HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Wisdom & Spirituality

Wisdom Forum

Jesus is a vegetarian!

Responses (39)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Veganwithavengance at 12/09/13 20:09:14

There is no way of knowing that unless you have perfected time travel.

• Report Abuse

Posted by savetheanimals at 12/10/13 21:54:33

Jesus is a fictional character from a fiction book.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Happy wild horse at 12/12/13 08:26:48

go away all u bad people and get a life

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 12/15/13 10:33:55

While one cannot "prove" the existence of Jesus (very little was written about him until long after he was supposed to have lived), neither can on disprove it.

But if he lived and was as concerned with suffering as many believe, I should think he would have been a vegan, and that doesn't seem to be the case if you buy the scriptural tales.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Veganwithavengance at 12/15/13 13:17:48

I am bad persyn because nobody knows anything about Jesus except some stuff written in a book long after Jesus was supposed to have existed?

Unless we can both prove the existence of Jesus and prove he was a vegetarian we shouldn't make assumptions and post them as truths. You have to be able to prove what you are saying with facts and no facts really exist.

As far as getting a life, I have one, I devote a good chunk of it to standing up for animals and fight against exploitation for all beings. I also enjoy cycling, outdoor adventuring, cooking, playing and listening to music. I am hoping to go to bike mechanic school next year and eventually learn how to build my own bicycle frames and possibly open my own shop down the line (which would be completely vegan ALA Veloshop run by Molly Cameron in Portland).

Again make sure you have factual evidence before you write something. If you cannot back it up it is generally best to keep it private.

Have a great day : )

• Report Abuse

Posted by rae*of*sunshine at 12/22/13 11:37:58

(yes I am operating under the assumption he was a real person)
    Seeing as he lived in a strong fishing community, and made comparisons to his disciples as "fishers of men," I highly doubt he was vegetarian. Multiplying the loaves and fishes to feed thousands? If he were veg*n he would've just multiplied the loaves ;)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Happy wild horse at 01/08/14 16:16:33

If you do not have any good to say about this post I don't see why you are on this forum.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 01/09/14 08:38:19

Because a healthy discussion includes opposing views and ideas.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 01/09/14 08:38:44

Because a healthy discussion includes opposing views and ideas.

• Report Abuse

Posted by The Hammer at 01/13/14 19:36:21

In Jezus' time there were no animal factories so there was also little need to be vegan.
    But i am sure that if Jezus lived today and did see undercover videos showing how chickens and pigs and other animals are raised he would not hesitate to become a vegan!

Okay, now about you, you are vegetarian ? Hmmm, please check out some videos about cows and chickens, okay ? ;-)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Happy wild horse at 02/01/14 20:39:35

We have no factory farms were I live so no need to be vegan.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 02/02/14 06:02:49

Being a vegan means a lot more than just being against factory farming. It's about not treating any and all animals in ways that cause suffering. Whether an animal is raised in a factory or not, to kill a sentient being means they are suffering the loss of their life...and they typically have family and friends that suffer from the loss as well.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Happy wild horse at 02/02/14 11:16:56

Milking a cow can't kill a cow and most cows were I live are happy so I see no harm in drinking a little milk now and again and anyway this site is a vegetarian and vegan site so you are out of order trying to make me vegan!

• Report Abuse

Posted by MHC48 at 02/04/14 14:11:58

The Buddha (if he lived) was vegetarian. And Krishna (if he lived) was a lacto-vegetarian. Bahá’u’lláh encouraged it. Moses (if he lived) was not, nor was Mohammed.

So what?

The first Sikh Guru—Nanak Dev—said it was pointless to debate the merits of either not eating or eating meat in the context of religion, as maintaining a strict diet does not make one blessed or elevate one to a superior status over another, spiritually or otherwise.

We should all simply concentrate on what we do and why.

• Report Abuse

Posted by RayTomes at 03/25/14 17:10:33

I read in Hare Krishna cook book (very good otherwise) that Jesus was a vegetarian. I did some research about the loaves and fishes and what word was used for fishes, and there is no doubt that it was fish. It would be nice if he had been vegetarian, but it seems that he was not.

