Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi, I'm not a vegan or vegetarian but looking to incorporate more vegetarian or vegan meals into my diet (maybe become a vegetarian or vegan no promises). That being said I have to go grocery shopping soon and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of recipes or foods I should buy as someone who is clueless when it comes to this. I tried a vegan meal for lunch one time and idk but I had a massive headache afterwards. Not sure why but I'm curious to try this again. Any help is appreciated!

Thank you

Responses (18)

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 10/31/17 00:45:08

People tend to overthink this part. I completely understand as I was one of them. In truth, it's quite easy and doesn't need to involve complicated recipes with tons of rarely used ingredients.

There are so many things to eat that don't contain animal ingredients. What do you like to eat/cook now?

• Report Abuse

Posted by volco at 10/31/17 00:56:26

I mean I'm very open to anything I love Pad Thai, soups, fish, I like to bbq. I love almost any vegetable, rice etc ( oriental and hispanic dishes are my favorite). The good thing is I'm not a picky eater so I'm open to many things. I don't know why but the first time I tried a vegan dish I had a massive headache afterwards. I don't know if its because of the meal change or what. I'm sure vegetarian and vegan meals are actually quiet tasty I just have no clue where to start. Hope that gives some sort of idea.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 10/31/17 01:12:02

Hopefully the headache was just a coincidence and not an allergy or anything,. I didn't know you meant you literally had a headache. I thought it was a proverbial headache.
    Anyway this will be extremely easy for you. Just double down on the veggies. I love to make stir fry with rice and veggies and tofu and it's about the easiest thing to make. Sometimes I just throw some veggies in a pan and sauté and serve on abed of lentils or onion rings and blammo, its a meal.
    I use red lentil rotini pasta and sometimes mix in some green beans, pasta sauce and top it with nutritional yeast and In less than ten minutes, a high protein dinner is served. And very inexpensive.

I was grilling steaks and chicken practically every day of the week before I went vegan then abruptly stopped. My new best friends are tofu, seitan and tempeh. Once you learn a few tricks of the trade with those, you won't miss meat. You can still BBQ until the cows come home.
    It may not taste identical but it sure as heck will look like meat and your brain will enjoy it just the same.

• Report Abuse

Posted by volco at 10/31/17 01:21:15

I will admit that does sound delicious! I love tofu because it's so easy to cook with. When I go to the grocery store I 'll have to buy some of the stuff you mentioned and try it. I'm thinking I'll just try adding in some vegetarian dishes here and there and see what happens.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 10/31/17 01:29:41

Get a tofu press if you don't already have one. It's a time saver and once the water is squeezed out tofu (extra firm) will absorb flavors from marinades and sauces and it also becomes sticky enough to dredge in breading. I make fried tofu fingers or tofu nuggets pretty often. Tofu is not only cheaper then meat and have a much longer shelf life than meat but you can use the same recipes and sauces and cook it the same way. Even on the grill if you like. It looks the same even. Best of all, it won't kill you if you don't cook it to an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. It's low calories too and the protein is off the charts.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 10/31/17 01:33:45

It's next to impossible to burn it also. I forgot that.

Seriously, going vegan was the biggest life hack. It saves time and money and my taste buds are thrilled.

• Report Abuse

Posted by volco at 10/31/17 01:35:18

oh I've never heard of a tofu press! and tofu fingers and nuggets sound interesting. Never would have thought of that but it makes sense. I know a friend who has told me veggie burgers are good but I've yet to try one as I was kinda unsure about how it would taste lol. What kind of dishes do you recommend for breakfast?

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 10/31/17 01:41:03

For breakfast, I like cereal and fresh fruit.

There's many vegan cereals.. some of them even veganic meaning the farms are completely vegan and don't use manure.

I have a bowl of cereal in soy or almond milk (sometimes oatmeal) and a big plate of apple slices, pineapple and a pineapple. Kiwi, carambola and mango have been known to make an appearance. I add a couple tbsp of seed blend to the cereal and a little granola. How does that sound?

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 10/31/17 01:46:12

As for the veggie burgers, theres a million of them now.

I have tried many of them. Some of them are more of a treat but i do indulge once a week on burger night, just as i have for years and years. And i load them up with my favorite condiments just like always. Never needed to use animal flesh for that.

