Community: Forum: Wisdom & Spirituality

Wisdom Forum

(Re the rape of Mother Earth) "How could I look my grandchildren in the eye and say I knew about this and did nothing?" - Sir David Attenborough

"Earth provides enough for every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Mahatma Gandhi

'We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children' - Native American proverb

"Our house is on fire and we are blind to it. Nature mutilated and overexploited can no longer regenerate and we refuse to admit it. The earth and humankind are in danger and we are all responsible. It is time to open our eyes. Alarms are sounding across all the continents." - Jacques Chirac

"Babylon is burning. Can you not see the black smoke billowing?" - H. Lancre

Responses (9)

• Report Abuse

Posted by kindlizard at 12/13/08 12:10:52

Keep the children form the left lane, they know not of the danger that lurks.

Be a shepherd to the old, keep them in the right lane.

If not for passing, stay right, and pass only in thy left lane, for the left lane is strictly just for passin'.

If you think it is just and righteous to go slow in the left, think again and heed the call of the right lane, which you never have to pass or exceed your sacred speed limits!!

Let us all take a moment to meditate on the virtue of passin in the left. While you do so, stay right, or better yet, get into the shoulder. Amen.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Olga at 12/16/08 11:02:03

It's amazing how more and more people begin to realize the "Emergency on Planet Earth" and are drawn to Nature and Earth.

I am helping in organizing an eco-village in Ontario and also on developing an on-line periodical Green Garden Earth Almanac (www.greengardenearth.com), and thus counteract with many people who area aware of the situation and are working on resolving it. And I see a great shift that is happening right now in our attitude towards our planet: the shift from Consumer Mentality to the one of a loving child, who wishes to protect, preserve and take care of Nature.

And I hope that this shift in our society will help us undo all the damage we cause to our planet and will help us create the Green Garden on Earth.Let us share our positive experience to inspire future improvements and changes!

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 12/16/08 18:03:09

Knight of Albion - great quotes! - I smiled when I remembered Spike Milligan (veggy)spoofing Richard Attenborough.

The Spike auction a few days ago - http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE4AP3CL20081126
    Olga - nice work - little Nadin's artwork is fun!

Eco-village - please keep us updated.

Do you know about the Dervaes family in Pasadena ? - see this thread - http://www.happycow.net/forum/vegetarian/view_topic.php?id=225

I am working on a list of similar projects in Hong Kong - where organic veggies are regularly available to buy - I will link it to the HappyCow pages for Hong Kong.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Chia at 02/26/09 22:27:20

Knightofalbion - Your quotes remind me of a similar saying by the Native Americans, as follow:

"The Earth does not belong to us. We belong to the Earth."

Report Abuse

Posted by VeganBeth at 04/08/09 08:00:04

I love the quotes, I often look up quotes and have a quote of the day.

I am trying to educate others about being more earth friendly. People are going Green faster than becoming vegans. To bred billions of animals a year for human consumption is so bad for the planet, here is a good opportunity for us to share info with our tree hugging friends.

• Report Abuse

Posted by shearwater at 09/12/09 17:05:16

Speaking of treehugging friends and good quotes - one of my favorite quotes I overheard while sitting on a mountaintop hawkwatch. A boy was complaining about the flies. The man with him dismissed his concerns saying "It's their earth too."

The slogan "You Can't Be A Meat-Eating Environmentalist" isn't just about the damage meat does to our planet. It's also about attitudes. Our treehugging friends who eat meat may care about the environment, but often it's for selfish reasons like clean air and water for humans or forests for hiking or birds for watching.

Human-centric attitudes are what got us into this environmental mess. An "It's Their Earth Too" attitude is needed to help get us out of it. That means a respect for all animals - whales, birds, frogs, pigs, cows, and even flies.

• Report Abuse

Posted by chlorophyll at 10/17/09 13:29:13

We are in the midst of what is being called the holocene extinction. Species are going extinct at a rate 100-1000 times the expected rate, due to human pressures. Climate change will likely increase this rate.

• Report Abuse

Posted by DizziNY at 04/20/11 15:33:04

Global Warming is a lie.

• Report Abuse

Posted by shearwater at 04/21/11 03:48:42

Global warming deniers, birthers, flat-earthers, Obama is the Anti-Christ zealots, Easter bunny believers....... Amazing how some people don't let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy.