Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I am getting so frustrated and maybe I am extra hormonal right now... but I feel like I get no support being Vegan and I got to be honest - it is hard. I know most of you don't eat meat because it does not taste good to you. I wish I was that way! I am Vegan for ethical reasons but I still CRAVE meat and I feel so conflicted for feeling that way. Camping this weekend was really rough with all the awesome meals cooked over the campfire. I brought some Vegan staples but they didn't look as good as the breakfast burritos with cherizo! LOL! When my in laws cook dinner once a week, I get a freaking potato while everyone else is eating BBQ ribs and cornbread.

I come here for support and to remind myself why I am doing this. I wish I had some veg*n friends in real life to discuss this with or to talk about food with. My husband is a Chef and although he respects my feelings and supports my cause, he is a huge meat eater and creates fabulous dishes that I do miss.

Anyway... just looking for some support - please don't be harsh!

Responses (9)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 05/28/08 08:49:23

It is not weird at all that you are craving meat. There can be a transitional period where your body will still crave things that you ate (I mean, you ate those foods for a long time, your body remembers the smell and taste being great, why wouldn't you crave them?). You have made a great change in your life, don't forget that! One thing I can tell you, though. The longer you go without it, the less appealing it is. I have gotten to the point now where the smell is quite overwhelming and I don't want to eat it. And trust me, I used to LOVE the smell of bacon. Just remember, when you smell that food, think of the animal that used to be those ribs, then you won't want to eat it. And bring some deliciously sinful vegan food, too, if that helps! Trust me, I know the challenges of the diet (I am not 100% vegan myself).

I also know how hard it can be when your friends and family don't share the same dietary habits you do. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life, and if you do find a veg friend, hold on tight! And remember we are always here for you!

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 05/28/08 12:42:05

Right now I am in a city with "0" meat free restaurants - I have 6lbs of fruit in my room.

I just walked past a line of street vendors to get back to my hotel - all were barbequeing meat.

Meat "tastes" excellent - I can still remember my last meat meals - 30+ years later.

My only advice Katylynn is to get very involved in the food preparation yourself at gatherings & create some fabulous dishes.

I started cooking "veggy" as a college student in 1978 / 9 - I cannot fremember anyone complaining about my food.

Make 4 veggy dishes for each of their meat dishes!

Some other opinions -
    From Liz Petty of Syracuse.

"Vegetarianism and veganism are even receiving more attention among
    cookbook authors, and the ingredients in their recipes are largely
    inexpensive and easy to obtain. "Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan
    Cookbook," by New York City vegan cooks Isa Chandra Moskowitz and
    Terry Hope Romero, recently hit bookstore shelves and includes lots of
    tasty, easy and delicious recipes for vegan meals and even desserts.

By giving up meat, you aren't also giving up the pleasure of food. You
    shouldn't have to sacrifice good flavor, either. By making simple
    ingredient substitutions, becoming more conscious of what's in your
    food and compromising with your meat-eating friends, you can survive
    quite comfortably in a college environment.

And trust me - if you follow these simple survival rules, you'll
    probably end up like me: Once you go veg, you won't go back." - full article:
    http://media.www.dailyorange.com/media/storage/paper522/news/2008/01/24/Feature/Vegetarian.Survival.Guide-3164699.shtml
    From a blog post which I had saved some time ago -

"Vegetarians' defense arguments are grounded not just in emotion, but also in reality and logic. Eating meat is truly murder - not just murder, but premeditated murder. This is not an exaggeration. It is an axiom. Anyone who eats meat consumes about 4,000 animals during the course of his or her lifetime. Meat eaters also understand this, but they prefer to put this unpleasant part of the meal out of their mind. All education for eating meat is predicated on the child not realizing the connection between the schnitzel and the chicken. And no parent takes his or her child to the kibbutz petting zoo to explain where hamburger comes from. In general, the difficult questions start to be raised at age 9. This is also the average age when people become vegetarians.

Vegetarians also know that meat tastes good - especially those who ate meat and gave it up for ethical reasons. They remember with longing the taste of roast beef burned on the outside and bleeding inside. So what? And what if it turns out that human flesh marinated in white wine and garlic is also a delicacy? After all, we do not even fry dogs in a pan, but instead pass laws to protect them against abuse. This is how it is in the enlightened and hypocritical Western world: The dog is declared to be man's best friend, and cows are designated as food. What scorn we feel toward dog-eaters in the Far East, as if eating cows were something more ethical."

