Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Why did they get best vegan seller or something award from Peta? When I read 2nd product I checked on the web says extract of goat blood?

Responses (35)

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/23/08 09:31:05

No - LUSH ingredients are all veggy - http://www.lush.co.uk/LushLife/WeBelieve.aspx

Vegan products on their USA site - http://lushusa.com

Here is the LUSH policy page - http://www.lush.co.uk/LushLife/StillAgainstAnimalTesting.aspx

It is their "no animal testing" policy which Peta appreciates.

The Peta page - http://www.peta.org.uk/feat/feat-products_testing.asp

Excerpt - "The only company we approve that isn't on the HCS list is Lush. They aren't eligible to join for technical reasons, but they have a great policy and a real commitment to getting rid of animal testing."

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 07/23/08 10:14:59

Not all their products are Vegan though so if that's an issue for you then make sure. All their Vegan products are well marked AND endorsed by The Vegan Society.
    LUSH rule and I am super lucky enough to get a whopping 50% off all the lovely products.

Betcha y'all wanna be my friend now.
    :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/24/08 03:31:56

no seriously theres goat blood soup, i would send you there official page where it says but its on serbian. So they re not all vegan so why are they supported by peta. They shouldnt be.

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 07/24/08 05:00:37

LUSH websites are the same in any language (I should coco my brother designed them)
    But send the link to the Serbian one anyway as my friend here is Serbian and will translate it for me.

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/25/08 13:06:51

no guys im right, i was bored the other day and decided to send Peta a letter questioning about lush goat soup, and they said they support lush because of nonanimal testing not for aimal thing in products. In other words they know they sell non vegan things and some vegan tings. And why you would need your friend to tell ya when i know serbian, and im telling you what is says.

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/25/08 13:09:05

Wheres your friend from anyway? Il send you the page if you insist but im not here to make myself clean in your eyes.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/25/08 14:13:11

When you write "soup" do you mean "soap"?

Lush UK's soaps are all veggy.

You must be talking about a different company with a similar name Pekmez.

"Accentuate the positive" - Lush UK are not 100% vegan but they are a whole lot better than most other cosmetic companies.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/25/08 14:37:24

Serbia related thought -

Kofi Annan & co were asked to take care of the health of Slobodan Milosevic - http://www.apisgroup.org/article.html?id=971

Excerpt - "Above all that, instead of four hours as reasonable length of daily proceedings, which would enable Mr. Milosevic with some time for preparation, as well as with time for daily walk in fresh air, regular meals and protection of general physical condition, the unbearable practice of daily proceedings lasting from 9 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. has been imposed again. If one has in mind that Mr. Milosevic is forced to be in the Tribunal building one hour before until one hour after the proceedings, and that the proceedings take place every working day, it becomes clear that he is deprived of all conditions necessary for protection of normal health condition."

Instead they gave him "killer food" & a killing schedule.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DeWaarheid/message/372

Excerpts

"Since, because Milosevic is brilliant and because they are lying, the Hague cannot "show" their trial, they are trying to defeat Mr. Milosevic the way they find most natural: by murdering him."

"He is given poor quality, greasy foods instead of the vegetable-centered diet required for a heart patient."

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 07/26/08 02:28:09

Pekmez it was you who said you would send me the page where it says there is goats blood in the soap.

I am the type of person who doesn't take what I hear at face value - I like to do my own research and find out for myself.

If you have some sort of documentation that says there is goats blood in a LUSH product then I for one am certainly interested to read it.As I'm sure others here would be too.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/26/08 03:56:30

Here it is - http://www.lush.co.yu/ - Lush's site for Serbia.

I could not find a soup page!

Here is the soap page - http://www.lush.co.yu/lista.php?katid=75

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 07/26/08 13:36:34

Well I stand corrected - it seems not all LUSH web sites are the same.

I've had a look at the Serbia site and the list of ingredients for all the soaps listed - and not one says anything about goats blood.

Pekmez can you please post the link to the particular soap you are referring to.

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/28/08 11:35:28

Like I said its the 2nd soap on the page that Jonny got. Well done Jonny. Anyway Treehuger how would you know if you dont understand. You dont beliveme guys even thou Peta said they not 100% vegan rather 100% not animal tested. Jonny you have all vegan cosmetic and other companies on peta site.I kow about Milosevic. It was too obvious. I knew as soon as they did it. Didnt need to read all that stuff

They not judging him for warcrimes, they do it for their own needs. The biggest pain he made to his own people. Thats why I was for trial here, not for going in some country wich is against the law of any country. Warcrimes that he is personally responsable for im dont know if its true or not. There was crimes by all three sides. The bigest crime is the war wich was made by USA and Nato, Germany and Vatican. I was watching a movie where foreign people are talking about the war, historians, and telling after the war there was public poll in Bosnia, how many people of the family you lost and the Serbs got biggest number. Remember Croats and Muslims with bombing from Nato and foreign troops on the ground was on one side, Serbs on the other until Croats and Muslims turn against eachother at the end of the war. Why did I wrote all this?

