Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi there!
I'm an extremely shy person, and struggle to become 100& vegan: My dad is a hunter, my mom loves eggs, my three best friends loves their hamburgers and steak and would never become vegan - they laugh at vegans and vegetarians...

My sister however is (luckily) like me - trying to decrease intake of animal products, but she's the only one.

And as a norwegian, there are almost NO vegan/vegetarian restuarants. And all traditions contains some sort of animal product or food.

And if that wasn't hard enough - fruits and vegetables is EXPENCIVE here in Norway...

Is there someone who has been vegan for a long time, with some tips or tricks for me?

Thank you!

Responses (6)

• Report Abuse

Posted by LaurenV at 12/04/15 04:35:26

Hi,
    First of all, if your 'friends' laugh at your food choices, maybe you need new friends.
    Responding to others can be difficult, but I've learned to turn the conversation around. If they question why I don't eat animal products, I tell them it seems to be working for me. It's funny that no one questions other carnivores about eating greasy, fatty, gross meat and dairy, but as soon as you change your habits, everyone gets upset. Most of the time, others feel 'threatened' by your choices.
    Here's an article you may enjoy reading: http://thevegantruth.blogspot.com/2012/02/response-to-typical-comments-vegans.html
    As far as eating plant-based being expensive, I can only speak for the part of the US where I live. Yes, organics are pricey, so I choose the important things to buy organic. Bulk beans and potatoes and rice are not expensive. Throw in a tomato and some seasonings and you've got a great meal! I hope this helps and I wish you all the best on your journey! Remember, its for your health, the animals and the environment.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 12/04/15 04:47:32

MM-

It's impossible to be a 100% vegan, whether by "vegan" you mean one's diet or their lifestyle.

You can't always trust labels (especially on food from the big food corps), and one cannot avoid accidentally killing small critters in everyday life.

Regarding friends and relatives, perhaps the best thing you can do is offer them a handout or two that describe the four basic reasons for adopting a vegan lifestyle. It's then up to them to make logical choices.

But remember what Gandhi said, "Teaching by example isn't the best way to teach it's the only way."

• Report Abuse

Posted by elenianton at 12/13/15 10:07:43

I fully understand your struggle. My sister and I turned vegan a little over a year ago, and everybody is giving us such a hard time. Being in Greece is even harder, because our tradition just like yours, not only includes but also praises consumption of animal products. What kept us motivated was that we had each other for support, so we made it. We prefer to get our fruits and veggies from local farmers in open markets, so it is always cheaper and reliable.

• Report Abuse

Posted by anahidscv at 12/15/15 16:21:23

To MajaMoixi, I wish you the best and don't give up. My husband and I have been vegan for four years now and to this day, there is always discussions that sometimes turns into arguments at family gatherings. Family members do not let go and it is frustrating. I have explained so many times my reasons behind it, but it is their ignorance that brings out arguments between myself and my family members. Be patient, and just do it for yourself, the animals and the environment. There is no one in the world would convince me to go back to eating meat, no matter how much my family retaliates with me.

• Report Abuse

Posted by anahidscv at 12/15/15 16:23:32

At elenianton, I am Armenian, so the food is similar. I have turned numerous Armenian dishes to vegan dishes when cooking. You can find countless dishes that will satisfy your hunger in the Greek diet. Good luck.

• Report Abuse

Posted by anahidscv at 12/15/15 16:24:34

To LaurenV, thank you for that link, it is filled with awesome facts.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support