Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I live in a small town, and its really hard to find vegetarian specific places. So, if you guys could help, I would love it!

Ive already had lentil soup, so thats a plus. And I have pasta with tomato sauce (amazing!).

So cheap ingredients and help, I would be grateful! Thanks!

Responses (6)

• Report Abuse

Posted by louis at 03/21/10 05:19:08

Hi Wolfsvain,
    have a look at:

www.studentrecipes.com/recipes/vegetarian

www.theppk.com/recipes/
    some cheap some not so cheap but the lentil dhal is a winner- tasty and v cheap to make
    www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=127

www.lbveg.com/index.php

Report Abuse

Posted by kristiek7 at 03/23/10 07:03:29

[Removed by moderator]

• Report Abuse

Posted by fcp at 03/23/10 11:08:36

Hello there,
    don't get too hung on recipes, just concepts. two things that you can cook cheap and very easilly:

1) Beans (any one you prefer; I like black and Red)
    - Soak overnight,dispose water.
    - Boil in water for ~50 min covered. Use 3:1 water/beans. 2 cups of beans will go a long way.
    - Add diced onions, garlic, carrots and/or celery and cook another 10 min. If you want to cheat, use dry onions and Garlic Powder.
    - Season with salt to your taste and a pinch of cumin.
    - You may mash some of the beans against the pot's walls to make it thicker.

Eat with brown rice. to cook it from scratch, simmer (not boil) rice covered for ~50 min using 2.5:1 water/rice ratio. don't stir, mess or look funny at the rice until the water dries or it will get sticky. Don't let it burn...

• Report Abuse

Posted by fcp at 03/23/10 11:17:39

2) Couscous (look for whole grain)
    - Put 1 1/2 Cup of water to boil with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, a teaspoon of Olive Oil, a pinch of cumin, pinch of paprica and a pinch of cinnamon. Some people like a pinch of curry.
    - chop whatever vegetables you have available that don't need a lot of cooking (zucchini, onion, tomato, spinach). Use caned vegetables if you want.
    - Add vegetables and a cup of couscous to boiling water, turn off heat and let it sit for some 3 min. stir and let sit another 2 min.
    If you are missing ingredients (other than the couscous...) improvise. You can't mess this up, no matter how hard you try.

Report Abuse

Posted by andreyman3d2k at 09/13/10 17:20:55

I am surprised noone mentioned seitan yet! Very nutritious, high-protein, incredibly cheap and easy to make (2 core ingredients, one of which is water!) and can be made to taste like whatever you add to it. The trick is finding vital wheat gluten -- but it's actually no trick at all. Here:

www.amazon.com/Hodgson-Mill-Gluten-Vitamin-6-5-Ounce/dp/B000FDMLVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1284423613&sr=8-1

(yes, that's for an 8-pack)

Super cheap, and this will last a looong time. Doen;t get better than that. (Oh and there are tons of instructions/vids on how to make it -- just google it)

Andrey

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 09/20/10 00:41:31

I second the couscous.

My mode of preparation varies a bit ... I normally add a can of tomatos (you have those from your pasta-with-tomato shopping).

I chop up the veggies and sautee them in a pan, adding half the tomato to the vegetables, the other half I add (together withe the boiling water) to the couscous (be sure to get the pre-cooked variety) that then has to soak for ~ 10 minutes. After those 10 minutes I combine the couscous with the sauteed vegetables, done! I normally also add a bit of sugar and vinegar to the vegetable sauce to increase the 'tomato' taste.

As was already mentioned, it hardly takes more than 10 minutes, and can be served hot (as main or side dish) or cold (as salad). Give it a try!

Best regards,
    Andy

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support