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/28/08 12:00:59

Thank you for contacting PETA about LUSH offering non-vegetarian products.As far as animal testing is concerned, LUSH deserves to be recognized. PETA has chosen to include all companies that do not test on animals on our list of companion animal food manufacturers, regardless of the ingredients that they use. The purpose of the list is to give everyone the opportunity to identify companies which don't test on animals. If companies stop conducting animal tests or have never conducted animal tests, we include them on our list. LUSH has gone far beyond just not testing on animals. They have also refused to buy any products that are tested on animals and they have even persuaded two ingredients manufacturers to stop animal testing completely. LUSH makes a point to offer and label vegetarian/vegan products and promotes other forms of testing.We would prefer that consumers buy products that are not tested on animals rather than products that are tested on animals—regardless of the ingredients. However, we would also prefer that consumers choose vegan products over non-vegan products wherever they can. Therefore, our list indicates which companies offer vegan and/or vegetarian products. This encourages readers to consider the cruelty involved in animal ingredients and ultimately helps them become even more compassionate consumers.To learn more about caring for companion animals, please visit http://www.HelpingAnimals.com. Thank you again for writing and for everything that you do to help animals.Sincerely,Paul J. SmithCorrespondence AssistantThe PETA Foundationhttp://www.PETA.org/

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/29/08 02:11:59

Here are comparative Serbian & English formula's.

Perhaps a word has 2 meanings?

Perhaps there is a mistranslation into the Serbian language?
    From the Serbia site - http://www.lush.co.yu/details.php?id=40

Alkmaar Soap
    SASTAV: Ekstrakt kozje krvi /Lonicera caprifolium/, ekstrakt tratora /Amaranthus hypochondiacus/, natrijum palmokerelat, natrijum stearat, natrijum lauril sulfat, titan dioksid, parfem, glicerin, jasminova esencija /Jasminum officinale/, vetivertovo ulje /Vetiveria zizanoides/, stiraksova smola /Storax/, natrijum hlorid.

From the US site - http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/00062?expand=Soap

Alkmaar Soap
    Honeysuckle Infusion (Lonicera capifolium), Amaranth Infusion (Amaranthus hypochondriacus), Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Titanium Dioxide, Perfume, Glycerine, Jasmine Absolute (Jasminum officinale), Vetivert Oil (Vetiveria zizanoides), Styrax Resinoid (Styrax Benzoin), Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Editronate.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/29/08 02:25:27

The giving of toxic "food" to people who are incarcerated deserves to be expanded separately.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/29/08 02:45:35

"Koza" is goat in Serbian.

So the problem must be here - "Ekstrakt kozje krvi".

In English this ingredient is "Honeysuckle Infusion" - an extract of the glorious flower Honeysuckle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeysuckle

"Blood" in Serbian is Serbian
    A krvni
    N krv

We have a case of "bad mistranslation".

So Pekmez is correct in what he says & I am sure that Lush will now be eager to correct the site.

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/29/08 02:46:44

well do you know what is lONICERA CAPRIFOLIUM - in serbian "kozje krvi" means goat blood. Maybe there is plant called lonicera that has a nickname goats blood. But very unlikely. Anyway this is pointless saying couse they not 100% vegan in fact vegan products are exception there, so dont think guys you buy it all vegan. You have the peta letter to me wich prooves it. Check 100% vegan retailers.

freshfromthefarm.us
    californianorth.com
    cocoonapothecary.com
    greenridgeherbals.com
    kindheartedwomen.com
    luvalla.com

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/29/08 02:51:44

Yes - Lush will now correct the page I think!

Lonicera capifolium is the flower Honeysuckle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeysuckle

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/29/08 03:01:33

Well maybe. But youre not comfirming its not 100% vegan store. That is the ultimate point. Did you speak with lush? If it is plant they dont need to correct it except maybe say its a plant. Well theres "blood" on other products. The reason i did so get into it is treehuger said he is really into lush and he didnt know they were not vegan.

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/29/08 03:04:35

So Jonny youre Stig, why didnt you say so?

