First Review by SynthVegan

I LOVE Bot!! - Edit

I check out the selection at Foodsmart when I can. I'm vegan and GF, so sweets can be hard to find. I love Bots PB cookies and cinnamon rolls. Wish there was more of a selection at this store!! Keep it coming!

Pros: vegan, GF

Had High Hopes - Edit

Like another reviewer, I really wanted to like them as well. They've been regular vendors at my local farmer's market for over a year, and when I first happened upon them, I was thrilled. I was so excited to finally be able to grab a baked treat I could actually eat, while wandering the market.
Sadly, their products need some serious improvement. I really tried to like them. I went back several times to give different items a try, but each time I was sorely disappointed.
The cookies are tough and dry.
The savory pastries are too greasy, too dense, and have too much crust and too little "filling".
The cakes and coffee cakes are way too sweet and somehow manage to be both dry and oily at the same time.

The prices are pretty high as well. I'd normally expect that from vegan/gluten free products and a small bakery, but these seem higher than warranted, particularly given the quality of the products.

I bake gluten-free and vegan at home, so I know it can be done well - moist, springy (not disintegrating), light, and without overloading on fat and sugars.
It's great that they're bringing Vegan/GF out to the masses, but, at the same time, they're perpetuating the misconception that Vegan/GF baked goods are an unsavory substitute for egg/dairy/gluten.
Sad.

Pros: Vegan, Gluten Free, Really nice owners

Cons: lackluster/dry, products too sweet/oily, overpriced

Bot Bakery - Edit

I'm sorry to say it, but the vegan baked goods are terrible. I've tried them when they were sold at Green Grocer and at their (now closed) restaurant, Great Taste Cafe. Both times I thought the items were dry and bland. I'll try them again to see if there has been any improvement. The owners are really nice too, I really want to like their products.

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bot Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 998 times since Nov 2011.