Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I've been vegetarian for about 6 months. In that time I've lost over fifty pounds. I also started running a couple of months ago. My question is this, what are some good, high protein sources (vegan or ovo-lacto) that aren't loaded with calories. I still have some weight to lose so I don't want to rely on cheese and other fatty foods. I currently get around 50 grams of protein per day, but from what I've read in Runners World I should be getting much more in order to help with muscle repair. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Responses (44)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/09/08 12:21:48

Yoshi -

Here are some vegetarian and vegan protein sources, as requested: mock meats, soy milk, nut milks, tofu, soy cheese, low fat milk, yogurt and cheese, nuts and soy nuts, nut butters, eggs and egg whites

If you give me your height, weight, and what you do for activity I can estimate your protein needs for you. Magazines often overestimate so I want to make sure you're in a good range.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Yoshi at 01/09/08 18:08:38

Hi Tatiana,
    I'm 5'11" and currently 206 lbs. Like I said, I am very active now so I would assume that would require some additional protein. Just out of curiousity, how are you calculating the requried protein amount? Thanks for your help.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/09/08 18:38:38

Yoshi, based on your current weight you probably need around 75-95 grams of protein/day. This is based on a calculation of approx 0.8-1 gram per kilogram of body weight, which is what most people need. Right now, for your size, 50 grams is probably a little low. All you really need to perform well as an athlete is adequate protein, not extra. The reason I cautioned you is many health food stores, magazines, etc, will tell you you need much more protein than you actually need. Getting more protein than you need does not make your muscles grow faster. Also, exercising does not produce enough muscle damage to require an increased amount of protein. People who require increased protein are people whose bodies are really in need of repair due to wounds (like from car accident, etc), cancer, burns, etc. Even basic surgery patients or patients with a broken bone have very little, if any, increased protein requirements. The only time I'd say you'd need more protein would be if you were training for a competition, doing endurance athletics, or some serious body-building. For regular physical activity there is no pressing need.

I hope that helps! ^_^

• Report Abuse

Posted by kindlizard at 01/10/08 21:28:36

be careful how much protein you intake from dairy, it is a myth of how healthy it is. I have heard that it will strip calcium from your bones.

Try beans, nuts, and seeds. Also, I see you like Singapore. They have the faux meats that are also high in protein. Soy is a good source for it too. When eating beans, eat rice with it to complete the protein. That is very basic advice. If you get Simply Vegan or some other basic veggie book it will give a pretty good idea of how to get protein as a vegan.

I know folks who try to lose weight w/o giving up dairy and it is hard for them. I say this not only as an advocate for animals, but also to say dairy also has hormones and and can be very fatty. As long as you stay active though, your weight should come down, esp if you cut out the dairy!!!

Btw, I am trying to sell a soymilk maker and you are in the area, if you do cut out the dairy.... (i'm mostly kidding)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/11/08 00:10:15

Milk does not strip calcium from you bones,that is a myth. I however do agree that milk products can definitely be high fat with lots of extra calories plus yeah, the hormones and all the other yuck things that get in the milk from how they treat those poor cows! I think one thing you need to look at Yoshi, it what works for you. Yes, vegan sources are going to have no cholesterol or rarely have saturated fat so that is better, but if you want to be an ovolacto vegetarian that is up to you. Still a great improvement on eating meat!

• Report Abuse

Posted by kindlizard at 01/14/08 12:21:26

I suppose its whose propaganda you believe: the Dairy board's or NDs. ARe you an ND? No, ok, you finished a 6 month course to get your title. NDs are 3-4 years of study. I believe them more than your 6 month certificate.

When animal proteins are taken disproportionately, it will strip calcium from your body (bones). Why else do major dairy consumers have worse bones than others? Yet you still buy that it helps provide calcium for the bones. While it contains calcium, the body does not assimilate it at all.

