Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

As a new pollotarian, I feel like I'm not taken as Seriously as some vegetarians/vegans. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if you have, what did you to overcome the judgement. Or if you feel like pollotarians are illegitement , please explain why :)

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 01/05/18 07:00:03

I'll admit I had to look up what a Pollotarian was. I'd never heard of it.

Personally I think everyone's journey in ethical eating is different. When I first was transitioning to vegetarian, I looked at the dead turkey carcass on my plate and knew it was wrong. I challenged myself to not eat meat of any kind for a month, EXCEPT FISH, to see if I could do it. I don't know why I left out fish. They clearly feel pain and suffering like a cow, pig or chicken. It wasn't logical, but for me it was a step in the right direction.

It turns out, going without meat was wonderful. I loved it. The next month I gave up fish and committed to vegetarianism. It took me a long time to become a vegan. With the help of this website, I did it. And it's been one of the best decisions of my life. I only wish I'd gone vegan so much sooner.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 01/05/18 07:05:03

In what ways do you feel Pollotarians are not taken as seriously as vegetarians or vegans?

Do you find you often have to explain what a Pollotarian is?

May I ask, are you a Pollotarian for health reasons only? Do you see it as a stepping stone to vegetarianism? Or something else?

• Report Abuse

Posted by ChickenFeet at 01/06/18 02:56:23

I see it as a stepping stone, kinda dipping my toe in the water I guess

I guess it's just not as well known, and people say it's not real, I guess that's how I feel

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 01/06/18 07:12:26

As a stepping stone, dipping your toe in the water.. that all makes sense to me. Changing lifelong habits is not easy. Some people can change everything overnight. But for most people I think it's a process.

It's ironic though that you might get less flack from people if you were vegetarian rather than Pollotarian, simply because vegetarian is a label that is so well-known and pretty much mainstream now. It makes it easier.

Do you think you'll be ready to go the next step soon and stop eating chickens and turkeys? The vegetarian community would love to welcome you in! : )

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 01/06/18 14:53:33

ChickenFeet. To supplement happycow girl's good and supportive comments---When I made the decision to go vegetarian, I did it over a year's time. I first gave up meat, beef, pork, then chicken, fish, and then last was shrimp. This was easier and I felt healthier and more mindful along the way. Plus my family and friends adjusted also. I got a lot of criticism and questions. But it made me stronger in my vegetarian beliefs.

I learned how to cook more vegetables, pastas, and grains. Eat more raw fruits and vegetables. Rice cakes for snacks helped me feel healthier. My success to this day was that I also did it for health, because I love and respect animals, and I have always loved the Earth since I was a child. I tell people this everytime they ask me why I'm a vegetarian. Everyone can agree with at least one if these--mostly health and feeling good.

As far as dealing with people who criticize or don't understand or honor your choices, I get the same often. Sure, it gets old. I don't argue with people anymore. I just tell them I eat the way I feel is best for my body and mind. I eat what grows from the earth. They are just insecure. Often, they know that what they are eating is not good or right for them, so they go on the defensive. We all are insecure in areas of our life. That's how we learn to become stronger in our identity. No one is perfect, but we all have to support each other and get through every day, with the mind and body we have. No judgement. Just living.

Best wishes for going pollotarian or vegetarian. It's your choice. Hope this info. helps you. We all support each other.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support