Beetroot Stories Cafe

Contact 087-0246903

Ratchadamnoen Rd, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50100

This vegetarian restaurant is behind Wawee Coffee Shop Kad Klangwiang. Offers many vegan menu items. A sampling of the food: avocado sandwiches with pineapple and tomatoes, grilled vegetable sandwiches with pesto sauce, mussamun curry with pineapple, potatoes and carrots, stir fry cashew nuts with pineapple and bell pepper, boiled beetroot with pesto sauce, olive oil and vinegar, hot cappuccino with coconut milk. Closed Mon-Tue third week of month. Mon-Sun 10:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Thai, Western, Fusion

First Review by Davemeredith

Go for the salad - Edit

First of all, their salads are amazing, absolutely love the dressing and the vegetables are always fresh.
Everything else is a no-go. Had the fried rice without egg and it was swimming in oil and it was sooooooo salty, also the rice was still pretty hard and the veggies basically consisted of onions. Portion was quite small too.
I remember having a curry here some time ago and wasn't impressed with it neither.

Pros: awesome salad

Cons: too oily, salty, small portions

So expensive... - Edit

I looked at the pictures on here to see the prices and they showed that Beetroots sandwiches cost about 80-90 Baht. Unfortunately when we got there they had stickers with new prices on their menue. They really uped the prices by 40 Baht (!) or even more.

We ordered two sandwiches without cheese and asked if it will be cheaper because the grilled cheese is essentially what makes the sandwich more expensive than the Tomato-Avocado Pesto one for instance. The waitress said we don't need to pay for it but her english wasn't the best so we were kinda suspicious about her statement.

The sandwiches were good and what I really liked is the dressing that comes with it.

The bad thing was... we paid full price for a sandwich with grilled vegetables and pesto (140[!!!] Baht) and a sandwich with tomato and pesto (130). We asked if we wouldn't have to pay for the cheese because we omitted it but the female manager of the restaurant rolled her eyes at us and said we have to pay for it even though we didn't order the cheese sandwich with cheese....

So all in all, we paid a ridiculous 270 Baht for four slices of toast with veggies. Please do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. At Taste of Heaven we would have had been able to get a tea, two big mains and desert plus ice cream for the same price. Will definitely not go here again.

Pros: Nice dressing

Cons: Expensive, Had to pay for cheese, Manager showed really bad behaviour

Always good food! - Edit

Really yummy brown rice and curry. I love the simple rice and the juices are good too.
Very friendly staff. They remembered me from my last visit 2 years ago.
This cafe is always on my list for Chiang Mai

Pros: great food, nice people , good location

Cons: sometimes a bit slow , not super comfortable

Cheap, Hit and Miss Food - Edit

Cheap 80 baht meals for red rice and a main dish of either curry, stir fried veggies. There are also salads, sandwiches, and fried rice. The mushrooms in coconut milk was good but had ants in it for some reason. Veggies with cashews and pineapple was good. The beetroot salad was just...weird. Good resto for a quick meal anyway.

Pros: Some good dishes, Cheap, Good location, easy to find

Cons: Some bad dishes, No airconditioning

Tasty sandwiches for lunch - Edit

Beetroot Stories Cafe was the first place where I had lunch during my stay in Chiang Mai and I enjoyed it a lot. I ordered an avocado sandwich because I needed a change from all the rice dishes, and it was really tasty. It was not too filling, but just right for a light lunch while exploring the city. Service was friendly, but very slow - although I feel that this is the case in many Thai restaurants, so I don't complain.
I also ordered a fresh juice which was nice, too. There are many advertisings of yoga courses and other events on the walls and the cafe is grouped around a courtyard with many other cafes. I found it easily, though.

Pros: Varied menu and tasty lunch, Good location

Cons: Slow service

has potential but is a let down - Edit

I don't like to leave bad reviews but I've been to this place many times mainly because I love their super salad with the fresh ginger dressing, but as for everything else on the menu it just isn't to my standard. The sandwiches are sloppy before I've finished them because the filling is too 'wet', the smoothies have sugar in them, the last time I went I thought I would try the massaman curry and it was probably amongst the worst food I've ever had in Thailand, this is saying something as I've been coming for 14 years, it was so so sweet, tasteless and runny and the rice was unseasoned so very very bland. I will go back but only for the super salad as I love sitting in the garden with a book and watching the world go by. The owner is lovely, the places is really cute, she buys from local farmers and she says food is organic so it's a shame I am leaving not a great review as this place really has potential.

