somewhere that mixes it up a little bit - vegan pizza, vegan soups and sammys and a wonderful selection of baked goods. The staff are chill and the business model is great. I only wish it seated more than 3 people, b/c he music selection is awesome also. Ottawa is so lucky to have Bread & Sons right in the d/t core!!

Pros: vegan friendly, local, atmosphere

Cons: small

Best Cookies and Pizza - Edit

Bread and Sons Bakery offers a selection of tasty health cookies, which is great for the office and retail workers in the immediate area. Cookies are often purchased for office get-togethers. Variety of flavours available, such as chocolate chip, peanut butter, and oat.
Vegetarian pizza slices are extremely popular with the clientele and the Bakery is the most popular "health lunch" option in the downtown core.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine

Take out bakery with some vegan options - Edit

Bread and sons is a takeout place. They have about 2 places to sit down. I love how their food is shown all around the place instead of being the other side of the counter. We can actually see what we will be eating. We ate a vegan pizza ( with mostly spinach on it ) and we saw that there was vegan sandwiches also. On another visit, we tried the vegan muffins and cookies. They have limited choices. It is mostly a bakery, where you can get bread, some vegan sweets, or vegetarian/vegan pizza. This is not the kind of place where you get service and a full meal. Just know that. I didnt so i thought it was someting else. I still appreciated my visits there as i found it was a nice, not pretentious at all, earth friendly bakery.

love this place - Edit

I used to work near Bread & Sons, which was a real treat. Their baked goods are excellent, and they make delicious sandwiches, my fave being an avocado/tomato/sprouts on spelt (vegan). So delicious. Also, their soup is really excellent too. They've really expanded their vegan offerings lately, which is nice. Their chocolate chip oatmeal vegan cookies are my favourite cookies there. Excellent bread. Good price considering the quality. Friendly people work there, always nice to chat with. Love this bakery.

Pros: Local ingredients, Mostly organic, Excellent Quality

Cons: Not much seating

Not Thrilled - Edit

I was in Ottawa visiting and delighted to see this place listed here so ran right over from my hotel the first afternoon to pick up some yummy vegan goodies. Was completely disappointed though when the only vegan options I saw were a banana bread and a cookie. I got the banana bread which was ok but nothing spectacular and pretty expensive. I wouldn't go back.

Cons: expensive, not many vegan options

Great find! - Edit

My boyfriend and I were staying near the parliment hill and such area, and after seeing this on happycow decided to try it. It is a little pricey but its organic and as local as possible. The owners are great, friendly and if you go after the lunch rush theres a few chairs to sit at. We ate there twice, both were good expereiences, the first time we had the roasmary and sweet potato and mozza pizza (its cold but I'm sure if asked they'd warm it up, the sauce is the perfect sauce for pizza!P) It was on a spelt crust and veeeeeery good, also had an oatmeal cookie which was pretty good, not the best, but good. A walnut scone (not sweet enough, but made with real organci butter!) The 2nd time we had a marinated tofu salad which was quite large in size although a little pricey but very good. and a goat cheese (organic and local!) and argula, roasted red pepper sandwhich very good! Also the carmaliezed onion pizza and the black bean rolls (whih are veeeeeeeeeeeeeery dry, and I don't recommend but everything else I recommond its delious and a good veggie find!

Pros: Organic, friendly owners, Unbleached flours, vegetarian cheese used

Cons: pricey, poor selection, cold food

Nice but pricey - not many vegan items - Edit

My wife and I were in Ottawa and wanting to stay around Parliament Hill and the National Gallery region. This small cafe/bakery wasn't too far from this region and was just a small walk away.

There weren't as many vegan options as we would have liked but we bought two cookies (of one variety), banana bread (I wish I had had some Earth Balance to spread on!) and a green tea (to sip on but maybe more to just warm up the hands on the chilly morning).

The prices were quite high but we needed to find something to eat in the morning. The cookies and banana bread slices were around $2 each so more pricey than we would pay unless we really needed to find something while travelling.

The small cup of green tea was around $1.60. Maybe this is normal for coffee shops but it seems a bit much to someone who never goes out to buy tea .

Pros: decent taste

Cons: pricey, needs more vegan items, some not labelled

Return to Ottawa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bread and Sons Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5378 times since Aug 2007.