La Fourchette

Contact 075-213-3693

1F Sumioka Building, 460 Kinbuki-cho, Oshikouji-dori, Ryogaemachi Nishiiru, Kyoto, Japan, 604-0846

Located in the Karasuma-Oike area near Kyoto International Manga Museum, this restaurant serves entirely vegan French dishes using organic vegetables wherever possible. Offers 3 different priced sets (starts from approx. Y4410 up to Y7350). Note that group dining must order the same course option. Mon-Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Sun 6:00pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan, Organic, Beer/Wine, French

First Review by swirlyfox

Fabulous Little Vegan Restaurant! - Edit

This cute little restaurant is definitely a must for any vegan visiting Kyoto. It has set multi-course meals with varying prices which you can choose from. My mom and I both got the special, which included four courses of an appetizer, freshly made bread, the entrees (roasted vegetables and homemade veggie patty), and desert. It was just under 3000¥ each (a little less than $30). It was worth every yen because all four courses were absolutely delicious! I cannot praise the chef's skills enough.

As I mentioned, the restaurant was tiny (seating for 8 & a little kitchen big enough for one chef), but the atmosphere was really nice, relaxing, and quiet. On top of that, the chef/owner was incredibly kind and accommodating! I speak very little Japanese and he seemed to speak only a very little bit of English, but we were still able to communicate fairly easily.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this cute, delicious restaurant!

Pros: Delicious food, Intimate atmosphere, Helpful, kind, and polite proprietor

Cons: A bit on the pricey side, but reasonably so and de

Very dissapointing - Edit

The owner and the chef is extremely rude and the place is dirty. The food is just ok. I just could not wait to leave the place.

We enter the restaurant, arrived 5 min early and made us wait outside in the rain, did not ask or offer what they have in the menu, but just brought their lunch set, not a word of welcome or anything, food was place in front of us but no explanation, when I asked what they are (not even a menu was in our table) he said "it is what you see. Did you not check our website?"
The place smelled bad and cold.

Why go there when there are so many fabulous vegan restaurants with great food and happy to receive their customers?
Never again !

Pros: French vegan

Cons: Worst service , Dirty

Enjoyable food and conversation - Edit

A tiny little place run by an interesting chef, we enjoyed our meal here even though it's not the kind of food we usually eat (it's kind of French but involved some pasta and some Japanese inspired dishes as well)

Happycow lists it as organic - it's unclear how organic it really is, as when we mentioned it we noticed he felt a bit uncomfortable with the topic... we guess he probably uses some organic ingredients but mostly conventional.

Not so special that we have gone rushing back there but we enjoyed our meal there all the same.

* We speak Japanese so no language issues - can't comment on other posts around language but agree with the previous poster that the food definitely was all vegan and we heard the story about his conversion too

Pros: Personal touch - feels specially made, Vegan, some organic, Open for late dinners

Cons: Standard is not quite 5 star

The hardest working chef in Japan - Edit

The owner preps, cooks, serves, cleans - he's the only employee. It's a prefix menu so you better like what he's making that day. We were served plain pasta with sautéed veggies. It was good but I wasn't impressed. My family really liked it, however. The restaurant seats about 8 people max but is very quaint. Worth the visit.

Quaint, quirky, and delicious! - Edit

First of all, to clear up any confusion: La Fourchette is completely vegan. The owner underwent a personal shift to veganism a year or two ago and completely changed his French restaurant to vegan as well. He only speaks Japanese and only accepts cash (no credit cards, checks, etc). However, he is also a very dear and fascinating character, not to mention a wonderful chef. Be prepared for a delightfully lengthy, multi-course meal - you will not leave hungry or disappointed.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 10, 2014

no English menu - Edit

We found it ok but unfortunately there is no English menu available. Having seen some vegan bloggers warm that its no actually a vegan restaurant combined with the Japanese only menu make me a but too nervous to order. In the evenings there are three set menus, one at 4900y, with the most expensive being around 8000y per person. It's a very small cafe and no English is spoken. Or French.

Pros: easy to find

Cons: no English menu, expensive given the setting, is it suitable for vegans?

Seemed like a nice TINY little place - Edit

The owner or chef was very polite but didn't speak of word of English and turned us away despite the fact that there were three people sat eating in the tiny little restaurant.

If you speak Japanese (or maybe French) call ahead to verify that you can eat here.

Nice atmosphere and good food - Edit

Had a good and not too expensive meal at this place which is clearly french/paris themed (not in a unattractive way)! The food was nice and we could also enjoy good wine to the food!

Pros: Serves wine, Central

Cons: Small and a bit warm when we went

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Fourchette closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3963 times since Jun 2013.