Related to this, it is probable that Jesus was a member of Essene sect, and as reported by Romans and Greeks, they did practice vegetarianism.

• Report Abuse

Posted by RayTomes at 03/25/14 17:13:41

It is not correct to say that Buddha was a vegetarian. As monks they accepted the food put in their begging bowl, including meat. However he told monks to refuse meat if they suspected that the animal was killed for them. His emphasis was clearly on discouraging the killing of animals.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 03/26/14 11:08:25

To happy horse-

Virtually all male calves of dairy cows go to veal crates, one of the real horrors of animal agriculture, to be painfully confined and intentionally malnourished before being sent to the slaughterhouse at around 14 weeks of age.

Dairy cows also typically go to the slaughterhouse when their production drops below "optimum profit levels"...when they are only a few years old.

• Report Abuse

Posted by The Hammer at 03/27/14 06:04:37

@ Ahimsa, well said. Might i add that mother cows get so disstressed about their baby calves taken away they occasionally try to jump over the fence (or barbed wire)
    Happy cows? These cows are far from happy, they are miserable because there baby calf is taken away.
    And please note, Happy Horse, that this is a forum, not North Korea, we are supposed and allowed to communicate various and diferent ideas. LBNL, the supermarkets where you shop don't have products from animal factorie animals?? That is a tat unbelievable, to say it politely.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Happy wild horse at 04/05/14 04:00:08

It is inappropriate to talk about this on a Christian from that is for Christian matters and I don't want to see a anty religious person on this from again or I will report you for not being respectful of other people's religions if you want to be on a religious from talking about the son of God be respectful of other people's religions.

• Report Abuse

Posted by savetheanimals at 04/06/14 02:20:13

I plan on eventually responding to all your post you made Yesterday. I don't plan on responding to them all today. I want to take my time so, I will give good responses. I am starting with this one.

Censorship is bad. You are trying to censor thought by threatening us. You said: "I don't want to see a anty religious person on this from again or I will report you for not being respectful of other people's religions"

It is a threat I honestly want you to carry out but, it is still a threat. The reason I want you to carry out your threat is that I have not done anything wrong and neither has anyone else (besides you trolling) here. We have freedom of speach on this form. You reporting us expressing our freedom of speech is not going to get us in any kind of trouble. I do think it would give happycow a chance to look at post you have made. I think that the only reason you are on happycow is to get a laugh out of posting purposely stupid comments. You even have bad grammar and misspelled words that happycow's spellcheck wants me to correct when I quote you. I think you are doing that on purpose too because they would have also come out as misspelled for you too. Some of the stupid comments that you post are supporting animal exploitation on a form that the majority of commenters are vegan.

I would love to see what happycow has to say about your post when you report us. Post that I think that you posted just to get a laugh. The name for people who post stupid stuff just to get a laugh are trolls. What do you honestly think happycow is going to do to me or anyone else here when you report us? I know happycow won't do anything to me or anyone else here because we didn't do anything wrong. I don't know how happycow will respond to you when they see post you have made when you report us. Maybe they won't even do anything. Trolls seem to be everywhere on the internet and one of them ended up on happycow. I want to see how happycow deals with trolls.

Many people on happycow are atheist including me and when you post anything religious and claim it as fact we will debunk you. When you attack us we will definitely respond. This is a vegan dominated form not a christian from. It is not inappropriate to express atheist views. If you have the right to express your beliefs on god we have the right to express our atheist views. If your going to bring up god we have the right to express our views on god too. You do not have the right to censor us.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 04/06/14 11:35:10

savetheanimals-

Well said.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Happy wild horse at 04/06/14 16:23:12

Well you will be glad to now that I have just reported you.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Kayales_XC17 at 05/09/15 01:11:21

To summarize: everyone has a right to express their own opinions and their own beliefs. Not every person on this forum - or anywhere else for that matter - will possess those same opinions and beliefs, but that is okay.

