HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi everyone :-) I'm Nikki, and, as you can see in the title, I'm new here. I've been toying with the idea of vegetarianism since I was really young, always having had a soft spot for animal rights. I've tried a vegetarian diet, but for reasons I don't really recall, I stopped. I've recently developed a new, stronger interest in the lifestyle, so I did a bit of research. Right now I'm only vegetarian, but a month from now, when I move out of the on campus dorm and am no longer subject to cafeteria food, I plan on going vegan. As this is pretty much new to me, I could use some help. Any advice you may have, please share. :-)

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by auungbong at 12/01/08 07:53:25

Welcome Nikki!

I totally understand where you're coming from regarding your living situation! I live off campus and in college and it is so hard even while I am on college to eat the right foods that are packed with lots of nutrients not just unecessary calories. Salad gets boring, well the salads that my school has. Im vegan now, been so for 6+ months. It's easy for me because I never really liked milk, butter to begin with or wool and the smell of leather. Anyways, I always pack myself food/snacks for me because at school the produce isnt always ripe or fresh and it costs way more than what I would pay for at the farm. I usually pack baby carrots, apple or orange, a Cliff Bar and always always am able to find packages of peanut butter at my school that I grab with me. It stinks having to lug around food but you always have to assume 'what if.' So be prepared and veganism, for me, wasn't a big challenge for me once you know where all your by products are really coming from. eww :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Truly at 12/03/08 07:09:47

Hi Nikki.

You are going to be cooking for yourself a lot so I suggest you get some cookbooks/recipes and start experimenting until you have 5-10 vegan meals that you like and can make easily. Also if you have a sweet tooth you should consider getting into baking and invest in some of the ingredients that are typically used (egg replacer, barley malt or maple syrup, etc.) so you can make yourself cookies, cakes, etc.

To be clear I am NOT a vegan, I am a vegetarian, but I was vegan for a few years in the 1990s when it was much tougher to find vegan food in restaurants and stores. So my advice might be a little out of date from a convenience perspective - but it's right on target in this economy when people are trying to save some $$$!

Let me know if there's anything specific you want to know about.

Good luck with your veganism!

• Report Abuse

Posted by adorkable_oxo at 12/03/08 20:01:48

Thank you so much, both of you!! I really appreciate the tips and the support. :-)

• Report Abuse

Posted by beallyoucanbe at 02/18/09 17:45:36

Arbonne offers some incredible vegan products (like protein shake and fiber booster. These are awesome to help you feel full, replace a meal or add to a meal, depending on what you are looking for. To view all of Arbonne's products (all vegan) go to www.beallyoucanbe.myarbonne.co.uk or contact me at [email protected]

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now