Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced tingling extemeties? I have been taking a vitamin B complex in liquid form, as I have heard that vegetarians can have a deficit in the B's...

My tingling is better when I take the B complex, yet am wondering if this really is due to vitamin B, and if so, is there anything else that I could do?

I had a blood test a few months ago (this has been going on a few years, have been a vegetarian for four years) and my blood test is perfect!

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in advance for your care,

Sandra

Responses (10)

• Report Abuse

Posted by kindlizard at 08/09/08 13:30:30

spicy foods, like cayenne should help circulate blood, as well as dark leafy greens like kale for iron. try some oj or something when you take in the iron, it will help assimilate it. also, get active, turn to the funk group page and dance around

• Report Abuse

Posted by HM at 08/09/08 20:04:39

um, I would also get it checked by a physician who could look at it and refer you to a neurologist if needed. Not to put fear into you or anything but it could be something more than diet. I'm not a doctor so will not offer what possible diagnosis there are unwarranted, but you should seek a doctor. Just to be safe.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tom at 08/14/08 06:46:28

Pasta is full of B vitamins, with the exception of B12, which is easily obtained from fortified soymilk, rice milk, breakfast cereals, and especially "Nutritional Yeast".
    If you can begin incorporating Nutritional Yeast into your diet, vitamin deficiencies are usually nonexistent. I know many, many vegetarians and vegans, none of which have had any sort of deficiency. Actually, my mother-in-law, a complete meat and dairy eater, is the one person I do know with a B12 deficiency.
    Another good idea is to incorporate flax oil into your regimen, if you don't already. Lots of important omegas in there, just regularly drizzle some on your toast, salads, in dips such as avocado, hummus, etc. Good stuff.

• Report Abuse

Posted by HM at 08/14/08 09:00:26

Nutritional yeast... put onto most of my entree's... I likely eat too much of it even.
    But, and I'm not a doctor pusher, but there are some things that can cause tingling that have nothing to do with vitamin deficiencies... If changing your diet doesn't help, get to the doctor immediately.
    hoping you have a good doc and insurance.

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 08/15/08 02:17:26

Does it happen more at certain times of the day and does it happen every day?
    Do you notice a pattern of when the tingling occurs?
    Is it your hands OR feet OR both?

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 08/15/08 08:43:21

Tingling can be a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency (and other B vitamin deficiencies as well). It could also otherwise be diet related, however, as HM said, it can also have nothing to do with diet. Tingling can be a sign of neurological damage and may be irreversible. I'd highly suggest going to see your physician asap to get it checked out (especially since you're already taking a B complex and are still having symptoms). *Any nutrition/medical information given is for informational purposes only and should never replace a visit with your healthcare provider*

• Report Abuse

Posted by HM at 08/15/08 10:11:52

Thanks Tatiana.
    Yes, there are other problems that tingling of parts of the body can be associated with and to my knowledge there are no medical professionals posting under this forum and even if so, to diagnose over the internet is not a possibility.
    it is such a wide range of possible conditions.
    here is a link for example...
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003206.htm
    I'm not one to encourage fear of any kind, so please don't jump the gun on this one.
    meow and good luck

• Report Abuse

Posted by gr8vegan at 08/15/08 17:11:27

HM, check out drmcdougall.com and the McDougall Diet. You might want to try a low fat diet change for 10 days and see how you do. =no oils, no cooking with oil, no food with added oils, etc.

• Report Abuse

Posted by HM at 08/16/08 03:11:11

I'm not on a high fat diet.
    I'm not the one with the problem of tingling toes, the original poster is. We are just trying to support them in looking for more than nutrition.
    unless you are implying something else. But I do think you are mistaking me for the one with the condition.
    My reason for supporting further research such as seeing her physician if the vitamin is not deficient is that a friend of mine had something similar, though much worse by the time she looked into it and it is a severe problem yet she is now doing better due to the treatment she is undergoing. The reason I don't say what is because it is too easy to (without even meaning to) think the worse when a diagnosis is mentioned over the internet or in a book.

• Report Abuse

Posted by HM at 08/16/08 03:23:11

oh yeah, but I do agree with the no oils thing as a trial.
    I don't cook with oils often but when I do I use olive oil, and a very little bit. Don't have any adverse effects from it though.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support