Blockheads - Morningside Heights

Contact 212-662-8226

951 Amsterdam Ave (at Morningside Heights Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10025

Serves meat, vegan options available. Billed as San Francisco-style burrito joint with several NY outlets. Has vegan cheese and tofu sour cream. Loud, party atmosphere. Open Mon-Thu 11:30am-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-12:00am, Sun 11:30am-11:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Take-out, Mexican, Tex-Mex, Non-veg

First Review by madjoy

Disappointed - Edit

I was excited to try this Mexican restaurant that has vegan-labeled items on the menu. the first thing the server said was that there were vegan options, but he didn't seem to know what vegan means. I ordered tacos with tofu, daiya cheese, and tofu sour cream instead of Chipotle mayo. on of the tortillas had bits of berk in the edge (my omnivore friend tasted it and confirmed). The owner or general manager was nice and helpful and understands vegan needs. He brought me a replacement taco that appeared to be meat free. The taco actually tasted quite good, but I am not likely to go back.

Pros: Vegan labels on the menu. Tofu taco with vegan rep

Cons: Servers and cooks don't seem to know what vegan me

Enormous, delicious vegan burritos!! - Edit

The reason why I love this place is pretty simple. You can stuff your face with a giant burrito that is clearly marked as vegan. You can fill them with tofu, veggie chili, rice, and vegan cheese and top them with (really tasty and homemade) tofu sour cream. It's the best vegan burrito I've ever had (including my homemade attempts)!

There are some other dishes that aren't vegan by default but can be made vegan upon request (e.g. tacos, vegetarian chili come with cheese by default). At least when I've gone, staff have seemed knowledgeable about what "vegan" means, which is always a plus.

There are plenty of reasonably priced and fun drinks as well (my favorite is the grape bulldog).

The only con for me is it is kinda loud with a party-ish atmosphere... but small enough that it isn't well-suited to large groups. Whatever. I'm still going to go for the burritos!!

Pros: vegan burritos, tofu sour cream, huge portions

Cons: loud

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Blockheads - Morningside Heights closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 752 times since Oct 2014.