Addis Ababa

Contact 020–6184472

Overtoom 337, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1054 JM

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian cuisine includes spiced vegetable, lentil, and potato dishes that are often vegan suitable. This place advertises a "vegan friendly" sticker on its door, and reported staff knows about veganism. The vegetarian mains are vegan except for containing cottage cheese. Open Mon-Sun 5:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

First Review by jennyc32

5 stars great food! - Edit

Fantastic Ethiopian restaurant with many vegan options run by a very friendly, English speaking family. My wife and I ordered the vegan banquet, a sample of several dishes including 3 types of lentils, spinich, beans, pumpkin and Ethiopian pancakes. Also a health & fitness freak, I was very pleased that little oil / additives are used in the dishes. Good, clean, healthy & tasty food! We'll be back! And very cheap!

Pros: Great tasting food, Healthy, little oil / additives used, Low prices

Cons: None!

An original vegan option - Edit

When I was here, I ordered the vegan version of the mixed vegetarian dish, this costs 13,50 and you don't need to eat again for a least another day! If you are a member of the Dutch vegan society, you even get a discount of 10% on the food, but not on the drinks. Even without this discount the prices are very fair. The staff is very friendly as well!

Pros: Delicious food, Fair prices, Helpful staff

Cons: Outside of the centre, Not organic, No vegan desserts

An exotic and perfect vegan dinner in Amsterdam - Edit

What attracted me and my husband to enter was a sign in the front door saying "vegan friendly". Inside, the service was so great, the waitress was so helpful, simpathic, and suggested us some vegan options. We ordered the #18 (a mix of all veggie/vegan dishes - #12 to #17), just excluding the cottage cheese. And a coconut beer, so delicious and served in a real coconut bowl, not in a glass! So exotic! The food was really tasteful! I really loved it and I wish coming back if someday I come again to Amsterdam! And the staff do not hurry you to leave the place when you finish your meal (I particularly HATE this), they really respect their customers!

Pros: Tasty, Nice service, Lots of options!

Friendly staff, good food, choice for vegans - Edit

I have on many occasions been given reason to doubt that staff at restaurants really understand what vegan means, but here I did not have to worry! The friendly waitress explained what allergens the vegetarian dishes contained and which ones could be made vegan, and I also saw an advert for gluten-free dishes, which can be ordered one day in advance. I tried a vegan engudaye be, which was clearly fresh and tasty, though could have been a bit spicier in my opinion. But that's just me. Overall I would recommend giving this place a try, especially if you want to try a new cuisine - Ethiopian makes a change from what I am used to, in a good way.

Pros: Friendly staff, vegan options, welcoming atmosphere

Delicious and such friendly staff - Edit

I was en route to find a vegan restaurant and saw this place with its 'vegan friendly' sign and was lured in by that and the promise of Ethiopian food. The staff were lovely and the food was some of the nicest I've ever tasted. So soo good! Would highly recommend number 18 which is a mix of all the veggie options and if you ask for it to be vegan they simply remove the cottage cheese from one of them.

Lovely - Edit

Very very nice food. Food can be vegetarian/vegan and the menu even said it can be gluten-free. I didn't try this yet, but i will! Because i will definitely come back some time :) Oh, and eating with your hands is a must to enjoy the taste of Africa!

Pros: Vegetarian, Good taste, Eating with your hands

Cons: Busy

Delicious vegan options - Edit

I was lured into this place by the "vegan friendly" sign on the door, and I'm glad I was - the food was delicious and the service was really fast and friendly. The waitress confirmed that all the vegetarian options except for one were vegan, and persuaded us to try the combination plate, which featured a bit of everything. All of the dishes were so good! There were an additional two injera per person on the side. The food was so delicious, I'd highly recommend it.

Pros: Tasty food, Several vegan options, Helpful, friendly staff

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Addis Ababa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.