Au Lac

Contact +48-888999099

Chmielna 10, Warsaw, Poland,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has a separate veg menu with a wide range of vegetarian and vegan dishes. Located in the heart of city center. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by shinyuu

Tasty Asian fast food - Edit

The food was yummy, service was fast and friendly.
The food was very oily and I am not sure if it was healthy.
Went there a couple of times and after a while you get bored.
A must visit in Warsaw.
To take non-vegetarian for a meal it is a good bet as they will not find difference between meat and soy/seitan protein.
Took my mother in law from Brazil who loved it for her fist vegan meal.

Pros: Very fast service, Cheap, Good location

Cons: Not organic , Too small for big group

Best restaurant every! - Edit

This is by far my favourite restaurant in Warszaw! When I come visit family and friends in Poland, I have to eat there at least a couple of times, otherwise my vacation is not 'fulfilled' :)
Their menu of vegan dishes is very vast and I have yet to try a dish that isn't delicious. Once, I got a fish-imitating dish that tasted and smelled like fish - even my meat-enthusiastic father was 'fooled' by it!
Prices are very low and the small restaurant has a nice atmosphere despite the scarce interior.
(I wanted to rate this restaurant 5 stars, but this is not available for restaurants that aren't fully veg).

Pros: Delicious, absolutely delicious!, Vast menu for vegans, Low prices

Asian with a Polish twist - Edit

Au Lac is a vegetarian Asian restaurant which has a separate vegan menu, but also serves meat (separate menu and separate kitchen).

The style is Asian fast food, with a big choice of dishes most of which uses soy/mock meats/fish accompanied by noodles, rice and shredded white cabbage salad (similar to the Loving Huts in Warsaw, though I find the loving Hut a bit better).

It's tasty, very fast but does not taste very healthy!
A good option for a quick exotic bite in the city centre.

Very simple, not expensive, good choice - Edit

Visited Au Lac end May 2014. Had a basic seat outside, at a a not well place kept little square along Chmielna street, full of restaurants and bars. Great choice, friendly lady, beer available in adjacent shop(and allowed to drink at the Au Lac, which is very friendly indeed). Good food, large portions. Enjoyed it.

Pros: all veg, good quality, nice and friendly

Cons: very basic place

3/5 stars must be a joke... - Edit

I'm really surprised about the rating as I was dilated to eat at Au Lac. The place is small, right, but it isn't a big problem for me. The thing that counts is food, and it's REALLY delicious.
The portions are enormous - don't go there unless you're starving ;) Anyway, spring rolls and vegan shrimps are my number one. Damn tasty.
And it's really cool to get such a big portion for a low price.

Pros: FOOD!, Prices, Portions!

Cons: Small interior

confusing vegetarian vs vegan situation - Edit

I was at Au Lac last month and I heard from a friend that there is in fact only a limited selection of real vegan choices and others only vegetarian. He wasn't sure about fish sauce in the vegetarian stuff either. But still, there is definitely a vegan selection and one can do nothing wrong by ordering the choices displayed in pictures behind the counter, they are all definitely vegan.

I had Pad Thai (not thaaaaat cheap with 16 zl but definitely filling or even for two people) and some spring rolls, both well made and tasty.

As for the rest, small place, but a good choice if you are in Chmielna and looking for some asian food without speculating too much if it's vegan (like in Du-za-Mi-ha) - at least as long as you stick to the special items. If you don't care about asian though, I'd suggest walking around the corner to Tygrys for some burgers and hotdogs.

cheap and tasty - Edit

As far as I know they're now completely vegan, because when I asked if a certain dish was vegan they told me the whole menu is. Couldn't find it confirmed on their FB page though.

Like said below, if you're hungry and just want some good tasting food to fill you up, this is the place to go. It's pretty cheap (we paid 36zl for a soup and two dishes) and portions are quite big.

Staff speaks English too btw, but if not you can always point the dishes you want ;)

Pros: informal atmosphere, hidden from hipsters on Chmielna, cheap and tasty food

Cons: no cosy atmosphere, small

Why the low scores? - Edit

I found this restaurant to be very nice. Good portions, great tasting food and helpful staff. The only downside is that the restaurant area is very small so it can be quite cramped.

Pros: Good service, Nice food

Cons: Very small area

nothing special - Edit

a friend recommended me that place saying it's amazing so i gave it a go. the food was okay, it's a pity they sell meat there now as well. it's very tiny and not too cozy. but the location is great.

Pros: location, value for money

Cons: serves meat too, small

Decent Oriental Fast Food - Edit

Ended up in this place whilst looking for Vege Miasto which is very close by. I decided to have a tofu sweet and sour dish with rice which was quite nice and filling rather like the food I am used to from UK Chinese take-aways. I just wanted a good hangover cure and a salty, succulent Asian meal always does the job. Not the most luxurious of places but it's cheap and cheerful and just what is required for a quick fix. They do serve some meat of course but the vegan / vegetarian choice is pretty exceptional. There are so many great places in Warsaw now and to be honest I would choose Loving Hut over Au Lac for my Oriental craving whenever in Warsaw but if you have time, give it a go.

Pros: cheap, big portions

Cons: serves meat, bit grubby

Vegan Asian Food - Edit

Portions in Au Lac are really big and cheap. Place is not very pretty, it's just like a stereotypical bar with asian food. You won't invite your girlfriend or boyfriend to Au Lac for romantic dinner, but you can use it when you're in hurry, somewhere in the city center. Vegan food has separate menu, is prepared in separate kitchen. Empoyees don't speak English or even Polish very well, but it's enough.

Pros: cheap, city center, wide offer of vegan food

Cons: not very tasty, not very pretty

Return to Warsaw Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Au Lac closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.