Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Anyone here read it?

I think it's fabulous and funny. For most of us here, it's probably stuff we've known all along. I've been a health advocate for a very long time and a vegetarian about 20s years before becoming vegan a month ago.

One thing the books really illustrates is what truly goes on in a slaughterhouse ... I couldn't even bring myself to read it.

I think if you share this stuff with non-vegans it will certainly make them think. I told a non-vegan loved one about this and he cried. He may not become vegan overnight, but I certainly brought this stuff to his attention.

The key is to share in a loving, non-judging way and people will listen.

I work at a local newspaper and a big issue in town is that last June they electrocuted a bunch of geese in the park. People in town are livid about the killings (it was done so fast no one had a choice to stop them!), yet you have those who hate the geese because of the poop and want them gone. I spoke to a man on the phone this morning who is against the geese. He wrote an anti-geese letter to the editor. He said he didn't want me to publish his address because he was afraid the PETA people would picket his house (we don't publish people's addresses anyway).

I gently told him that I am a vegan, but I believe in personal choices. THAT got his attention. I was actually respecting what he had to say.

Then I gently told him that there's a county meeting about having positive solutions for the geese without killing them.

First he softened and said, "I don't want to see the geese killed either. Then he said he'd attend the meeting!!! I think I got through to him!!!

Maybe someday this man who hates geese will become a vegan? Who knows ...

The point here is that as vegans, we can't just deal with other vegans. We have to go out in the world and share the news with non-vegans, not alienate ourselves ... BUT we have to do it in a way that's respectful. Otherwise people will be turned off and not listen to us.

The book that finally convinced me to be a vegan was "Animal Liberation" written in the 1970s. The author made some very strong points, yet didn't preach or talk down to the readers.

That is the way to go :)

If any one wants to share the news about other vegan books, organizations, communities, that aren't "preachy" and make veganism sound like a cult, I'd love to hear about it!

Responses (9)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Healthy at 10/02/07 11:33:40

I started to read "On the Road" but I was put off by a lot of the misogyny (the excessive male bonding and drinking, the cheating and bragging about it) ... it just wasn't me, so I got turned off to Kerouac :)

Shame, I'm a big fan of road trips myself ... although I'm always envisioning healthy/vegan diners :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 10/02/07 10:13:53

The books which convinced me were "On The Road" & "Dharma B*ums" by Jack Kerouac even though old Jack the Prophet(PBUH) never quite kicked the habit himself!

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 10/03/07 05:50:19

Hi "healthy" - I do agree with all of your points - Jack was working through some pretty heavy "stuff" in his short lifetime - his writing style though is something which I go back to taste / appreciate very regularly. As a toxic teenager undergoing mental torture in a small UK town in the 70's "On the Road" inspired me / gave me a kickstart towards conscious living.

Dharma Bum's excerpt - (From Chapter 9: Japhy Ryder and Ray Smith are camping out after a day of mountain climbing)

'Yeah man, you know to me a mountain is a Buddha. Think of the patience, hundreds of thousands of years just sitting there bein perfectly perfectly silent and like praying for all living creatures in that silence and just waiting for us to stop all our frettin and foolin.' Japhy got out the tea, Chinese tea, and sprinkled some in a tin pot, and had the fire going meanwhile, a small one to begin with, the sun was still on us, and stuck a long stick tight down under a few big rocks and made himself something to hang the teapot on and pretty soon the water was boiling and he poured it out steaming into the tin pot and we had cups of tea with our tin cups. I myself'd gotten the water from the stream, which was cold and pure like snow and the crystal-lidded eyes of heaven. Therefore, the tea was by far the most pure and thirstquenching tea I ever drank in all my life, it made you want to drink more and more, it actually quenched your thirst and of course it swam around hot in your belly.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 10/03/07 06:14:47

"non-culty" - have you spotted V G Burgers in Boulder? - http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=9524 - Tim Gargiulo is doing an excellent job at promoting vegan living - there is an audio here which you may like to listen to - http://www.globaltalkradio.com/shows/wakeupamerica/ - scrol down to August 27 / 07/

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tom at 10/05/07 22:39:20

>>The point here is that as vegans, we can't just deal with other vegans. We have to go out in the world and share the news with non-vegans, not alienate ourselves ... BUT we have to do it in a way that's respectful.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tom at 10/05/07 23:06:00

My above response got cut off for some reason, but anyway I completely agree with what you said Healthy. Another very important angle is that as many of us as possible need to be working in natural foods stores, as they are one of the main frontlines of the movement/evolution toward a more compassionate society. Countless people go there for information/guidance when they become interested in transitioning to the veg way of life. Unfortunately the meat/dairy forces know this and have infiltrated these stores with their pro-"humane/organic/natural" meat and anti-vegan/soy propaganda, and too many non-veg store employees are persuaded by this and then in turn influence customers.
    We need to be in there not only to help folks become veg, but to give them the support and guidance to stay veg permanently. I know retail wages leave a lot to be desired but if we can reduce our own personal overhead and work in these places at least part time it will have an immense positive impact. The store I work at now has 4 vegans, 2 vegetarians and 2 open-minded interested-in-veg employees out of about 16 total. That is a great percentage and there are always at least 2 of us there at all times to help folks with questions and guidance.