If Yoshi is trying to lose weight you should not suggest dairy, that is not a weight loss friend. Try rice milk instead or almond milk. Protein will be plentiful as it is, you need not worry about your intake, I'd bet.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/14/08 14:30:47

kindlizard: I'm a Registered Dietitian. I'm the real deal, none of that 6 month fake crap. Please don't assume, haha. In order to become a RD you need your bachelor's from an accredited program plus an accredited internship and you must pass a licensing exam. Here's more info:

I don't know where you thought I had some 6 month fake certificate. I know what you are talking about, those things are scary, make people think they are talking with an expert when they aren't.

Yes, eating too much animal proteins can be very taxing on the sytem, you are correct. I just am looking at the fact that Yoshi is currently using dairy and wanted to give him advice within that bracket. I think it is great he is making changes and has lost 50 lbs, that is incredible! I just know that forcing people into eating a certain type of diet doesn't work well. I don't want Yoshi to think that he is doing wrong. He may not be vegan but he has made many great positive changes in the right direction and I believe is already making a great difference.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Yoshi at 01/14/08 15:11:37

You tell 'em Tatiana. I don't really consume much dairy anyway, with the exception of egg-whites. Tatiana, now that I know you're a dietitian, could you tell me what my calorie intake should be to continue losing weight? I'm currently 206. I've been pretty much the same weight for the past few weeks, but I think that had a lot to do with the holidays. Thanks.
    PS - Thanks for the kind words in your last post.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/14/08 15:19:57

Sure...wait I just realized I was assuming you are male. Are you male or female and what is your age?

And thanks, by the way. ^_^

kindlizard - I also don't want you to think I'm trying to discredit you or say anything bad about you in any way. I just try to be as scientifically accurate as I can in helping people and making sure the best info gets out there. I think that you provided lots of great advice as well and yes of course, if I were to tell someone the best thing it would be to be vegan. I just know that working with patients on a daily basis that people respond much better to help if you work within their diets. I have, as you can imagine, mostly omnivores as patients, and if someone is eating red meat 5 times a week, if I can get them to reduce that to 2 days a week we are getting improvement. If I tell them they need to be vegan they are gonna think I'm crazy and never come back.

I just want us all to be friends here :oP

• Report Abuse

Posted by Yoshi at 01/14/08 15:54:13

Wow, that was quick. I'm a 31 year old male. About 5'10", don't know if that matters, but I figured it doesn't hurt. By the way, how did things work out for your dog? My wife and I have two mutts, Yoshi and Bowser. They were pretty much the nail in the coffin of my meat eating career. Thanks again.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/14/08 15:58:39

My dog is still fighting. Since it's an immune disease it is really hard to treat. We are still doing immunosuppressant medications and hoping she will get better, thanks for your thoughts.

Okay so your weight loss needs. Based on an activity level of "light" your weight loss needs are estimated at around 2000 calories a day. If you exercise a lot you may want to add a couple hundred to that. Also some people who have lost weight find they may need a bit less so it depends on how you respond but 2000 is an estimate. That is based to give approximately 1 lb per week weight loss. ^_^

• Report Abuse

Posted by SoccerMom at 01/15/08 11:38:39

Thanks for the info :-)
    My son just started working out & I also was concerned about him getting enough protein. He does eat meat but is VERY active & has started working out in a gym.
    He is 13 years old, 5'10" and 120 lbs.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/15/08 12:03:52

He would need about 55-65 grams/day. The lower end is just based on his weight and age for proper growth, the upper end is to accomodate increased activity. He also needs about 3000 calories a day. Once he hits 14 the needs go down a bit but may still be this high or higher based on his weight. I would suggest since he is a child if you want more complete info to go to see a registered dietitian or your pediatrician to ensure he is getting proper nutrition. Just as a disclaimer this info I'm providing is not meant to be a replacement for seeing a medical provider 1 on 1.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/15/08 15:13:32

Just as a note to Yoshi as well (well heck, anyone I give any nutrition advice to on here), this is just advice and should not be taken in place of actually seeing your medical doctor or dietitian 1 on 1. This is just a forum so I'm just giving my 2 cents, never take it in place of a medical visit.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Aardy at 01/17/08 00:08:06

I am not a nutritionist by any means but am learning a lot of things on here. Thanks to all of you! I know from personal experience that you can be as vegetarian as you like but it is difficult to lose weight if dairy products are used; even low fat or fat-free ones. I'm wondering if there isn't something else in the dairy products besides the animal fat that makes them a bad choice for weight loss.

