Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I recently discovered a local vegetarian supply store which provides a wide range of frozen mock meats from Taiwan. While I'm not overly enthusiastic with most "faux" meat, these products don't taste half bad. I've been using them mainly for exposing friends, family and neighbors to a cruelty free diet and occasionally as a snack for myself.

Now I'm pretty much in shock after reading these articles:
beforewisdom.com/blog/veganism/faux-meat-from-taiwan/
vegantaiwan.blogspot.com/2009/06/is-taiwan-vegan-paradise-it-seems.html

So my question is..How far has Taiwan vegetarian food standards come since this debacle?

Responses (2)

• Report Abuse

Posted by FeydHarkonnen at 11/03/11 01:48:49

I spoke with the owner of the store I'm getting these products from. She assures me the product lines she carries are all from reputable vendors and the problem in 2009 was an anomaly with companies that weren't strictly vegetarian food manufacturers. Her product lines ingredient labels are very detailed in English and even the spices and "flavors" are individually labeled as non-animal, non-meat sources.

I guess in the end it comes down to if I can really trust these products after reading the articles.... My initial gut feeling is probably not :(

• Report Abuse

Posted by FeydHarkonnen at 11/03/11 13:16:11

Did some more research on one of the more promenent food product lines found in this store. Here's their company website: www.vegefarm.com.tw/eng/index.php

We are the first domestic manufacture specializing in production variety of vegetarian frozen foods in Taiwan and also received the American taste award, Europe vegetarian society award & British vegan society certified in 2000. Vegefarm is a GMP international standard manufacture certified by HACCP in 2002 and S. G. S.-ISO22000: 2005 in 2007. We supply natural, healthy, delicious, meat-free and 100% preservative-free products meanwhile are distributed enjoyed worldwide. Please don't hesitate to contact with us for any possible business cooperation.

Company Name: VEGEFARM CORP.
    Business Type: Manufacturer
    Product/Service (We Sell): vegetarian foods, natural foods, No eggs foods, No cholesterol foods, health foods

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support