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 07/29/08 03:08:07

That is exactly how I would have worked out the ingredients - by comparing them on each site - it's not rocket science.

LUSH have never claimed to be a Vegan company - they sell vegan products yes but they are not a Vegan company (see the difference?).

If I were you I would spend your energy on targeting a company that really do deserve it - like Proctor and Gamble.
    Out of the options available LUSH are WAY down on the list of baddies so just get over it.

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/29/08 03:36:24

I agree on everything you said, butdont be so mean. I think its not very fair to give someone award saying its vegan retailer to me it means they are all vegan retailer. Give the award to someone genuine.yes i see the difference, i just aint seeing why you are agreeing to lesser evil. Everyone knows about p AND g.

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/29/08 03:44:49

and why did you make all the fuz about goatblood if you say "oh i know theyre not vegan"?

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 07/29/08 04:19:21

If you go back and read my first reply to you Pekmez - you will see that I clearly stated that not all LUSH products are vegan. The ones that are, are endorsed by the vegan society and I trust them implicitly.
    The reason I made a "fuss" as you call it, though I fail to see how asking for someone to back up what they say with some documentation is making a fuss, is because I personally don't believe LUSH put goats blood in their soaps.
    And I wanted proof.

Forgive me if I came across as mean Pekmez - that wasn't my intention.
    But I like to research claims thoroughly before I form an opinion - it will be an educated opinion at least.

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/30/08 10:13:05

wait if its nonvegan product it has some kind of blood, not when its milk or honey but other stuuf yes.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 07/30/08 14:10:02

The most common animal products found in soaps are lard, honey, beeswax, and milk. I have never seen a soap with blood in it. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I've never seen it and wouldn't see any reason a soapmaker would want to add it to their products.

I'm in the planning stages of a coconut milk soap, I'm so excited to see how that one comes out!

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/31/08 02:28:32

Hi Tatania - we have worked out that the "goats blood" is a mistake on the site - John

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/31/08 02:38:40

Pekmez - I agree with you wholeheartedly in enthusiastically supporting & promoting 100% vegan businesses.

Still though I choose to also support companies such as Lush who are very much "on the way" to becoming fully cruelty free.

I conclude that Lush are tangibly reducing animal suffering & murder by making & selling many vegan products.

Few people yet understand / appreciate how cows, buffalos, goats, sheep etc. are horribly tortured to produce "dairy" & how bees are slaughtered to produce honey / beeswax / propolis etc.

Nowadays HappyCow & so many other fine sites are getting the message out that these are "blood tainted" substances.

The step away from ingesting gross flesh & foetuses / eggs was an easy one for me.

"Kicking" my twisted addiction to ingesting cruelly produced dairy & honey took me many more years to achieve.

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 07/31/08 05:53:48

We didnt worked out its a mestake its a plant just on serbian its called Goats blood. Im confused as you.
    I kick off all those things the day I decided to. Wich Im very proud of.
    Thank you John for kind post.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 07/31/08 08:52:15

Oh ok, glad you guys got that all worked out! I was trying to keep up with the thread but I guess I got confused a little bit.

I can't wait until I start selling my soaps online (right now I'm just part of an art co-op), mine are all vegan ^_^

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 08/01/08 05:35:44

ura!

Report Abuse

Posted by darky_ at 09/01/08 11:30:25

It is pretty damn confusing and frustrating when a herb or flower is named something afetr a part of an animal. So Goats Blood is also a flower/herb??

Theres also a "Healing" Herb called Cats Claw...I'm sure most people know this. :)
    But Just in case...watch out for these names.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 09/17/08 07:11:17

"I'm in the planning stages of a coconut milk soap, I'm so excited to see how that one comes out!"

Tatania - watch this before you start your production - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkCZRnB3VFg - some ideas for more profit / enjoyment.

This second coconut related clip was filmed somewhere close to San Diego - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzcLQRXW6B0

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 09/17/08 08:55:23

Johnny - Thanks for the links, I will check those out this evening!

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 09/17/08 19:50:44

In Thailand the coconut shells are made into bowls / spoons / beads etc. - nothing is wasted - the smallest offcuts become charcoal briquettes - think "Henry Ford" - also often a veggy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford

+ Ford was interested in engineered woods ("Better wood can be made than is grown") (at this time plywood and particle board were little more than experimental ideas); corn as a fuel source, via both corn oil and ethanol; and the potential uses of cotton. Ford was instrumental in developing charcoal briquets, under the brand name "Kingsford". His brother in law, E.G. Kingsford, used wood scraps from the Ford factory to make the briquets. +

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support