• Report Abuse

Posted by dirtandskirts at 01/17/08 15:51:00

aardy: I haven't read all of Campbell's "The China Study," but from perusing it a bit in bookstores, I know that one of the issues they've found (in the long-running Nurses' Health Study [I think]) is that the protein is much more of a problem than the fat in animal products. People can reduce the amount of fat in their diets by using low- or no-fat animal products, but if those animal products are cut out -- fat and all -- and replaced with plant foods, that's what really made a difference.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 01/17/08 21:57:45

If I locked one of your close friends up in a filthy room, made her stand & sleep in her own [censored], fed her with a chemical sludge & also tortured her in many other ways for days / weeks / years - and also killed her brothers & her mother you would have something to say about it - I hope ! !

Oops - almost forgot to mention that I will also be continuously raping her - taking each baby from her as it is born & taking her breastmilk.

Guys - why recommend low fat milk - youghurt - cheeses - egg whites at all ?

Even on the "organic" / "free range" etc. farms animals have to be murdered / killed in order to achieve "affordable" selling prices for the animal juices / birds eggs.

Plus - purely selfishly - animal casein is a highly dangerous substance - so why recommend anyone to drink even one single extra glass of milk ? - it just ain't respectful !

If you have an alcoholic friend you would not recommend him / her to drink "only wine & beers".

My suggestion - a much simpler & much safer solution -

Accept today that Ovo- & Lacto- are totally obsolete dietary options.

Commit to going through a few weeks of "cold turkey" - as you sweat & [censored] out the old residues.

Enjoy the rest of your natural life on a very colorful & very satisfying 100% plant based diet.
    aardy - there is casein & chemicals very similar to opiates in dairy - creating physical addiction - I listened to a great audio about this a few weeks ago - I will see whether I have saved the link to it.
    OK Liene - I am finished - you can call me a jerk & abuse me now !

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 01/17/08 23:04:51
    Dr Charles Parker
    Celiac Notes: Opiate Withdrawal from Gluten and Casein?
    Opiate withdrawal from discontinuing gluten and casein? Cautionary note: sounds absurd until you see it.
    You might want to warn gluten sensitive, celiac and casein sensitive patients about this odd and painful clinical phenomenon: Withdrawal after stopping wheat or milk products can be painful, exhausting, and depressing, with weakness, anger, and brain fog.
    I have a very interesting and refractory client in Ohio who has struggled for years with a variety of severe reactions to psych meds, suicidal depression, mercury toxicity, and became completely regressed on previous withdrawal of Prozac before I saw him in DC. With autoimmune issues in abundance and at times psychotic like feelings of loosing control we tested him for gluten/casein sensitivity, hit pay dirt with positive findings, and asked him to go on a gluten free/casein free diet [GFCF is the acronym].
    He felt remarkably better at first, better than he had in years, then the withdrawal set in. Having had previous experience with addictive opiates prescribed for pain, he recognized signs of withdrawal immediately. First a note on the opiate receptors from Great Plains Laboratory:
    The peptides from gluten [gliadorphin] and casein [casomorphin] are important because the react with opiate receptors in the brain, thus mimicking the effects of opiate drugs like heroin and morphine. These compounds have been shown to react with areas of the brain such as the temporal lobes, which are involved in speech and auditory integration.
    Children with autism frequently seem addicted to wheat and dairy products. Presumably, people with Autism and schizophrenia incompletely digest wheat and dairy products. These incompletely digested peptides are then absorbed into the body and bind to opiate receptors, altering behavior and other physiological reactions. .

And one more reference here:
    Below is from the book "Dangerous Grains" by Ron Hoggan

The addictive nature of gluten is often overlooked. For some, the first days and weeks of following a gluten-free diet are characterized by food cravings, disorientation, irritability, sleepiness, depression, mental fogginess, fatigue, and/or shortness of breath.