The point of most discussion is agreement and disagreement, argument and counter-argument, so that everyone is exposed to new perspectives that they may not like and challenged to re-think their preexisting views of the world. The result? Growth.

And growth is good. Growth is the reason we are all here. We have each transcended the carnist, cruel diet. We have each experienced and are still experiencing growth, each day.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Veggie Dave at 06/01/15 02:41:06

If he was veg*n, why did he multiply a few fish into many basketfulls to feed the masses? Seems like he would have fed them fruits or vegetables if he was truly veg*n. Otherwise, he comes off as a hypocrite, don't 'cha think?

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 06/01/15 06:53:45

Anything someone believes about a person claimed to have lived 2,000 years ago, can be little more than conjecture and wishful thinking.

• Report Abuse

Posted by anahidscv at 06/05/15 12:18:52

He wash a fisherman....and ate fish.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ellie4animals4ever at 07/13/15 08:36:31

So what did he eat? I mean, they didn't exactly have Quorn and Tofu in those days

• Report Abuse

Posted by Star the magic vegan at 01/09/16 09:54:20

Of course Jesus was a vegan. Genesis 1:29 is the most important quote in the Torah and the Bible. This is the only rule given by God himself to all of creation. Jesus did not miss this rule, he practiced it. God explains that to be in the full presence of God, back in the garden before the fall, one was and must be vegan. If Jesus is to bring anyone to God, both he and that believer must be vegan.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 01/10/16 05:12:28

Star-

It also says that plants should be the food for all animals. Do you believe that too?

All animals cannot be vegan, any grade school Biology student knows that.

Cherry-picking "quotes" from the OT one can justify racism, rape, torture and genocide.

• Report Abuse

Posted by TalkinBoutPractice at 02/02/16 11:29:55

The bible destroys the true identity of Jesus. The bible makes Jesus into a mockery and it is the reason so many people do not even believe that such a man existed. Jesus was most likely a vegan if he were to attain true innocence and self-respect.

I also doubt Jesus would of got along with you as you are a brown-nosing wannabe christian but the only true christian is/was Jesus himself. He is not coming back to save you unless of course by being saved you mean being saved from yourself and your fantasies about a future holiday somewhere above Earth, but trust me you will get bored of heaven and will be back here in no time. Probably quite literally. Thanks. Born Alone Die Alone.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Star the magic vegan at 02/03/16 00:17:14

It is true there are multiple Jesus icons out there. There is the literal Biblical Jesus who fed everyone fish and bread at the Sermon of the Mount (Jesus the meat eater), there is the more true to form spiritually correct Jesus who was a vegan (Uncontaminated by Constantine's interpolation), there is the mythic Jesus who did not eat because he did not exist in reality but is a story character, there is the Jesus of India called Isa who was a lactarian vegetarian, there is kosher Jesus, there is Jesus of Mexico who ate tacos and burritos, there is Asian Jesus who ate noodles and Kim Chi, there is the thin Jesus who barely ate, there is the Jolly Jesus who ate until he got fat etc. etc.

I think it is time we all realize that the first step towards a spiritual life is to be vegan. However, being vegan is not enough. one must be moral, kind hearted and have a spiritual practice as well in order to be a truly spiritual being.

I think it is also good to have icons to help guide us in the right direction. Because there are no vegan gods yet, I suggest "Vegan Jesus" as the Jesus of choice. It is important to use the word vegan in front of his name. This way one can view the Sermon of the Mount as a bread and water affair alone. Also Vegan Jesus does not support a surrogate cannibalistic culture, rather the sharing of vegan food is the miracle of love. Also we can overcome any notion of a human sacrifice through Vegan Jesus and instead contemplate how Jesus threw out the money changers who dared to sell animals for sacrifice.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Thalassa4 at 03/20/16 00:17:16

In the book of Genesis EVERYONE was vegan. If you notice early stories in Genesis, even after the creation story, like Jacob and Esau, ate lentil stew. Consumption of flesh was only allowed after the Great Flood, and then with very strict rules...while wandering in the desert for 40 years with Moses, God fed Israelites Mana - a product that has been speculated to be several different things, from mushrooms, to a substance from certain trees, to an insect secretion - but nothing flesh or egg or milk derived. When the Israelites "murmured and complained" one of the things they wanted was quail, which God granted them, but their sustainence was intended to be the Mana.

Jews still have very strict food laws, some of the most humane among omnivores, and veganism is so common in Israel it's been called the new kosher, and vegan food is provided for the Israeli army.

In the book of Daniel, Daniel and his men ate for three years what is basically a whole foods plant based diet, and showed greater mental and physical health than the kings men. This led to the modern day Daniel Fast, and impressed one of the founders of the 7th Day Adventist Church as God's ideal diet for human health.

In the New Testament, Paul does say in Romans that if eating meat causes his brother to stumble, he will never eat meat again.

In the book of Isaiah, the future paradise described sounds completely bloodless, and vegetarian. That's how the lion will lie down with the lamb.

There's a lot of defense for Christian vegetarianism, much more than for against, but I cannot agree that Jesus was a vegetarian. I'm pretty sure he was pescetarian, though the last supper, thankfully, was bread and wine.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Thalassa4 at 03/20/16 00:25:52

@star the magic vegan

I really enjoy your posts. I do think it is plausible Constantine corrupted the story of Jesus to make Him consume flesh, since Constantine corrupted so many other things. ..that's a matter I'd like to see more documentation about, though.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Thalassa4 at 03/20/16 01:13:42

@ellie4animals4ever

Perhaps you're a teenager, because I have a difficult time believing that you could even be serious - there were beans, lentils, grains, fruits, vegetables, oils and spices/herbs. This is what vegans eat when they are totally whole foods. Tofu has been around for over 2000 years, in Asia, also.

The B12 question is answered by dirt and manure, something we no longer benefit from since we have farmed our soil so irresponsibly and are so sanitized now, that B12 is no longer available to humans as it was a very long time ago with strict vegetarian diets.

Or they could be lacto-veg.

@ahimsa32fa

I mostly avoid you because you are so hostile, but if you didn't take the Bible so literally it may occur to you that before the Great Flood, we actually lived in one of the different eras of life on earth that scientists have speculated, so that no life was carnivorous AT THAT TIME...it's common knowledge in the Roman Catholic Church that animals and all of Creation groan under The Fallen State, which is what explains animal violence, though we, not animals, are responsible while they merely act upon what you might call the natural vibration of the Earth plane. So this may be one of the phases of "evolution" speculated upon.

Also your comments about veal are utterly ridiculous if Happy Wild Horse lives in India where, no, cows are not turned into veal and they are considered sacred yet provide milk. Reasonably speaking, someone on a small farm could live that way in other parts of the world. People certainly have a cow or goats for milk only.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Star the magic vegan at 03/20/16 22:13:14

Thalassa4-

I appreciate your fresh, polite and inquisitive nature. I also enjoy your posts.

As far as meat eating in Christian history is concerned, there have been many turning points in that history where things certainly turned the wrong direction. Constantine was but one. It is well known in history departments at UCLA, espoused by among others by I think his name was Eugene Weber, and UC Berkeley where I attended many lectures that Constantine wrote into the Bible his empire's trades as well as taxation and due respect for the King and his edicts. This is why trades like carpentry, fishing and frankincense industries are emphasized along with wine and meat consumption.

This wrong view then increased under King James I and II with the introduction of ideas like 'Lamb of God' to support the British industries of wool, wool clothing and lamb meat production. The British emphasized the idea of Jesus as a 'Pascal Lamb' to encourage inhumane treatment of this singular species.

As a side note, then when the first Christians arrived in the Lakota lands and misnamed the people the derogatory term of Sioux Indians, they preached to them that Jesus was the 'Lamb of God." The native people did not know what a lamb was because it was a native of Europe and the Middle East but not of early North America. The missionaries said it was half way between an elk and a dog. To this day the liturgy of that region calls Jesus the 'Dog Elk' of God.