Pros: the setting, the ethos

Cons: tasteless food, sugar in smoothies

Perfect: Let's try it! - Edit

I had the green curry with brown rice. My girlfriend the fried rice with pineapple, cashew vegetables and yellow curry. Both was perfect!
Also the fresh juice was very tasty and all made without sugar and ice. Just try it!

Pros: Everything is made with love. Food and interior., Very authentic!

decent food - Edit

I had a curry and banana and homemade peanut butter shake which were nice. one lady speaks good english, so there was easy for me to communicate with.

the drink in Chiang Mai was often L or XL size.
I often asked how big the food was, and waiters indicate about this big, but when the food were served on the table, the portion was as twice big as the waiters indicated. so I often ended up getting too full.

I also wanted to try coconut milk cappuccino, but I didnt have enough cash on me.
Next time i go back to Chiang mai, i will definitely try it out!
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 24, 2015

Pros: nice area

Simple Raw Tasty - Edit

If you are Craving a "Western" style Toasted Sandwich, this is the place...

Relaxing Cafe with many Fresh Fruits, Jucies, smoothies, Lassies, Salads, a few Thai curries & stir fries...not to mention A "Rockin'" Toasted Sanga!

I had a Very "Slurpicious" Bannana-Choc Smoothie, not Sweet but Rich and Chocholatie! YummO....

Nice Food - Edit

The food is pretty good here, the menu is fairly limited and the service is kind of slow but it's a small place so they don't have that many people working here and it's Thailand so you get used to it anywhere. Would have liked to have seen more choice on the menu but the prices are good, ambiance is nice and the food hits the spot. Even though they don't sell alcohol, you can buy it from the place next door and drink it in here.

good food and nice service... - Edit

We had the avocado sandwich and a thai curry. The avocado sandwich was really delicious, but a little pricey. The thai curry was good, but nothing special. We had also the beetroot juice - really delicious.

Pros: good food, nice service

Cons: little bit pricey

There's always something - Edit

I initially visited this restaurant about a year ago, and gave a 2 star review because of how frustrated I was with the slow service. Back in Chiang Mai again this year, and staying a 2-minute walk from Beetroot Stories, I thought that I'd give it another shot. And although the impression that I have now isn't quite as negative as that first visit twelve months ago, I've now been here three times, and every time there seems to be something.

That first time 12 months ago, the staff were so slow taking my order that someone took my table and I ended up stuck outside on some bench in the dark, far away from the restaurant itself, and very pissed off. The next time, I had a lovely dinner only to be confronted by a drink that I did not order having been added to my bill. I had to contest that it had been added in error, and they removed it without arguing, but still. And then the last time, they were again very rushed and understaffed. Everyone was waiting 20+ minutes for their food, and seeing as I was only having a cold sandwich, such a wait seemed farcical. It was making a lot of customers very agitated.

Plus, on this final visit they were having a real hippy problem, where a group of hippies had infested the biggest table and, not only did they smell repulsive, but they were playing music on their weird hippy instruments, much to the ire of everyone else in here. But rather than trying to fix the hippy problem, the owner seemed to encourage them. Which they didn't need, hippies never do. They already live under the assumption that people want to hear them make music out of plant pots and bits of string. Let's not make it worse, we're just trying to have dinner here.

I want to like this restaurant, I really do. The staff are so friendly, and I love what they stand for; organic, local produce. On three visits, I haven't once walked away not shaking my head about something though.

To their credit, the food is good. You just might have to wait a long time and put up with some bs before you can eat it.

Nice cafe, good sandwich - Edit

This is a nice cafe situated in a park-like yard surrounded by many small restaurants.

The pesto is vegan (at least when I asked) and I had sandwich with pesto, avocado and tomato. It was good and came with a bit of salad with pineapple dressing. I did not check if the bread was vegan, as toasts usually are not in Thailand.