If you are a member of this group, the very fact that you are experiencing many of these symptoms should reinforce the need to exclude gluten from your diet. These are common symptoms of withdrawal of detoxification from gluten-derived opioid and brain neurochemical imbalances. The evidence suggests that about 70 percent of celiac patients will experience these symptoms when beginning a strict gluten-free diet.
    See other withdrawal comments at Celiac Forums and the Gluten Free Forum.
    The take-home appears simple: if these symptoms occur, do go more slowly on the GFCF diet, respect the withdrawal process and support other nutritional and physiologic activities.

Cheese DOES contain adicting substances!
    Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:53 pm by LuAnn

A lot of good suggestions have been made, and references given to resources that are very persuasive tools for disuading one to use cheese and other dairy. (For me, perhaps the statement by Robert Cohen that Dairy (read, cheese) is liquid meat!.) However, in addition to other points that have already been shared, there is another element that I don't believe has been brought up in this thread.
    Forgive me, I haven't learned yet how to use the "Quote" feature when posting, but calla said: "I realized that cheese is like a drug to me."
    For some, cheese truly CAN be experienced "like a drug", causing literal addiction! If possible, read what Dr. Barnard says in the chapter, "Opiates on a Cracker: The Cheese Seduction" in his book, Breaking the Food Seduction. I can't begin to cover it all here, but will try to touch on some of the high points.
    He reasons that cheese's attraction is not mainly due to taste or smell, but its opiates! Milk has been found to have traces of morphine and codeine. The protein, casein (mentioned in other comments), also present in milk, releases additional opiates when broken apart in digestion!
    BTW, CHEESE contains far more casein than is found in cows milk.
    In individuals sensitive to opiates, cheese can literally BE ADDICTING. My understanding is that these individuals may actually feel physiologically driven to seek one cheese "hit" after another, in order to experience the pleasurable sensations caused by the opiates.
    If this is the case, then in addition to viewing and listening all of the very persuasive materials listed above, some individuals may need to deal with cheese and other foods containing addictive properties (sugar, chocolate, and meat) using some of the same methods used in freeing a drug addict of his/her addiction. I am not a therapist, but here are a few suggestions gathered from my own study:
    *Acknowledge that you have a problem
    *Ask for help.
    *Look for support
    *Educate yourself as to the dangers of the addicting substance/food.
    *Consider the benefits of being free of the addicting substance/food
    *Make sure a healthy/fiber rich food program is in place to deal with normal cravings. (All of these are being done in Calla's case)!
    *Obtain adequate rest
    *Obtain adequate exercies
    *Reduce stress as much as possible
    *Clear the environment COMPLETELY of anything that might remind the you of an attraction to the addicting substance/food
    *Find alternate foods and/or activities that may fulfil similar physical or emotional needs
    *Seek a power higher than your own to help you conquer the addicting substance/food
    *Give the process TIME!
    *Avoid situations where you know the addicting substance/food will be present
    Kudos, Calla, for already doing several of these! If you are one of those sensitive to the opiates in cheese, I believe you're well on the road to recovery!

• Report Abuse

Posted by paragonx at 01/18/08 09:14:12

Johnnysensible - I love your Passion!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/18/08 13:17:01

ah, yes I've heard about the GFCF stuff, there's some really interesting info coming out about that! I work a lot with gluten free diets but I haven't looked much into the casein side. I will check it out! The autism thing is really interesting, too. Many practitioners are now using nutrition therapy to help these patients. Gotta add this to my list of stuff to read up on.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 01/18/08 22:36:30

For my busy friend - dirtandskirts
    T. Colin Campbell's "The China Study," is just incredible - if you ain't got time to read the book then listen to this interview - - here Dr. Campbell is chatting with our HappyCow member Tina Volpe -

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 01/19/08 00:48:53

This is a very interesting article on "Dietary Protein & Bone Health: New Perspectives" - however it comes from the National Dairy Council so it is certainly not written in a purely "neutral" way - - it is 8 pages long.

