HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Author Avatar
I've been a vegetarian for 18 years and am now turning vegan. Is what I'm eating acceptable? Am I eating enough? Is this a good variety? Here are samples of choices I eat now:
Breakfast choices = soy protein bar and cup frozen fruit OR cup oatmeal with 1/4 cup trail mix and 1 cup soy milk OR tofu scramble with cut veggies
Snack = handful trail mix or fruit
Lunch choices = homemade low fat Italian bread sandwich with ½ avocado, Vegnaise spread, hot pepper spread, Tofurkey slices, tomato slices and 1 cup vegetable broth OR dinner leftovers (stirfry with vegan protein choice, vegan pizza and lentil or vegetable soup
Dinner = If dinner leftovers was eaten for lunch, I'll eat a sandwich OR pasta with varied sauces OR large salad with greens, cut apple, seeds, olives and dressing

Responses (3)

• Report Abuse

Posted by jujutsuka at 01/09/11 18:14:40

I'm no dietitian but have been a healthy vegan for 9 years. Looks like a good variety to me: fruits, veggies, legumes, good fats, proteins and grains are all taken care of in what you list. I will just make a few (possibly inconsequential) remarks.

One often hears the phrase "B-vitamins are not provided by a vegan diet". But this is not quite right as dark green veggies contain B's. Also getting the proper dosage becomes easier as the vegan lifestyle becomes more common since things like naked or superfood drinks can be loaded (same can be said of calcium, for example, fortified in soymilk). If you ever feel a loss of energy or attentiveness it may be due to B-vitamins (my non-vegan mom just started taking B-complex and raves about how great she feels). Anyways, point being that in pursuit of B-vitamins I have become totally addicted to superfood and wheatgrass. Love the stuff.

Also, the gluten in your diet (pasta, italian bread) stands out to me since I recently went gluten free. Although it took a few weeks to see the difference, indeed I feel less tired and more energetic daily.

Again, I say my comments may be inconsequential because when you go vegan you get loads of "advice" coming from all directions and sometimes it's exhausting. I think the most important thing is to know yourself and pay attention to how you feel and what works for you.

Cheers :0)

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 01/11/11 05:21:22

Sounds good to me, though possibly a bit on the fat side. Especially the 'trail mix' that consists of lots of nuts can be something to watch out there.

I am currently following the 80/10/10 diet (80 % of your calories from carbs, max 10% from fat and protein), as suggested by Dr. Douglas Graham. In his book, he also outlines that raw fooders often consume a whopping 60 % of their calories from fat, which is not a great thing. (Average on the 'American Diet' incorporation meat is about 40%, same for normal vegetarians). Since I started taking fat intake into consideration (in addition to eating vegan), I have lost quite a few unwanted pounds and feel generally better now.

A good way to keep track of this is, e.g., www.nutridiary.com. Many dieticians suggest you lead a diet diary in order to find out what you normally eat.

Hope that helps...
    Best regards,
    Andy

• Report Abuse

Posted by Aemilius at 08/28/11 21:43:55

Good luck, you can do it! I went vegan last year after being vegetarian for around 12 years. I think it's hard to give highly specific advice on food because everyone's body is different. My best advice is to get a bunch of cookbooks, preferably from the library (if they're free, you can try more!), and experiment a LOT. Try new foods and new preparations.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now