Report Abuse

Posted by Gorgeous at 12/06/07 07:35:06

sun-sentinel.com/features/food/sfl-fdskinnyboxbrdec06,0,7733682.story

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
    Skinny Duo Stirs Up A Companion Cookbook
    By Laura Kelly

December 6, 2007

Skinny Bitch in the Kitch is the first cookbook from authors Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, whose Skinny Bitch advice book has been a New York Times paperback best-seller since May. After telling us why we need to give up meat, dairy, refined carbs and "liquid Satan" (what they call soda), the pair have compiled more than 100 recipes that bring home their sassy but serious message: They say that eating vegan makes you healthier and happier in 30 days. And it also saves many animals — some of them cute and furry — from becoming dinner.

Skinny Bitch in the Kitch's recipes are separated into 12 mealtime headings, followed by a helpful glossary explaining many ingredients that I had never heard of, like agave nectar and liquid amino acids. They also start off the cookbook with a feisty refresher of their Skinny Bitch advice on meat, dairy and carbs. Freedman and Barnouin came up with all the recipes, which they were already preparing in their own kitchens, and then called in a cookbook consultant to help smooth over any rough spots and be sure those recipes work.

Bitchin' Breakfasts has 10 start-your-day dishes, including the Denver Bitchlette for Two.

PMS-Pleasing Snacks & Appetizers offers five decadent vegan recipes under the header, "If a group of scientists conducted a study saying PMS wasn't 'real,' we'd kill them all. Then we'd stuff our faces like sows. This is what we'd eat." (You'll even find a recipe for onion rings here.)

Grown-up Appetizers offers seven vegan class acts, including Garlicky White Bean Spread on Crostini.

Skinny Soups and Stews, includes "Chicken" Noodle Soup (Barnouin's a big soup fan), which starts off with the disclaimer, "Just like Mom used to make — minus the pieces of decomposing, rotting chicken carcass." (Remember, these gals are on a mission to turn us all vegan.)

Hearty-Ass Sandwiches includes the Reuben-esque and the advice: "The only thing better than pigging out on a big-ass sandwich? Getting seconds from off your own face. Moo!"

International Bitch and Italian Bitch put vegan accents on global goodies and Italian standards.

Other headings include Down Home Cookin', with nine favorites; Skinny Bitch Staple Meals, which has 14 dishes, including one of Freedman's faves, Green Goddess Pasta; Divine Dressings, Sauces and Substitutes; Skinny Salads and Happy Endings (Freedman's voice gets tremulous and moves into a falsetto when mentioning her love of the Chocolate Suicide Cake).

To put Skinny Bitch in the Kitch to the test, my husband and I threw a dinner party. All the attendees were meat eaters, and some (including my husband) were openly reluctant about a "vegan feast." By meal's end, the naysayers ate their words in addition to every morsel of vegan food in front of them.

The recipes we served, in the form of a sampling menu, are offered here. There are plenty of Skinny Bitch in the Kitch recipes that swap imitation meats and cheeses for the real thing. I avoided most of these to seek out recipes with unusual grains and vegetables.

The Tamari-Roasted Root Vegetables With Cashew Millet is the favorite at our table. A flavorful Sage Pesto dresses the Penne With Butternut Squash. The French Lentil Salad is a delicate and satisfying balance of flavors. And adding chipotle peppers to braised kale gives a spicy kick to Spaghetti Squash With Spicy Braised Greens, Raisins and Pine Nuts.

Copyright © 2007, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 03/27/08 04:49:02

Great Press Article -
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/dining/bal-fo.vegan26mar26,0,7719769.story
    Excerpt -
    Credit for the new look of veganism goes to Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, authors of Skinny Bitch, "a no-nonsense, tough-love guide for savvy girls who want to stop eating crap and start looking fabulous," and a new companion cookbook, Skinny Bitch in the Kitch.
    The cookbook extends the sensational hold veganism - a fringe discipline even on its best day - suddenly has on the popular imagination.
    "I think they are fabulous," said Casey Hall, 23, of Baltimore, who stopped eating meat when she was 11 and became a vegan at 18. "I like their cursing and their up-front attitude."
    Freedman and Barnouin, whose books have sold more than 850,000 copies, use a combination of girl power and gross-out stories from the barnyard, and it is an approach that resonates in the tender hearts of young girls, who represent the fastest-growing segment of the vegetarian population.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 03/29/08 00:58:03

Megan McArdle hates it - but I am sure that her "Review" will lead more copies being bought - good work Megan! - do your worst! - http://meganmcardle.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/03/looking_for.php