Excerpts -
    "Excess dietary protein, particularly purified proteins, increases urinary calcium excretion. This calcium loss could potentially cause negative calcium balance, leading to bone loss and osteoporosis. These effects have been attributed to an increased endogenous acid load created by the metabolism of protein, which requires neutralization by alkaline salts of calcium from bone."
    "Controversial findings regarding protein's role in bone health may be explained in large part by failure to consider the presence of other nutrients in the protein food source or total diet (10). For example, sources of animal proteins such as meat and milk contain phosphorus which is hypocalciuric (11,17,18). Likewise, potassium in milk and many plant-based protein foods such as legumes and grains is hypocalciuric, which can counteract protein's hypercalciuric effect (10,11)."
    "High protein intake may increase urinary calcium excretion, but whether or not calcium balance is adversely affected is uncertain due in large part to the presence of other dietary constituents. Dietary recommendations for bone health should therefore focus on the total diet, rather than on single nutrients."

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 01/19/08 00:51:51

An important reminder from Dr. John McDougal from March 2007 -

The Dairy Industry Remains Unaccountable

Because of their financial power and political connections, the people in the dairy industry can say whatever they want and no one can stop them. Questioning consumers, however, might ask themselves, "Why are humans the only animals that drink milk of another species, and continue to drink it after normal weaning-time?" And "Why would Nature (or our Creator) design us so that in order to get a necessary nutrient, calcium, we must risk our lives?

With a $206.5 million annual budget dedicated to confusing people and covering up the truth for the sake of profits, and with the current political climate, there is no hope of regulating the dairy industry—or more appropriately for such a hazardous substance, outlawing these cow products for human consumption.21 Fortunately, thinking people are freeing themselves and their families from sickness and obesity by learning that human nutritional needs are far removed from those of baby cows.

Taken from here -

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 01/19/08 00:59:08

After reading through all of this today I am going to "up" my non-starchy fruit consumption somewhat - even though doing this always turns me into more of an "airhead".
    Perhaps as a side effect I will become even more sensible / even nicer - it may help me in my new resolve to stop calling idiots, "idiot".
    Webmaster Eric is a very nice individual.

• Report Abuse

Posted by dirtandskirts at 01/19/08 02:54:54

Oh, dear johnnysensible, having been raised with my mother's influence, I am more likely to say you are behaving in a jerky way rather than calling you a jerk. (Man I love this topic-watching thing!) Which, of course, is what I think, but that's not news. :)

The opiate-y effects of dairy *are* news to me, though, which I can't often say for anti-animal product research at this point. Delightful in an unsettling way. And I'll see if I can't put that Campbell lecture in my queue; there's a severe backlog (well, a few hours' worth) of VF Radio shows at the moment, and those are just too fun.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 01/20/08 06:41:59

• Report Abuse

Posted by brandonak81 at 01/21/08 11:08:18

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 01/21/08 13:23:07

Thank you for that "shot" of pure sanity - just what I needed to read tonight.

"Skinny Bitch" is a wonderful book.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/21/08 16:07:43

This was an interesting powerpoint about benefits of vegetarian proteins for athletes (disregard the hockey powerpoint at the end, lol)

Report Abuse

Posted by adbuster at 01/21/08 20:16:00

i'd add one thing to that if you're hungover you increase the amount of protein intake. Sometimes limiting the amount of other nutrients.

• Report Abuse

Posted by rawmary at 02/15/08 10:48:18

Wow this is great - thanks tatiana! :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by rena at 02/25/08 22:04:48

This is for you Tatiana; Just discovered this website looking for info on protein intake while working out. How much protein do I need. I am 62, female, vegan, 5'7", 140 lbs and starting a fitness program with some weight lifting to increase my strength.

