Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Does anyone know = has tried = if soaking Tofu in a salt bath for 15 minutes is equal to the heavy press? A salt bath really involves so less prep and stuff. I don't like the idea of using paper towel because I am cheap and the kind I buy is bleached, Dollar Store stock, while I am also lazy and don't want to use my dish towels because I want to save on laundry. But, if the salt bath will compromise my tofu, I'll do the laundry and the work. Oh, its firm, silken Tofu. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Responses (2)

• Report Abuse

Posted by JanBennicoff at 04/09/18 23:25:19

Hi Tawny: I don't usually press my silken tofu, even if it is extra firm. I'm assuming you mean the tofu in an aseptic carton? I don't use a lot of salt -little to none. I have found even the extra firm breaks up easily. Yes, I think it would compromise your tofu by making it very salty and soaking it I would think would add more moisture as well as salt. I have a tofu press that I use. I mostly buy the refrigerated tofu in sprouted, extra firm.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 04/11/18 20:49:54

Try Nasoya Extra Firm tofu. It's Non-GMO. Just drain it out of water in the container. I cut it into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes. Put a few tbsp olive or other vegetable oil in a pan and fry it for an hour on a stove top setting of 4 (depends on stove). Brown on all sides till chewy and crispy. Or slice into strips about 1/2 inch wide. Make an oil and spices mixture in a small bowl and pour or spoon on tofu slices. Try some sliced almonds on top. Bake in oven at 375 to 395 degrees for an hour to get texture and doneness you like. More delicious if you let it get crispy.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support