Full posts here - http://jewishveg.blogspot.com/2005_06_01_archive.html#a063005a2

• Report Abuse

Posted by gr8vegan at 05/30/08 00:09:56

How's that McFosters veg restaurant in Omaha? I'd be looking for friends there, lol. Why don't you start a vegan meetup or join your local Animal Rights group or vegetarian society? Or my advice is get like 10 copies of The China Study and just hand them out to everyone you know. 9 out 10 times they'll go vegan. Just learn to turn your frustration into inspiration :) (i know i'm lame!) Veganism should be a culinary adventure not dead end. What I ate 10 years ago is pathetic compared to my diet now, but you'll probably have to move to NYC to have tons of vegan friends! doh

• Report Abuse

Posted by SynthVegan at 05/30/08 21:22:58

As mentioned above, having adverse or non-supportive reactions to the fact that you're Vegan is a fact of life – I can relate to you even more so because we both reside in the Midwest. My Vegetarian friends aren't even supportive of my Veganism. I'll get responses like, oh come on you can cheat once…it's just cheese. No, I won't… But will tell you what the key is, self determination.

I liked cheese and stuff made with milk and eggs before I quit [the thought of if now is repulsive since I've been Vegan for so long], so trust me, it wasn't a matter of dislike. I just didn't want to contribute to the harm of animals anymore, nor did I want to put that garbage in my body. In general, I think you're going to have to rely on that support within yourself first, and then branch out. That's how I did it, but I do understand that everyone works differently.

I would also suggest going to that restaurant that Gr8Vegan mentioned, that's also how I've meet some Vegetarians/Vegans here too. Take care, and good luck.

• Report Abuse

Posted by louis at 06/14/08 06:23:17

Hi Katylynn

I bought that Vegonomicon book by Moskowitz and Romero, mentioned by Johnny, a few weeks ago. I like to cook and have gone through several recipe books both vegetarian and latterly vegan, but got fed up with the lack of inspiring recipes. I can say that this is the best cook book, vegan and non vegan, I have ever owned. Amazing food.

Report Abuse

Posted by KellyVeganGirl at 06/18/08 10:53:43

Since meat is full osf [censored] it can be really addicting like drugs.Just keep reminding yourself how your saving animals from torture and go online and you can always look at the horrific pics and videos at factory farming.

I don't get any support where I live either. People can be complete morons.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Katylynn2000 at 06/18/08 12:40:44

Damn it - my post is gone that I typed up.

Anyway, thank you so much for the support. I have checked out McFosters and it is okay... I also went with my non vegan family so I wasn't really looking at it as an outreach - but I am sure if I go back with a different mind set that I will find some great opportunity. Good idea.

The China Study? Haven't heard of it but will now look into it.

I recently read 'Skinny Bitch' and there was an excerpt in which a factory worker cut off a live pig's snout and rubbed salt in it - then put salt in it's anus. That made me want to vomit and that is all I can think about when I look at meat.

What has been blowing my mind lately is that we glorify and protect our pets but eat other animals... It makes me sick and makes no sense to me.

Anyway, I really appreciate your posts and you guys do really help me... Thanks!

I will totally check out that cook book. A lot of recipes I have googled contains soy and I am not a big supporter of the soy products.

Report Abuse

Posted by KellyVeganGirl at 06/18/08 17:10:08

Yeah it's crazy people would never eat their pets but think it's totally normal to eat farm animals. This world is ridiculous.

I was watching this Canadian newsmagazine the other day and the host was talking about how the other day he was getting ready to eat a steak but the phone rang. So he went in the other room to answear the phone and when he came back his cat was eating the steak. Then he joked about how he still got to eat the steak because he ate his cat. Some people booed in the audience but of course they didn't boo when he said he was going to eat a tortured cow.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tom at 07/24/08 09:11:38

Great advice on "The China Study", definitely one of the most informative books ever. Another incredible book that always helps folks form a very solid base for the veg way of life is "The World Peace Diet" by Will Tuttle. This book is a must-read, as it enhances a thousandfold our understanding of how everything is impacted by our food choices.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support