I would be even nicer if vegan foods would be marked in the menu :)

Pros: good sandwich, peacefull location, nice little restaurant

Food glorious food go try it - Edit

How anyone can say a negative word about this place is beyond me. I have now visited it three times in last 7 or 8 days and have tried almost the entire menu including all the juices and everything was mouthwatering.

The owner is so cool and speaks perfect English and loves to talk and tell her story. Place is open just over a year and seems to be doing quite well, I hope so anyway as she makes great food and excellent juices and coffee.

The veggie toasted sandwich is wonderful, all the rice dishes are also excellent.

This is one of the best organic cafes in Chiangmai.

Well worth a visit , you'll be back for more.

Pros: Owner is cook, Nice Location , Nice decor

Cons: none

Nice eclectic vegetarian cafe - Edit

Some of the negative reviews here may be from tourists who don't really get the idea of a small restaurant with an owner who is the main person working all the time. I've been here for many good meals and have seen a number of rude tourists who don't understand the concept. This is a really nice place with really good food. The curries are tasty, the sandwiches and salads are as good as one might find in London or elsewhere for a fraction of the cost, the juices are rich, and the prices are comparable to other farang-oriented places. You will have to be patient for your order to arrive, as everything is made from scratch as far as I have seen. The one downside is that no alcohol is sold, but that's hardly an issue considering you could get a drink elsewhere beforehand.

Pros: healthy and tasty, food made from scratch, nice owner

Cons: no alcohol served

Nice small veg place - Edit

The place is small, but cozy. Nice salads with healthy dressings. But we're not impressed with the smoothies: they're too cold (in case if you ask do not add ice) and overwatered. The prices are ok. Veg but not organic. Note: there is a mistake in the happy cow's map - it's located two blocks to the east from the mark.

fresh and made to order - Edit

Good food made fresh to order. The owner is very stressed but kind. Made a mistake and offered us that dish free when we didn't eat it. Great juices and good vegan options. Good atmosphere but its changed a lot since some of the employes left. Hopefully they get back on track. Good prices :) eat the beet root salad

Pros: good food, made fresh, beets!!!

Cons: inconsistent hours, inconsistent food

The Beet Story - Edit

My first time going to Beetroot was good. The panang was tasty with fresh vegetables. Not the best in the city though but good. My coconut milk, banana, chocolate smoothie was good too. I went the second time for lunch and they were closed. No sign posted. The third time I went to get the same smoothie and the quality was not as good. More ice than coconut milk. The staff person might have been new. Hence, the average smoothie.

Fourth time I was disappointed. I requested massaman with no onions. And I got onions. But the thing that got me was that it was not freshly made. It scooped out from a hidden dish somewhere. It looked liked something that was made from the day before. And barely any vegetables.

As I was spooning through the massaman curry I saw onions. The staff person rushed over and said I'm sorry you said no onions. She took the food back. At this point I thought she would make a fresh bowl of massaman. But I noticed she ducked out of sight behind the counter. I walked over to checked and she was picking out the onions.

I just told her if it was cooked with onions that I would like to cancel that order and get something else. My intuition at that point was to leave. But I stayed.

So the owner pops in and says hi. She remembered me from the other visits. She said, "You are lucky you came on time. I was going to closed early." Hmmm, I'm lucky?

Alright, veggie business owners never do this. It shows the customers that you are not committed to serving the vegetarian community and its not compassionate to when customers are looking for a trusted source to eat when traveling.

So the owner makes stir-fried vegetables with cashews and pineapples. Mouthwatering just thinking about it as I heard it being made. My smoothies came and it was watery. So basically hardly any coconut milk was added with more ice and water. 50 baht of half goodness.

The stir fried came and the veggies were swimming in broth. Tasted good but mmmm. Where are the vegetables? For 70 baht I should have more that 1/8 cup of vegetables.

Review:
Average food not well proportioned for the price.