Thank you.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 03/07/08 12:43:38

rena - Your protein needs have likely not gone up too much. Unless you are bodybuilding the need for protein does not go up much. Unless you have other health concerns (and if you do I'd highly suggest seeing your MD and dietitian for more personalized plan), a healthy adult needs around 0.8-1 gm/kg of body weight of protein per day. If you workout very heavy you may want to bump this up. As always, I suggest seeing a dietitian for a plan best suited to you. ^_^

• Report Abuse

Posted by gr8vegan at 03/08/08 15:34:59

FYI, Protein = Amino Acids = Acids = Dissolve your bones because your body uses Calcium from them to neutralize the acid load from protein.

Breast Milk is 5% Protein so if you can't learn from that I also suggest \"The China Study\" T.Colin Campbell and a trip to the McDougall Clinic.

PS Isolated Soy Protein is CANCER FUEL ***VEROOOOOMMMMMM***

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 03/10/08 07:13:48

"Breast Milk is 5% Protein"

gr8vegan - going on your statement above - are you suggesting that a healthy diet should contain 5% protein?

Of the 20 standard proteinogenic amino acids, 8 are called essential amino acids because the human body cannot synthesize them from other compounds at the level needed for normal growth, so they must be obtained from food.However, the situation is a little more complicated since cysteine, tyrosine, histidine and arginine are semiessential amino acids in children, because the metabolic pathways that synthesize these amino acids are not fully developed.The amounts required also depend on the age and health of the individual, so it is hard to make general statements about the dietary requirement for some amino acids.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 03/10/08 12:11:17

Here is a good resource outlining protein needs and how to meet them for vegans:

Report Abuse

Posted by Waatty at 05/12/08 11:20:10

Okay, I am a pseudo vegetarian. More accurately, I guess I am an experimenting omni-vore. I battle with weight gain, and after doing some research, I am concerned that the numbers just don't pencil out regarding protein intake for vegetarians. It seems that it is nearly impossible to eat enough vegetarian source protein (raw almonds for example) and still eat a diet of an acceptable calorie count. I realize that raw nuts are not the only source of protein for veggies, but let's pretend for a minute that they are. If roughly 22 almonds has about 6 grams of protein, it would take between 200 and 300 almonds to get in the neighborhood of 60-90 grams of protein; an "acceptable" amount of protein for someone eating about 2000 calories per day. That is in the neighborhood of 1800 calories per day to obtain a daily allowance of protein. I realize this is an over-simplification of the issue, but is it possible to get enough protein as a veggie and limit calories to stay fit? Please help!!! As stated, I understand there are other sources of protein, but through my research I have also discovered that some sources that are popular with vegans and other veggies, such as tofu (as opposed to raw soy beans), are very difficult for humans to digest/process. Again, please help!!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 05/12/08 12:52:50

waatty - I highly recommend the link I posted in the post above yours to see how you can get lots of protein in a vegetarian diet. Some other excellent sources of protein are beans/lentils, tofu, and seitan, just to name a few. Veggie proteins are NOT hard to digest (unless you possibly had some special medical conditions, but otherwise they are great for the vast majority of people), so I'm not sure where you'd have gotten that information. Nuts are a great source of protein but are also very high in fat, so to rely on them for all of your protein would most definitely shoot your calorie intake too high. Just try to incorporate other low fat veg proteins and you should be able to get enough protein on a lower calorie diet just fine.

Report Abuse

Posted by Waatty at 05/12/08 14:13:53

Hi Tatiana, thanks for your response. I'm new to all of this and I can use all the help I can get.

I know that edamame is healthy, but I guess I've heard that processed soy products, like tofu and soy based fake-meats are not very healthy. Isn't soy extremely mucus causing? And, I've heard similar health concerns about Seitan/gluten based products. What do you think?

Also, I've been reading a bunch about food combinations. The literature states that combining proteins (meats/dairy) and starches (rice, etc.) is not good. It also states that combining nuts and starches will have a negative effect. Does this hold true for tofu as a protein combined with say brown rice? Or is it okay to combine those?

