Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi, my partner and I recently went vegan about 3 months ago and we are absolutely loving how healthy, energized and guilt free we feel after every meal.
The only real down side that I've found is that I've been experiencing joint pain. I've always been very thin so I'm no stranger to this but it feels like it has been increasing. I went to my doctor and he blamed it on a plant based diet, so while I'm in the process of finding a new doctor I'd like to know if anyone has any crulity free options? Most of our diet consists of veggies and grains with some fruit, tree nuts and beans (I'm very allergic to peanuts) and we take a B12 suppliment every day

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 01/23/18 19:37:24

Andra--Try a vegan based calcium supplement. Also Deva Vegan Vitamins makes a vegan glucosamine msm supplement. I use tumeric supplement pill for joint pain. Also, I just recently got told about trying Devils Claw herb for joint pain. I just take it in capsule form. I've taken for a week now and my joint and muscle pain has diminished. I use tumeric also.

Also, if you haven't done so since you and your partner went vegan, try doing a whole body detox. Joint and muscle pain can be toxins in your body. They have kits at health food stores. Milk thistle for liver, burdock root and slippery elm bark for digestive system. Just suggestions. See what works for you.

Also, take a warm bath with epsom salts a few times a week. Helps the body and mind, and it's alone time which every one needs. Best wishes for joint pain relief and a happy vegan lifestyle.

• Report Abuse

Posted by MajaSS at 01/24/18 15:51:16

Make sure you eat enough leafy greens!
    Hope it gets better soon! Good luck finding a new doctor!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Heksebrann at 04/15/18 12:20:29

Me too!
    Most notably it's my finger joints.
    I have a doctor's appointment on wednesday, but I already feel pretty sure I have found the culprit:

Protein deficiency...

I watched this video on YouTube: https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwiy-Kb2grzaAhUFCSwKHYrtAeMQxa8BCCQwAA&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

He talks about Ayurvedic medicine, but he seems reasonable. I'm not going to follow his advice and actually start to eat red meat, just eat more beans and soy products.

What he talks about (John Douillard) is quite interesting. There's this fluid between our joints called the synovial fluid which makes sure our joints don't rub against each other. It is also chock-full of protein. When the body runs low on protein, the body starts to deplete the synovial fluid. So stiff and achy joints can be a sign you're not getting enough protein. According to the video, protein may be extra important during winter.

I feel a bit embarrassed about this. Weak, protein deficient vegetarians is one of the oldest stereotypes about us around. And in the plantbased community we have tried so hard to dispel this stuff.
    I guess it's a point that people's nutrient needs vary. When the nutrition guidelines were made, they aimed for intakes that are enough for 90-something percent of people. It could be that my needs are higher or it can mean that I haven't been as good at eating legumes as I should have been. My cron-o-meter data looks good, though. (I have some tendencies toward disordered eating, though. Overeating mostly, but some days not eating enough.)

I am going to talk to the doctor about my aching finger joints. I have also started eating more protein.

PS: speaking of nutrition; make sure you get iodine! I personally supplement 100 mcg/a capsule a day (iodized salt in my country doesn't nearly contain enough). When listening to ex-vegans, sometimes the health problems they talk about resemble the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Vegetarians may be more susceptible because of low iodine intake + goitrogens; a phytochemical found in soy and cruciferous vegetables. Shouldn't be a problem, though, as long as you get enough iodine!

• Report Abuse

Posted by matijars at 04/16/18 11:25:40

Hi, firstly congratulations! Secondly, did you know that calcium naturally occurs in soil and not in the bodies of cows? Fruits and vegetables are the only direct source of calcium. Dairy products, on the other hand, are an indirect source because cows get their calcium either through calcium-rich grass or calcium-fortified grains, and note that most cows are grain-fed nowadays. And did you know that there is calcium in every fruit and vegetable, especially green leafy vegetables and legumes?

I hope that helps. And for further information, you might find this of use:
    https://www.plantbaseddoctors.org/

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support