First Review by missjen55

Tastee - Edit

Went for breakfast one day and had a perfect fresh bowl of oatmeal with a pile of fresh berries. No complaints, just a happy belly. Friend had a smoothie which she was obviously digin'. Had a taste, yum. Kind, helpful folk.

Great brasilian stuff! - Edit

A perfect place for breakfast in Santa Barbara. The place offers a good choice of acai bowls, containing fresh fruits, icecream and cereals. Ask without honey and the servers to confirm that what you choose is vegan but there is a lot of vegan choices.

Pros: yummy acai bowls, healthy food, friendly staff, good portions

Cons: not fully vegan

Yummy!! Breakfast/quick lunch/snack Food - Edit

I LOOOOOOVE Backyard Bowls and honestly I don't eat here nearly enough for how good it is.

If you like Acia bowls- you will LOVE this place!
A Backyard Bowl is a mix between smoothie/blender and an Acia Bowl concoction (originating from Hawaii I've heard) and it's PACKED with fruits, Vegies, seeds, goodness and totally yummy. kids LOVE this place too-you'll see a lot of moms + kidos around 3/4pm fueling up and grabbing healthy snacks here. I believe they have oatmeal and some cereal type options available on the menue as well.

I started eating here before I was Vegan and I know a lot of non-Vegetarians that are addicted to this place. It's also a wonderful spot to fuel up before or after a workout.

Although they have tables + chairs and a place to sit, its more like a coffee/tea shop environment. So I wouldn't plan a lunch date here unless your looking for informal.

Pros: Taste , Sweet & SUPER Healthy , Easy

Cons: Can get pricey if you go often

Great for breakfast! - Edit

We tried Backyard Bowls for the first time today and were thrilled! Everything was made fresh and our bowls were delicious! I had the Ultimate Oatmeal Bowl (hold the raisins) with fresh strawberries and added coconut. My husband had the Spartan Muesli with strawberries, blueberries and banana. We both left feeling stuffed and energized - we'll be back!

Pros: Fresh and YUMMY, Friendly staff, Food came fast

Cons: Limited seating

Second Store in Goleta - Edit

So happy to have a second Backyard Bowl in Goleta at the Calle Real Shopping Center! Halfway through a health cleanse, on my way to becoming mostly vegan....Backyard Bowls was my "go to" place. SO GOOD! I never ate fruit on my own...never had a juice with ANYTHING GREEN in it...eww...now I am a convert.

The owner and other staff have helped my on my journey, offering tips and websites to keep me on track I am now 24 lbs lighter and feel great!

Pros: consistant quality

Cons: slow service at times

Great breakfast place! - Edit

Cute little stop in the over-priced town of Santa Barbara. Very tasty and healthy foods to give you energy and enliven your body. Considering how expensive this whole town is, the prices are very reasonable. The location is a little hard to find, but in the age of the GPS, it's no big deal. The location is very convenient.

Pros: Super-healthy, Tasty., Quick service.

Cons: Due to popularity, VERY busy

A lot to love - and some room for improvement - Edit

There's a lot to appreciate about Backyard Bowls. It serves tasty, healthful food with original recipes. It makes a commendable effort to be ecologically sustainable. A significant portion of its ingredients are organic (and they're clearly marked on the menu). The prices are fair considering the ingredients. And there's no meat.

The concept behind the menu is so unusual (and rather narrow) that i'd expect it would have a niche appeal, but when we showed up at lunch time the place was packed with a short line waiting to order, so it seems they're finding favor.

One thing to know before you go is that there's almost nothing hot on the menu (other than the "hot quinoa bowl" and maybe 1 or 2 others), and in fact most of the bowls are icy cold due to the frozen açaÃi that is the star ingredient at Backyard Bowls. We were shivering after our lunch and had to stand out in the sun for a while to get warm again. We both would be tempted to go much more frequently if there were more hot (or at least room temperature) items on the menu.

VEGANS BEWARE: Another thing to know is that nearly every dish has honey in two forms: the granola they use is made with honey, and they put a few squirts of honey on top. We specifically ordered our bowls "vegan, without granola or honey," and they were kind enough to offer to give us crushed almonds in place of granola, but after all that my bowl still got a squirt of honey, to my chagrin. Perhaps this might've been due to the essentially fast-food assembly line nature of the place, and maybe also because the restaurant is relatively young and may not have worked out all the kinks yet. One would hope that proper training of the staff in regard to managing special orders would eliminate this kind of problem in the future. Vegans should also note that some of the items contain yogurt. In general, the fact that virtually none of the items are vegan without making a special order (which may or may not be executed correctly) is a bit unappealing; hopefully this will also be corrected in the future as the menu expands. More completely vegan items would be a very welcome addition.

Those who favor raw food would likely be in heaven here (provided your body tolerates the cold açai­), but to others it might seem more like a glorified smoothie joint, since the focus of the menu is essentially very thick smoothies served in a bowl with fresh fruit and toppings. Meal or dessert? You decide.

We hope they succeed and evolve!

Pros: Fresh concept, Some organic ingredients, Commendably eco-friendly

Cons: Could be more vegan-friendly, Almost nothing hot or warm, Limited appeal for full meals

AMAZING!! - Edit

I don't even want to share this place because it is so fabulous I wan't to keep it to myself. I am vegan and go through raw spurts every once in a while and my go to order is green bowl with almonds instead of granola, maca and bee pollen. Super nutritious, super good for you and under $10!

Pros: healthy, fast, delicious

Return to Santa Barbara Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Backyard Bowls closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2675 times since Feb 2010.