HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I've been vegan for 6 weeks and am missing my cheese. Everything I've tried so far smells and tastes like sick - I am running out of faith and money!! Can anyone recommend anything? I live in UK.

Thanks, J.

Responses (13)

• Report Abuse

Posted by webmaster at 01/06/10 09:42:03

Hi Japananah,

Have you tried Sheese Cheese?

http://www.buteisland.com/

I think it's pretty amazing stuff and made in the UK.
    -Eric, webmaster

• Report Abuse

Posted by Japananah at 01/08/10 08:17:25

Thanks Eric. I have tried Sheese actually but went for "extra strong cheddar" which was perhaps a mistake! :o)

Can you recommend a particular variety?

• Report Abuse

Posted by animalsrule at 01/08/10 10:59:24

Nacho Cheeseless Sauce(vegan)

Includes: 12 ounce package of soft or silken tofu, 1/2 cup of bottled salsa, 1/4 teasoon salt, 1/4 tablespoon of turmeric, 1 cup nutritional yeast or add a little dijon mustard, 1/4 cup of water mixed with cornstarch, 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil.

Step #1: In a blender, puree tofu, salsa, salt, turmeric, and water-cornstarch mixture, and yeast or dijon mustard.

Step #2: Heat oil in skillet and make sure bottom of pan is coated. Pour tofu mixture and spread to cover pan. Cook tofu mixture on low heat for about 5 minutes, without stirring.

Step #3: Use a woden spoon or spatula to mix up the tofu, stirring to get a creamy consistency. Pour/scrape sauce into a bowl and serve with chips.

• Report Abuse

Posted by webmaster at 01/08/10 11:37:26

Hi Japananah, actually I'm not cheese connoisseur, so I'm the wrong person to ask. I've tried a bunch of Sheese's cheeses (try saying that 10x fast) at a convention and the few I tried all reminded me of the real thing, both texture, smell, and taste. I would try some of their other flavors since you can easily get them where you are. Good luck resolving (or overcoming) your cravings.

• Report Abuse

Posted by condekedar at 01/08/10 14:22:55

I've heard that Cheezly is supposed to be really good. It's made by Redwood Foods which is now owned by Heather Mills. It's readily available in the UK, but has yet to make a wide appearance in the US.

• Report Abuse

Posted by lyndie87 at 01/10/10 18:19:14

If you can get ahold of Daiya cheese (maybe have it shipped) it's the best I've had. The shredded cheddar & parm are amazing. After Daiya, I'm a big fan of Teese too.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ampallang at 01/20/10 12:42:54

Cheezly melts... so thats quite nice.. i have tried both and soyatoo..

Cheezly is better for cooked foods, shreese is good for crackers and sandwishes or salads.

Soyatoo is too tough as a cheese, but i still liked it.

Free & Easy Cheese Sauce Mix is good for mac and cheese, you can buy online @ veganstore.co.uk

I also found after trying a lot of different things I dont crave cheese much. nutritional yeast flakes can help with pasta. Vegan cheese is pretty environmentally bad.. using palm oil and destroying orangutans homes. if you search orangutans and palm oil you can see.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Ryman at 01/31/10 02:36:01

I haven't found a cheese I enjoy, but try using stuff you weren't fond of a sauce, for example, I use redwoods cheezy to make vegan cheese sauce for macaroni cheese

• Report Abuse

Posted by Jemima at 01/31/10 18:07:48

Cheezly is pretty good!

• Report Abuse

Posted by harrysandy at 02/25/10 07:46:36

Vegan Gourmet is pretty good--it melts under the broiler when I make pizza. I like the Monterey Jack kind for pizzas--better than the mozzarella I think.

• Report Abuse

Posted by kumarpramod5 at 02/27/10 04:23:15

Hi japananah, Cheese is one thing I do not like though I do like eating. Well COTTAGE CHEESE is one which will be available at Asian Stores and is both a kind of cheese and Vegetarian unless of course u don't want dairy.It may not may taste something like Feta Cheese minus the salt. The shelf life is short, so don't stock for long!!!! I think that is the idea of being a vegan. (Eat FRESH) Happy vegetarianism.

• Report Abuse

Posted by bumcheeks at 02/27/10 18:28:12

I found not eating cheese the hardest thing about going vegan..I wasn't keen on sheese..the best I have tasted so far is Cheezly..

• Report Abuse

Posted by fcp at 03/26/10 10:49:07

Vegan Gourmet / Follow Your Heart Mozzarella flavor is the best I've found so far. I like to shred the whole block when I open the pack; it melts better this way.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now