First Review by DP

real tasty vegan food, with helpful staff - Edit

I had a rough time finding somewhere with vegan food, but luckily I found Au Potiron, there wasn't anything vegan in the menu but I asked the waitress ( who couldn't rlly speak English but she understood what I said) for any vegan plates and she gave me loads of options I had a delicious vegan meal and I'm exited to go back there

Pros: nice vegan food, good environment , helpful staff

Cons: vegan items are not marked on the menu, the staff doesn't speak good English

Wonderful Find! - Edit

Caught an early lunch here last week. Spouse & I had the plat du jour which started with a lovely goat cheese salad. Main course was heavenly - spouse likened it to ratatouille (with faux meat) and the most aromatic rice I've ever had. Easy find based on Happy Cow with Google maps on phone.
Staff was lovely, spoke just a little English but enough to explain a word or two we didn't catch. I think the language barrier may have limited our choices but we were very happy with the food we ordered.
Would recommend and if ever in town again we will return. We only did lunch there and it filled up fast!! We had just arrived- didn't attempt to call a lunch reservation but would have considered calling if going to dinner based on the lunch crowd.

Pros: Hearty, filling food

brilliant for France - Edit

Great rustic vegetarian take on French country cuisine. Not much in vegan options but extremely helpful and open to vegan requests. The gratins are amazing. Vegan option is made with soya cream and no cheese. The result is extraordinary. White flour and white sugar limit options for some. But in general flavors are compelling. Every dish is made by hand in a one cook tiny kitchen so waiting is not fast food time. A great stop visiting France!

Excellent (for France) - Edit

Honestly this restaurant would earn 3 or 4 stars in Berlin or San Francisco. But given the fact that France is a terrible place for vegetarians, this haven earns the 5 stars. The plat du jour (midday menu) is good value for your money.

Pros: Vegetarian food in France!?!

Cons: Small, Opening times restrictive , Not good for vegans

Bad eperience - Edit

Maybe we just came to the wrong time but for me as a vegan this wasn't a good experience at all :( They offered just ONE menu, which wasn't vegan, first the waitress told me, that we can go if we don't want to eat it but after asking the cook I could chose between very few "gratins", it sounds better than it is, it's just vegetables in tomatoe sauce. Really disappointing and boring. The waitress wasn't friendly at all, my french is quite good but she wasn't patient and inattentive - our food came before our drinks because she brings the usual free tap water only if you ask her (unusual for france).
My mom ate almost nothing, she had a pizza calzone, she said there where no spices at all used and it was obviously mushey.
There are no signs for vegan food. They offer coffee with rice milk (no soy milk) but it came with milk chocolate :(
She brought me a non vegan soup, too so she is really inattentive...

Sadly the worst vegetarian restaurant ever visited even non-veg restaurants make tastier vegan food and take more care to not bring me non-vegan food.

Pros: not expensive , near to town centre

Cons: very unfriendly , not vegan friendly , food

Excellent food, friendly service - Edit

We had delicious lunch twice in this restaurant not far from the cathedral. On the first day, the menu (10 € 50) consisted of organic pumkin soup, vegetable (mushroom and brocoli) turnover with salad, followed by apple cake. On the second day, the menu was : avocado tartine, tomato+mushroom+carots with green peas and rice, mousse au chocolat.
My wife, who does not eat eggs, took a vegetable gratin topped with mozarella on the first day, as main course. On the second day, the lady of the restaurant proposed a green salad as starter and fromage blanc with red fruits instead of mousse au chocolat.
The two ladies who served us were attentive to our dietetic requirements. In spite of the crowd, they were very friendly.

It was okay. - Edit

The restaurant wasn't that busy when I rolled up at about 9pm on a Wednesday night. I was offered a table outside but I wanted to avoid speaking my crappy French and the waitress did not know any English. I ordered the rositti/risotti? It had feta, capers, olives, aubergine and zucchini. It was alright, bit heavy on the mozzarella. I got the bill quickly because it's a nightmare to find a park around there and had to pay for parking near the university. So thus completes my experience. It was okay, but wouldn't write home about it. Was 10euro for a pizza.

Pros: Good value, Atmosphere, Food okay

Excellent tasty food.. busy so reserve or go early - Edit

We loved this place. Only down side was that the menu was in French, however with a little patience and picture pointing we were able to communicate to the waitress we dont eat onion, garlic or eggs. She showed us the options available and we had a wonderful meal. Approx. 9-15 euros for a main.. great size pizza & pasta meals.. highly recommend this place.

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, large portions

Cons: menu in french only

best french food I've ever had - Edit

This was such a positive experience it's hard to share. We don't speak french but the very friendly staff took the word vegetarian and came back with a three course lunch.

An amazingly flavoured mushroom soup as a starter, accompanied by the perfect french bread; then we were served a lentil stew with potato and dill on top; followed by a slice of apple pie that was fantastic.

it's more like eating in someone's house than being in a restaurant with a fixed lunch menu.

Couldn't rate it high enough - french food without ham or cheese, who would have thought. the price was rediculously good value euro 33 - included a demi-carafe of house wine.

Pros: amazing service, great tasting, authentic

Cons: nothing, nothing, did get a bit warm with heater

A "must" in Strasbourg - Edit

We went to "Au Potiron", a nice little restaurant, in Summer 2010. Luckily we went there pretty early because at about 1pm all tables were already taken. The menu of the day consisted of asparagus with creme fraiche as an appetizer, eggplant filled with lentil bolognese and a mixed salad as main course and a gateau chocolat with whipped cream as dessert. The whole menu was delicious and cost only 10,5€! The waitress was very busy because she was alone there but still very friendly. Absolutely recommendable!

Good vegetarian choice - Edit

Au Potiron is a charming restaurant in a charming street on the fringe of the historical city centre. Good vegetarian pizzas and lots of nice gratins to choose from. The red wine was good and not expensive, staff was friendly and good service.

Return to Strasbourg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Au Potiron closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.