HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I'm a vegetarian, and just recently I've started to think about the possibilities of going vegan. I love my dairy products, but after watching a few documentaries, including "Vegucated", and reading up on the topic, I just feel disgusted whenever I think about what the animals might have gone through in order for me to enjoy the cheese I'm eating. Is it possible (and if so where should I start looking) to find small, family owned farms around my city, that treat animals fairly and humanely while selling their milk?

Responses (6)

• Report Abuse

Posted by savetheanimals at 03/03/13 16:59:07

There is no humane milk, cheese or any animal product. The reason cows make milk is for there calves not for humans. In order for the cows to make milk they have to be kept pregnant. They take the boy calves and keep them in crates to keep them from moving. Then they slaughter them. When the cows get to old to make milk they send the cows to slaughter. It doesn't mater how small the farm is the cows still have to be pregnant to make milk and all milk farms turn the male calves to veal by slaughtering them. They don't have have use for the cow when the cow can't make milk and they will slaughter her too. If you want to live an ethical lifestyle go vegan. I think you should watch Gary Yourofsky's Ga tech speech www.adaptt.org/videos.html

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 03/20/13 23:03:34

Well, there are various kinds of humane milk:
    soy milk, almond milk, barley milk, oat milk, rice milk, and so on...

Believe me, when I first heard about how cows are treated by the dairy industry (hat been a happy and unknowing vegetarian for 20 years before that), I also shuddered at the thought of drinking my cappuccino in the future with soy milk instead of animal secretion ... but guess what, it turned out fine for me.

Give it a try!!!

Best regards,
    Andy

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 03/25/13 08:02:35

Perhaps best not to lump all the non-animal "milks" together...not all producers are to be trusted. I bought "Silk" products till I learned that they are a Chinese company. I have no problems with the Chinese people, but they don't have the regulations and standards that we do (and ours aren't so hot).

Organic Farms in Wisconsin make good soy products, though they also produce cow's milk products. I'm currently using Blue Diamond Almond Breeze, hoping that they're OK...

• Report Abuse

Posted by irishmouse at 04/01/13 12:22:34

There are good vegan cheese choices, and I eat both soy and rice ice cream. The previous poster is correct in saying that there really are not ethical choices when it comes to dairy cow products. Humans are a unique species who have convinced ourselves that it is both natural and ethical to "steal" the milk of a lactating cow for human consumption. The cow would not be lactating if not kept pregnant, and that is the moral issue that sends me looking at alternatives made from soy, almond, rice and other products that available.

• Report Abuse

Posted by SeekerOfTheWay at 04/01/13 14:31:54

These guys said it well. Go Vegan

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 06/20/13 06:05:48

Irishmouse-

"Do cows exist just to serve as wet nurse slaves for un-weaned humans?
    -from my first book, "The Weaning of America", InnerPeace Books (1997)

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now