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Report Abuse

Posted by Waatty at 05/12/08 14:20:27

Btw, I did take a look at that link. Thanks. However, the food combinations that were in the sample menus seemed a bit troubling to me; such as nut butters (or legume butter-peanut butter) with a starch (bread) and nuts (almonds) with a starch (rice and/or potato). Additionally, I saw zero mention of fresh fruits or juices in those menus. My understanding is that raw fruits/veggies/juices have considerable health benefits, both via nutrients and living enzymes. Again, thanks for your thoughts.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 05/12/08 16:16:59

waatty -

Okay, here goes, let's try to answer these questions!

1. About soy products: I think the biggest thing is not to overdo it, meaning don't rely on soy for everything. The biggest area of potential concern seems to be in using all those soy isolates (which does not include tofu, etc). Check out the thread regarding soy here:

I also have not heard of soy causing mucus issues.

2. Seitan/gluten should be fine as well. I just wouldn't rely solely on mock meats for your protein (because it's good to get a variety of foods), but there's no need to avoid it unless you are allergic to it or have any sensitivities or intolerances (or any of the ingredients in the foods, obviously).

3. The food combo thing? Far as I'm concerned, there is no good evidence to prove any of those claims are true. In fact, a great way to get a complete protein is to eat beans and rice together, which is a protein and a starch. So this goes for that link I showed you, there is no problem combining these foods together.

4. That link is designed to show how you can get enough protein in your diet, so foods like fruits/veggies are not on there simply because they are lower in protein. They would absolutely be part of a balanced diet, they were only removed from those listing to make the protein foods evident to show how you can get enough protein. So each of those meals would have your fruits and veggies added.

Hope that helps!

• Report Abuse

Posted by katjames at 05/12/08 18:22:16

This is in reply to Yoshi's original query, about protein sources. Tatiana, your comments would be welcome as well.

I think I read through everyone's posts, but if I'm duplicating something that has already been said, my apologies :)

I include in my (gluten-free, dairy-free) diet many of the protein sources listed above. One of my favorites is tempeh, for its versatility, high protein content, and unique flavor.

Another product I have had success with is a brown rice-based protein powder. One tablespoon has 12g of protein and can be mixed into all sorts of foods - (soy) yogurt, tomato sauce, baked goods, even water. I start my day with a scoop of protein powder mixed in yogurt or blended with 1/2 C. unsweetened soy milk, some ice chips, and a banana. (Every so often I scramble two egg whites, for variety, with about the same protein content.)

Even in small quantities, a meal with protein usually gives me a "full" feeling and provides an energy boost that can last several hours.

Feeling full helps curb your appetite, especially useful if you are overweight or trying to decrease unhealthy snacking.

I have also found that I typically need a little bit of fat - such as a tablespoon of olive oil, or one (cooked!) egg yolk with the scrambled whites - to keep from feeling hungry again before the next mealtime (I typically eat every 3-4 hours). I've read that avoiding all fat in the interest of losing weight is actually detrimental, so I don't obsessively avoid it.

Cutting out sources of refined sugar (sodas, sweets, refined flours) has also helped me drop unhealthy fat in the past, as well as maintain my energy level (fewer spikes and crashes).

I should note that I am not a body-builder or extreme athlete, although protein powders and eggs are often associated with these sorts of folks :) Just trying to be active and feel healthy.

• Report Abuse

Posted by sungoddess at 07/23/08 09:48:12

Hello everyone,I hope this message finds you well and prospering. Exuding love, health and happiness. I have been an integral part of Nick Stern's (co-founder) support team. And have personally taken Sunwarrior Protein since its inception. I absolutely love it! Tastes fantastic! Which we all know is unusual for typical brown rice protein. It's extremely easy to digest. I take it every morning after my workout. Currently on a 5 day a week training regimen. It helps with my cravings. And gives me sustained energy throughout my hectic work schedule (I mix it with one heaping tablespoon of the Barley). Not to mention my skin has never looked better. I'm glowing :)

Report Abuse

Posted by emilyplay at 08/13/08 16:32:32

This is just great information.

I have bookmarked this page to read through it carefully.

I feel much better already without milk in my diet for the last week.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support