Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Local animal rights group is hosting vegan potlucks and showing films. Looking for good movies to show to veg and veg-curious alike.

See CARE Mendocino on Facebook

Responses (3)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Jemima at 01/27/10 18:50:08

I can't comment on the content of all these movies as I haven't seen them all but try: A Delicate Balance; Garbage Warrior; The Truth(about food?); The Cove; Food Inc; The Gleaners and I; Supersize Me;

I'd like to know others too..

• Report Abuse

Posted by malloneek at 01/27/10 22:47:22

King Corn and The Future of Food.
    The Future of food is a little dry but great information.
    King Corn is almost as entertaining as Food Inc, which if you haven't seen you must. I know of no other movie that has impacted so many people ( in good ways!!)
    Another but I haven't seen it is The End of the Line - about the fishing industry.

• Report Abuse

Posted by shearwater at 01/28/10 20:01:25

One of my favorite animal rights videos is Jennifer Abbott's 1998 "A Cow At My Table." It's a 90 minute documentary that looks at the meat industry going back to the 19th century. There are interviews with agribusiness reps defending, often hilariously, their "humane" care of animals as well as interviews with animal rights activists and animal welfare experts. It covers the culture of meat, the history of meat industry hype, and how farms evolved into the intensive automated factories of today.

One of my favorite parts is listening to agribusiness defenders talk about how animal rights people are denigrating the meat industry by using terms like "factory farm" while clips of old agribusiness promos are shown bragging about advances turning farms into factories and describing animals as production machines.

Unlike a lot of dry documentaries "A Cow At My Table" entertainingly weaves together interviews with new and old footage going back as far as Thomas Edison. It's very educational. Some of it is quite funny. At times it's very sad. But that's to be expected considering the subject. [The infamous Lancaster Stockyards (Pennsylvania, USA) near my home are even mentioned.]

An agribusiness spokesperson asks that we respect their choice to eat meat. An activist responds saying "what you see as pleasure is someone else's harm." The question is also asked, do hamburgers come from Ronald McDonald's hamburger patch or do they come from dead cows. It's not overly graphic till some bits near the end. Unfortunately that's the reality. Most cows are not happy cows.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support