Baladi Mediterranean Cafe

Contact 757-425-8877

626 Hilltop West Shopping Center, Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA, 23451

Serves meat, vegan options available. Established 2008, this casual cafe offers Mediterranean cuisine with vegetarian and vegan suitable dishes like spicy jalapeno hummus, muhammarah (walnut and pistachio dip with pomegranate molasses and olive oil), chopped parsley with organic cracked wheat salad topped with and fresh tomatoes, cucumber and almond slivers. Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm

Category: Organic, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by Veganmama23

Very vegan friendly - Edit

This place is awesome! The staff is super friendly and knowledgeable on veganism. The food is excellent. My husband and I go here regularly and have tried several vegan items, all have been wonderful. This is a go to date night spot. The prices are reasonable, but the atmosphere is a little more fancy and the food presentation is nice. The only drawback is that it's a small place and it can get crowded. I'd love to see them expand.

Pros: Lots of vegan choices, Good prices, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Location is a little small

Delicious! - Edit

My husband(non veg) and I (vegan) ate here for an early dinner and it was great! It's decently priced and they had some delicious vegan options for me so I was happy. The tofu portabello wrap was amazing! Service was good and atmosphere was really calming. Loved it and will be returning! Warning: the almond cookies they give you if you're a first timer there are NOT vegan!

Pros: ambiance, great food, located near other vegan friendly places

Delicious! - Edit

This restaurant has a huge selection of vegan items, from appetizers, main courses, to desserts. The food was delicious and the service was awesome. Can't wait to go back again. I would give it five stars if I could.

Pros: delicious , tons of options , reasonable prices

So many vegan options, I didn't know what to choose - Edit

My friend told me about a great little Med place near her house. I thought "what the heck, I can always eat hummus if there's not anything else vegan". I didn't see the listing on Happy Cow, so I wasn't sure. What a fantastic surprise!!! There were so many different vegan options, I had a hard time deciding! I can't wait for my husband to drive here from Northern Va, so I can take him to Baladi's.

Pros: fantastic vegan choices, several types of hummus with the softest, warmest , attentive service

Cons: I can't think of one! They even have vegan dessert

Some Options -- NO Flexibility - Edit

We eat vegan/no-oil. Although the Baladi's menu contains several options that are vegetarian and could be vegan, most are foods that contain significant oil. My friends wanted to come, so I called ahead earlier in the afternoon to decide whether I'd be able to find anything meeting my no-oil, vegan needs & was assured I would be fine & the chef would be happy to cook me something with vegetables without added oil. However, when I arrived that evening, a different chef was on duty & I got nothing other than completely undressed salad greens. Probably my WORST local eating experience, even in a community that is not particularly vegan-friendly.

Pros: NONE

Cons: Food LOADED with FAT, UNwilling to accommodate dietary needs, DO NOT trust promised food characteristi

delicious! - Edit

wonderful place to eat that is full of spices that will light up your mouth! they have so many options for everyone which is perfect because you don't have to worry about people's diets so much, they even mark everything on their menu so you don't have to ask! if you like Mediterranean food and all the spices with it then you will love Baladis! such a variety of flavors- I go there often and never get tired of it because there is so much to offer..small and cute little place with awesome food! Not to mention there is something for everyone's price range!

Pros: small, few staff

Cons: variety, inexpensive, friendly

Refreshingly creative vegan fare! - Edit

Just superb all the way around. Love that they support local farmers and offer an array of vegan selections.Their owner sends newsletters to keep interested customers up to date on specials, and I'm always enticed to come in! I have not been disappointed with food or service here. Our kids LOVE their falafel. They have vegan dessert options, too.

Pros: Many Delicious Vegan Options, Support Local Farmers, Intimate Atmosphere and Great Service

Happy search - Edit

I went here when on vacation. This was the 2nd veg-friendly restaurant in this plaza area. What a happy find. The Mediterranean cuisine with vegan dishes and options....oh happy me. The atmosphere of this place was great and very relaxing. The specials had both non-veg and veg. The food was great and they even had vegan desserts...which were great. Will be coming back when I am there again. The eggplant moussaka dish was amazing and made me want to recreate it at home.

Pros: Food choices, Great food, Atmosphere

Yum! Yum! - Edit

We just enjoyed a great meal at Baladi. We were excited to see that they had several vegan options for our consideration. We started with grape leaves and hummus which are both very good. The best grape leaves we have ever had! The entrees were wonderful sweet and spicy but not overdone either way. We had cold tea...so refreshing. I think the best part of our experience was meeting the staff. They were all very helpful and personable. All in all it is a friendly, fun, and fresh place to eat!!

Pros: Fresh, organic ingredients, Many vegan options, Friendly staff

Tasty vegan options, 5 stars! - Edit

Very yummy, fresh food with great variety! When we first walked in, I wasn't sure how good it would be because there was not much room to sit. I was pleased at the variety of vegan options on the menu, even desserts! They are moving to a new location soon so we will likely make it a regular date location since there will be more room to dine in. We were able to chat the owner up during our visit, very friendly! I love middle eastern food as well and they had plenty of my favorites. They do have meat on the menu but their menu clearly marks vegan and vegitarian dishes. All of the food is made fresh right in front of you too! I'd give it five stars but the website won't let me because meat is on the menu. Few restaurants in this area with this many vegan dishes.

Pros: Fresh food, Variety, Portions

Cons: Small dining area, Limited hours on some days

Return to Virginia Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Baladi Mediterranean Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4105 times since Sep 2011.