• Report Abuse

Posted by volco at 10/31/17 01:46:51

That sounds better then my microwave quick breakfast. Sounds more nutritious. I appreciate the help. I'll have to write some of this down so I can buy it!

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 10/31/17 01:51:13

You're welcome and good luck.

The microwave options are definitely there too but fresh fruit is really a great way to get fiber and vitamins. Provided you can easily get fresh fruit, of course.

I had an after thought about veggie burgers above in case you didn't see it

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 10/31/17 01:56:02

By the way, to save time in the morning, i slice enough fruit for three days at a time, sometimes 4 days if its a big enough pineapple. My breakfast is faster than microwave.

• Report Abuse

Posted by volco at 10/31/17 02:10:05

oh well that's true and a good idea. Slicing fruit for a couple of days wouldn't be that hard.

• Report Abuse

Posted by theCaityCat at 10/31/17 23:54:00

I often buy pre-cut fruit if I know I'm going to be busy for a few days with work, which happens a lot during the school year. A pint/quart of pre-cut cantaloupe or pineapple isn't too expensive and it helps make sure I get enough fresh fruit on a daily basis.

Something else I've done for a long time, even before I went vegetarian, was make a big pot of chili or bean-based stew, and then freeze portions of it so that I could heat them up for lunches or dinners as needed. Plenty of protein, good way to add in extra vegetables, and you can make it as spicy/unspicy as you want. And beans are cheap and nutritious.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 11/01/17 01:24:06

Those are great tips too. We're constantly bombarded with delicious looking but complicated and time consuming recipes but a simple can of beans can make for a meal in and of itself.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ForestNymph at 11/26/17 02:41:26

Vegetarian meals are super easy, I started in my early teens, things as simple as cereal, pop-tarts, microwave lean cuisine or weight watchers meals with the cheese lasagna or cheese manicotti, the vegetarian special at your local pizza place, grilled cheese toasts with tomato soup, peanut butter and jelly, poached eggs on toast, bean burritos with your favorite toppings....I was very young when I started progressing towards vegetarian, even with authoritarian parents, and even living the American South, I found that incorporating lacto-ovo vegetarian meals is truly easy. The main thing you would have to watch out for is "sneaky" ingredients, like gelatin or the fact that Panda Express puts chicken broth in it's Eggplant Tofu! (I didn't know this for years until I went vegan).

It's vegan meals that may take more of a change or planning, but when you get the hang of it, it actually becomes second nature, and when you like a wide variety of foods or enjoy cooking, it may even seem like an adventure. You can start out with your favorite Thai dishes with tofu, simple breakfasts like oatmeal with fruit and nuts or nut butter and soy or almond milk, avocado toast, hummus on crackers, fresh cut veggies, fresh fruit, lentil soups, bean burritos without the cheese (sub guacamole or avocado instead!), white bean and kale soup (really easy to make), again with the peanut butter sandwiches (and many potato chips are vegan), and then you can start to branch out into exploring vegan products like veggie burgers (which you may have already had), Gardein or Tofurky products, getting Daiya on your pizza instead of cow's cheese, and trying all of those exciting fancy recipes on Pinterest.

It may be easier for you to go vegetarian first and transition to vegan. But it's not as difficult as it seems, I'm quite sure you've had vegetarian and vegan meals in your life, but simply live in a culture where people eat too much meat and so see it as "normal."

• Report Abuse

Posted by rockyroy at 12/26/17 07:22:00

i always enjoy vegetarian meals its super also prefer self cooking fry rice mostly incorporated in daily meals.Vegetarian ingredients everything available what we want and also very beneficial for our body . i don't think never eating like no-veg or cruelty food. And never eager to take this type of meal in future. its think its not for human being. It may be pretty easier for you to go vegetarian first and transformation to vegan.I seems its not difficult to be vegan.Being vegan or vegetarian seriously its biggest hack or slash.It saves times and money and also thrilled to test.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Kiwifruiti at 02/13/18 14:27:18

Hi Volco,
    I am currently subscribe to a veggie meal plan subscription called HelloFresh. Each week, they will send me 3 meal plans with all exact portions of ingredients and a detailed recipe card with photos for each meal. There is very little prepping, if any. There is a coupon code here if you want to try them out: MISHA . You’ll get $40 off your first week with free delivery at HelloFresh.com

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support