Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Attenpting to use a stir-fried meat 'substitute' in a dish, but I'm torn between tofu and tempeh.
Also if there any brands that taste more similar, that'd be helpful.
If it helps, I'm stir-frying it with sauce on a pan.
Thanks

Responses (10)

• Report Abuse

Posted by tsuminyaa at 11/13/16 09:35:38

IMO seitan is the closest to meat. I haven't yet made seitan myself, but when I buy stuff from the shops and want to impress meat eaters, I always go for seitan. It has the perfect chewyness, unlike tofu. I guess tofu would be good if you'd bake it in the oven, to make most of the moisture come out, but still I wouldn't say that it makes it similar to meat.

• Report Abuse

Posted by BreannaWhite at 11/13/16 16:49:43

@tsuminyaa Thanks! That helps, and I probably won't be baking any time soon!

• Report Abuse

Posted by ccaatt at 11/30/16 23:10:18

Hmm...seitan or tempeh definitely have more of the consistency. Tofu can be really satisfying but it takes a little trial and error to start preparing it the way you like. I've stopped expecting it to taste like meat and stopped trying to make it taste that way. I usually press for a little longer than normal and then marinate and bake it. Frying gives it a nice texture/consistency, but then you're eating a lot of oil...kind of takes away from the health factor. When we make stir fry we usually use tofu with a simple soy sauce/garlic chili sauce marinade (sometimes with a little agave too to balance the heat from the chili sauce).

• Report Abuse

Posted by ZacharyCarr at 02/28/17 02:54:41

I'd go with seitan or firm tofu personally but then again I really dislike tempeh

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 02/28/17 12:58:31

Zach-

There are literally hundreds of ways to prepare and serve tempeh. It's probably the best source of vegan protein available. Many folks "really dislike" tofu...it depends on how you use it.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Veganartistbjt at 03/10/17 23:29:06

tempeh is the BEST! I love it!! You can find a lot of helpful videos on YouTube!

https://youtu.be/_BGlH9ApRfM

Report Abuse

Posted by Star the magic vegan at 03/11/17 03:43:16

Do not try to imitate meat.

Meat is not food.

Would you like to find out if Tempeh or Tofu tastes like a shoe? Do you eat shoes? No, you do not eat shoes.

Tempeh tastes like Tempeh and Tofu tastes like Tofu.

This is how it works.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 03/12/17 11:07:11

Nuts like cashews or almonds can also be used in stir fries, and chickpeas hold up well in stir fries too. I like the chewiness of tempeh for stir fries.

I have actually bought commercial vegan veggie burger patties and cut them up and added them to casseroles and stir fries. In fact, tonight I plan to make vegan fettuccine and homemade mushroom gravy and will add cut up commercial vegan veggie burger patties, some fresh green beans, mushrooms, and onion all combined for a meal.

• Report Abuse

Posted by labtech468 at 03/15/17 02:41:17

All three (tofu, tempeh, seitan) are delicious if cooked well. I use different ones based on what type of flavor I'm looking for in a dish.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Molly.heinz at 03/23/17 12:58:31

I agree that it all depends on how you cook them so maybe you should try cooking it using something else but a pan.Three months ago i started to cook seitan in a multicooker https://multicooker.com/uk/catalog/multicookers/ so far i'm really satisfied with it, pm me and i will share some recipes with you!

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support