Pros: Good Location

Worst Tom Kha I've Ever Had - Edit

When I discovered this place, I was looking forward to finally having a *vegan* (as opposed to 'vegan-with-shrimp-paste') genuine Thai soup. To say that I was disappointed is an extreme understatement. What was promoted as 'Tom Kha' was in fact half a very small bowl of coconut cream with SOOO much salt in it (presumably to replace the galangal, kaffir lime, lemongrass, garlic and chilli that were missing) that it was inedible. I've rarely left anything on my plate, ever; love soup; and hate wasting money; but after scooping out the few vegetables, I left the brine-like liquid for the staff to deposit it where it belonged, down the drain. The juice was nice though.

Pros: Nice juices, friendly staff

Cons: terrible, terrible food, too much salt, vastly overpriced

delicious - Edit

If I hadn't seen this place on Happy Cow I wouldn't have looked twice at the sign. It's set back from the street in a well kept garden courtyard. I had a green curry veges and my wife had stir fry veges with cashew nuts. Both were served with steamed brown rice which was a nice change from all the white rice we'd been eating. It's better than the brown rice at home as well, more like wild rice! Both meals were delicious and we will eat there again before we leave. I also had a cappuccino with coconut milk and liked it a lot, the coffee is percolated, not espresso. The lack of froth and cocoa powder meant it was more of a flat white but it was a nice change from soy milk. Water on ice was placed on our table when we sat down but no one else was drinking theirs so we didn't either just in case, we didn't ask if it was purified or not. There's some good choices on the menu, I will upload a photo when I can!

Pros: tasty food, clean shop, good price

Delicious Beetroot Salad! - Edit

The salads at Beetroot Stories is a lovely change from the standard menus in Chiang Mai's veggie cafes. I had the beetroot salad twice, it was a big portion of boiled beetroot with cashews and a drizzle of olive oil, and had a delicious dollop of pesto in the middle. Beetroot Stories is a little hidden behind Wawee Coffee on Ratchadamnon but really central. She also serves breakfast (coffee with coconut milk!) and all the food is organic, sourced from local farms and vegetarian.

Pros: cosy little store, organic and vegetarian, friendly owner and staff

Great fresh food - Edit

We ate here a couple of times. Food was very good and the shakes / juices were excellent. Try the pineapple+banana+peanut butter shake, it's awesome!

Pros: Great food, Excellent shakes

Cons: Not much seating

Good healthy fresh food - Edit

I found this cafe by accident as I was looking for the Tien Sieng Taiwanese restaurant. (Unsucessfully and I had looked for it twice. Shame as it sounded good.)
Beetroot is located in a new corner shopping/eating area. The cafe is cute and quite small. There is a huge hand painted beetroot on one of the walls.
The staff were very friendly. I was pushed for time so I ordered a salad and a juice(beetroot, apple and lime... I think). The salad had a lot of variety and was very tasty. The highlight was the cashew, garlic and lime dressing. Seriously yum and really brought the whole dish together.
They have their own organic farm where all the fresh produce is sourced. How fantastic! I think you can visit there too.
If I had more time in Chaing Mai I would have returned to try out more more of their dishes.

Pros: Friendly staff, Fresh healthy food, Farm sourced vegies

Cons: Not a huge menu

Nice place - Edit

Simple clean cafe easily located in courtyard. Supporting organic and local farmers. Fresh juices and coffee drinks. Portions are a bit small but it is quality unlike some other places I've eaten at in town. Good sandwiches with vegan pesto.

Yummy food, welcoming staff, good atmosphere - Edit

I have been here several times and will continue going back. All food I have tried here (vegan) has been really nice, the quality of fruit/veg they use is evident. They make a great fruit shake which is a good size too.

best sandwich in the world! - Edit

Try the avocado-tomato pineapple sandwich with ginger dressing, it was massive and blew my mind! Lovely staff, good portion sizes and a nice mixture of snacks and Thai classics. Obviously prices can't compete with cheap noodle stalls but it's so worth the money!

Nice food - Edit

We went hereforlunch. This is a fairly new place and the owner is trying hard to make a go of it. Her rent is quite high and as it's a small place it's not that easy. She has an interesting menu whichcaters for both tourists and Thais. They make a lot of the items fresh for customers. The portions are a bit mean I'm afraid and I think that will hurt the number of customers who return and maybe the viability ofthe venture in the long run.

Pros: Fresh food, Good location, Menu for Thais and westerners

Cons: Small portions

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Beetroot Stories Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5365 times since Sep 2011.