Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi all! First off, I am not a Vegan, nor am I a vegetarian. However, I am the only cook in the house, and I like to try to accommodate everyone. So, when my Vegan daughter returns home from school, I have to rearrange the recipes a bit to suit her needs. Anyway...when I make a big panful of stir-fried vegetables (which I love), I usually finish it off by adding a tablespoon or two of butter, which I season with basil and possibly some Herb de Province. Does anyone know of a GOOD butter substitute that I could use in this mix that would immitate the taste and texture of butter? I'd even appreciate the brand name, if you have it. Thanks for your help!

Responses (9)

• Report Abuse

Posted by bossman at 10/17/13 11:02:57

Any quality olive oil should work. Not just any oil will do - try it with bread first, you'll know if you've got the right one.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 10/17/13 11:17:25

Hi Leweill,
    First, if we can take a moment to acknowledge your awesomeness. You definitely win the prize for Parenting Extraordinaire. You are not even vegan and you're looking out for your daughter like this. I'm seriously impressed. Which brings me to my next question: Are you adopting? : )

Seriously though, you're in luck b/c there are a number of incredible butter substitutes on the market. My absolute all-time favorite is Earth Balance natural buttery spread ORIGINAL.

It comes in a yellow container like this:
    http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/product/original-buttery-spread/

Not only is it awesome simply spread on a loaf of french bread but you can fry, saute, bake with it, you name it. The Earth Balance brand has a ton of products. They have spreads, culinary spreads like "organic coconut" and baking sticks. They have a new Omega-3 Buttery Spread and Soy-free Buttery Sticks which I haven't tried yet. They have whipped butter and olive oil butter which are great for variety. It's a lot of fun trying them all. But the one I come back to time and time again is the Original flavor.

You can get Earth Balance products at Whole Foods or your local health food store. Most regular grocery stores won't carry the entire product line, but they will have the Original flavor.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Ward at 10/17/13 17:20:38

Earth Balance

• Report Abuse

Posted by leweill at 10/17/13 21:16:17

To everyone...thanks for the suggestions. And to happycowgirl, thank you for the kinds words. I do love to cook, which is why my wife never has really learned. Then again, we've been together for 38 years now, and she's always enjoyed everything I've made. She's a wonderful woman, and I'm pretty darn lucky.

Anyway, back to the topic, I have tried olive oil, which does work for some things, but I'm not sure that I can get that buttery taste out of it. But thanks, bossman...I will try it, as I'll try the earthbalance products as well. I often experiment with small batches that I don't even use for meals, just to test them.

This whole Vegan cooking thing has been a challenge, especially since I'm not of that mindset. Believe it or not, the hardest thing I had to do was make Vegan chocolate chip cookies last summer, when she was home. It was hard because I had to do THREE substitutions: for the egg (used applesauce), for the butter (used oil, but I don't remember which one), and for the chocolate chip, which had been milk chocolate. I found a Vegan chocolate chip that worked well. Funny thing was, the cookies tasted as good as my original recipe! See - you can teach an old dog (me) new tricks!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Squatsore at 10/21/13 23:15:40

very nice topic for starters like me.thanks

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 11/08/13 07:47:38

Try to use cold-pressed virgin olive oil, organic if possible. I add a few sprigs of rosemary to each new bottle to give it a hint of buttery flavor.

• Report Abuse

Posted by aiyanct at 12/09/13 22:21:07

Instead of butter, you can add 2 drops of ghee which smell good and healthy too. Or You can add yogurt cream in final touch of your fried recipe. As before folk said you first try out in applying out in bread pieces and have it or try to your daughter if she likes please go ahead with pleasure. I think she have a great caring Dad. Lucky daughter:) God bless you both with healthy.

• Report Abuse

Posted by savetheanimals at 12/10/13 21:17:36

http://www.isitvegan.com/2011/12/18/is-ghee-vegan/

"Ghee is a traditional Indian ingredient used in many dishes. It’s a dairy derivative and is essentially liquid butter. Not vegan."

Ghee and yogurt cream is not vegan. As said before the best vegan butter substitute is earth balance.

http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/product/original-buttery-spread/

• Report Abuse

Posted by Technicality at 01/15/14 14:48:12

I've never used Earth Balance, so I will leave that to the others.

Virgin coconut oil will be a nice addition to your stir fry and give you a burst of flavor like that butter does. I think you'll find you like to use in your non-vegan dishes also. For example pop your popcorn in it -- its awesome.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support