Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

After looking at my eating habits i have decided to go vegetarian. I dont know where to start. If i should slowly phase into it or just jump into it. If any one could give me tips and advice that would be awesome!

Responses (7)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 03/20/15 06:28:07

As with changing any habits, the method is not one size fits all.

I probably could have made the change all at once, but it was gradual over a six month period, as I learned more. It took even longer to go vegan, but when I fully understand all the ethical implications it was an easy decision.

I've wished since then that I could have become better educated as a child, rather than in my 30s and 40s.

You can likely find some very good books on vegetarian and vegan diets at your local library. There are suggested books on this website, including my favorites in my Profile.

Keep in mind, that vegan philosophy means much more than diet. It's a compassionate and rewarding way to live.

• Report Abuse

Posted by evgkor at 03/21/15 19:42:01

Hey!
    I've been vegetarian for 3 years now and for me it was an abrupt decision. I decided that I wasn't going to eat meat and I stopped right away. I haven't experienced any meat withdrawal symptoms. The hardest thing to overcome was the remarks I got from friends, family and people in general. However, people get used to it. What I would suggest is to consider how much you enjoy meat and then decide whether it is better to just jump into it or slowly convert.

Report Abuse

Posted by MirandaThompson at 03/29/15 15:15:45

Hello!
    Personally, I watched the documentary Food Inc. That movie changed my life and I quit eating meat that day and haven't had any since. This was easy for me and I haven't missed it at all. For others, a slow transition may work. Like one month cut out all beef, the next chicken, and then seafood. It's up to you. But if you eat a lot of crap and then take meat and other junk out of your diet all at once, you're probably going to experience detox symptoms so be careful. Message me if you need any help!

• Report Abuse

Posted by pinkvegetarian at 03/29/15 22:04:32

Hi! I'm so glad that you want to be vegetarian! I'm 12, and I've been vegetarian since I was 4. Its been 8 years, and know its SO easy! When I was little I just stopped eating meat! It was to sad for me, so I refused, and my parents let me. Since I was young, it was easy just to quite, I was still gaining habits. But I would suggest slowly, like not eating pure meat (Like a chicken bone, or frog legs) -( I really don't know about types of meat!) but still eat small things like gelatin, and lard. Although you will have to cut the small things out later, it should help adjust you. Good Luck with that! One of my hardest things is people thing vegetarian means ONLY vegetables! I'm like "what the heck? Of COURSE I can eat sugar!". They also somehow become protein experts! I mean seriously how are you going to become as strong as a ox eating meat, when the ox eats grass? Good luck!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Armstrong2Zappa at 04/21/15 06:45:19

Great to hear you are making changes. The best advice is information, so here are some websites that will help: www.pcrm.org, www.vegnews.com, www.vegweb.com. These are a good start, there are many more. All the best!

• Report Abuse

Posted by ellie4animals4ever at 07/17/15 08:28:40

I cut meat completely out of my diet and then cut out fish and other seafood a few weeks later. It's really not as hard as you think, soon you just get used to it!

• Report Abuse

Posted by anahidscv at 07/17/15 10:35:40

I think if you listen to your body, and see the changes happening, you will not go back. It is about feeling good, and believe me, I have been there, eating meat and dairy never made me feel good. I was always having stomach issues, all the time.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support