This problem of the Bible's emphasis of about five species of animals that are present around the nativity manger and permitted to be eaten in kosher laws through the husbandry mandates translated by Constantine and James I and II, is one of today's sources of global warming. Rain forests and their native species of monkey, sloths, pumas, tigers, apes etc. are not mentioned in the Bible. It is too easy for Catholic South American nations, Muslim and Christian African Nations and Western Multinationals in Asia to burn the rain forests to raise chickens, cows, lambs and the like because of religious heritage diets based on subjectively translated scriptures and one sided theologies with their resulting cultures.

I do not think Jesus had in mind the destruction of the rain forests, the desertification of the oceans (disciples were fishermen) and the extinction of millions of species to be a criteria of Christian social progress.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Star the magic vegan at 03/21/16 08:22:32

Thalassa4-

Oops, upon reflection, this information is found both in the departments of history and sociology.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Star the magic vegan at 03/21/16 17:31:11

Thalassa4-

One more thing...

I was with friends for lunch at a chic vegan cafe and this topic arose with no reference to our posts. I said something that is an important addition:

There are two specific passages in the Gospels of which I do not approve. There is the story of Jesus exorcising a man and sending the demons into a herd of pigs. The swines then jumped off a cliff to commit suicide. This story is animal cruelty, and even today factory farming, pet ownership, zoos, circuses and animal experimentation drives helpless animals insane and suicidal.

The other story is more famous about the 'Sermon on the Mount.' Here Jesus allegedly served endless portions of fish and bread at his social event. This story is not vegan.

I would think Jesus of all people who ran the money changers out of the temple because they were animal sacrificing and who wept for the martyrs and saints who were in many instances sacrificed animals, outside the East Gate of Jerusalem would live up to Genesis 1:29. This passage in Genesis is God's only singular commandment to all of creation.

Constantine and James I and II, the Vulgate and other mistranslations obviously got the story wrong. Perhaps he offered bread and water at the Sermon on the Mount, and the demons may have scurried away like pigs down a cliff but I doubt Jesus is going to kill animals even if it makes the kosher Pharisees happy.

• Report Abuse

Posted by TalkinBoutPractice at 03/23/16 20:33:58

Jesus also thought the earth was flat but this doesn`t mean he was not enlightened. As Osho would say he was very very ordinary, extra ordinary! Knowledge of self is the only thing that matters so maybe Jesus ate fish for awhile and then realized it was unnecessary, it`s possible Jesus made a few mistakes and didn`t know everything. He was illiterate. He was human after all. It`s not really important actually. I guarantee he didn`t want people to model themselves after him he just wanted people to realize their own bliss. I am sure if he knew that people would establish a religion after him he would have done things differently, but that is the nature of an enlighted being and once he dies people say whatever they want about him. I think mostly everything ever said about who he was is not only wrong,not only impossible but not even necessary.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Ed1963 at 06/01/16 17:17:02

Disclaimer** not a christian ( Karaite Jew) , but Christian is just as valid a belief as Buddha ,etc. I never see people who badmouth western religions say Buddha was just a fictional character and no proof exist,,blah ,blah. Peoples Religion is the religion they picked. this is a veggie site. No idea where the above said Jesus thought the earth was flat,, was that in Mathew??
    TELL YOU WHAT WAS IN MATHEW 5:17 Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.

Gen 1:29 "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.
    Later he gave permission to eat meat (after he put dread and fear in animals of man) .
    so it wouldn't be far fetched to believe Jesus was a Veggie. If you want to believe that fine.. FYI for all the holier than "western" Buddhist who think Buddhist are vegetarian, incorrect, Many Buddhist eat meat, (Nepal as an example).
    Religion is a belief ( there is no proof of any religion)
    Animal Cruelty is a FACT.
    Raising so much beef and chickens is cost prohibitive to the earth is a fact.
    Perhaps that why there is no first church of PETA

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now